peasandcarrots

EDH Tiers

3 posts in this topic

I know it comes down to deck construction, but are their 'tiers' for casual/multiplayer Commander? I want to get a good feel for how different decks/archetypes stack up so that I don't end up bringing an over/underpowered deck to a friendly game. Is there analysis or conventional wisdom on this? what do you think?

Lasraik and JesGolbez like this

Tough question, and it really depends on your group.

There are definitely elite decks which are combo/wanker decks or Atraxa decks that proliferate a bunch of planeswalkers.

Always good to have 2-3 decks of maybe various power levels. There are many 'fair' commenders, so maybe build around those. 

While a valid concern.. after playing with all levels and against all levels.. if you are playing in a game of 4 people or more, the OP decks tend to get targeted early.

That said.. its a fun game and I treat it more like poker or RISK then I do magic. You have to talk up/down your hand (or your opponents hand/board) so that they are the ones targeted and not you. Example - "Wow we really need a board wipe (while you hold on to a good creature in your hand)"