Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Lasraik

Plans for the weekend 30/6/18

10 posts in this topic

I'm finishing off a working 9 12+ hour work days in the last 10 days, so I'm looking forward to this weekend more than usual.

Planning on mounting two more speakers on the pergula/patio and tidying up some wires, then finishing the other sun shade.  I'm waiting for these pictures before I make the thread :) 

What about you all?

Stayed up way too late playing xbox last night.

Today,  (Wife's) Family party and my buddies son graduation party.

Nursing a hangover tomorrow.

Short work week next week. Then heading to Florida for some vaca.

Argentina v France was a fun game to watch today.

Lasraik likes this

Friday night I had a night out with my team of colleagues, and the mrs. had a night out with our kids' school team, Participation Council, and Parent council. (She's in the last one.) The kids were sleeping over, so we had a quiet Saturday morning together, after which she went to her sister's baby shower. (Which I still find a weird party.) I stayed home and had a quiet afternoon too waiting for the kids to come home. This afternoon my wife had a high ta with friends, and it was my plan to watch the Formula 1 race of Austria. Suddenly our daughter was picked up by friends and went to the pool (we have a village run outdoor pool). Then our boy also decided he wanted to go to the pool. But we feel he's to young to go unsupervised... Luckily there were more kids his age there, so me and a few other dads watched the race on our phones. :)

Max won!

Lasraik likes this

Busy one. 

Friday, I took my management team out for an away day. Hired a room upstairs in a local bar. Went through plans for the next academic year and some high level development stuff. They were very disappointing, by not wishing to stick around for a beer afterwards.

I took Fin to Rugby on Sat. He's moving up to contact ruby over the next few years, so they're learning to fall and perform certain physical moves properly. They had a medals ceremony too. Fin is the one looking at me in the attached shot. Then we went shopping for last minute holiday clothes.

Sun, my wife was working 12 hours. so Fin and I had a lazy day, playing a bit of FC5 and watching a few films - Isle of Dogs and Pacific Rim 2.

Las: regarding your 9 days of 12 hours. That sounds horrible. Is that unusual? Are you paid for that load of extra work? Are you paid at an enhanced rate? I have heard over the years (and after watching Set It Up recently) that there is a common US work ethic that forces anyone who wants to succeed, to work all the hours for little reward. Is this just a big city thing? 

20180630_142034_HDR.jpg

Lasraik and Boag like this

27 minutes ago, Pasanda said:

Las: regarding your 9 days of 12 hours. That sounds horrible. Is that unusual? Are you paid for that load of extra work? Are you paid at an enhanced rate? I have heard over the years (and after watching Set It Up recently) that there is a common US work ethic that forces anyone who wants to succeed, to work all the hours for little reward. Is this just a big city thing? 

It is horrible.  That stretch sounds especially gruesome.  You have a system update or something?

In my experience, its not a big city thing.  Depending on the company/manager, it can be miserable.  Especially in IT, where installs are done during off hours and problems can happen at anytime.  I try to be very cognizant of that and give out comp time, especially after weekends of long installs.

Nothing extra in terms of pay, you are on salary.

Pasanda and Lasraik like this

Posted (edited)

Tough indeed.

We work 37 hours a week and get 35 days annual leave per annum. We also have flexible working - as long as core service support hours are covered, staff can do those 37 hours to suit themselves and their family commitments fairly across the team.

For upgrades etc. You are asked if you are willing to do it out of hours. The infrastructure guys are told when they apply for the post, that there may be a requirement from time to time. It is never mandatory. But i think i have been lucky, in that i've always had staff who are willing. If you do work outside of hours, you get overtime, which is normal pay * 1.5 or * 2 for Sundays and bank holidays. Or you can take it back as TOIL - "Time Off In Lieu".

I tend to sign off about 5-10 hours overtime per month across 50 staff on average.

I work longer hours occasionally because i need to, and want to, and can. That is about 2-3 hours per week. My manager does not expect that. I don't get paid for it.

I used to work 12-16 hours days when i was developing patient systems for Healthcare. I'd never do anything like that again, unless i was being paid mega-bucks, or my career depended on it. You never get it back.

Edited by Pasanda
Lasraik likes this

3 hours ago, Pasanda said:

We work 37 hours a week and get 35 days annual leave per annum.

I get 60 days leave per year. ;) 

Truth be told, a normal workweek here is 38 hours, but as a teacher you're supposed to work 42.5 hours a week to make up for about 22 of those days. Now, as a primary school teacher you make them easily. And then some. The last few years I was at work for atleast 1 evening a week most of the time, and often enough 2. But... in my new job I've gotten the hours of an older teacher (who had old-day leave) in secondary school. I added my hours quickly and I've been doing about 25 hours since April. And I'm making a few hundred Euros more too. :) They're letting me be for now, because I'm new and teach an extremely difficult class. Next year will be thougher. Going back to school myself to get a degree, and more hours teaching. But untill then I'm not complaining. Saving a ton of money in daycare fees too, as I'm able to pick up the kids from school twice a week. 

Lasraik likes this

On 7/2/2018 at 5:33 AM, Pasanda said:

Are you paid for that load of extra work? Are you paid at an enhanced rate? I have heard over the years (and after watching Set It Up recently) that there is a common US work ethic that forces anyone who wants to succeed, to work all the hours for little reward. Is this just a big city thing? 

It's not too unusual, I volunteered for a couple of days due to another supervisor having scheduled vacation.  I get paid time and a half when I work overtime, so it adds up pretty fast.  I usually do a long stretch once or twice a year.  Last year I did a really long stretch working graveyard and got really sick after, I think I over did it.  

Fin getting into Rugby?  Here in the states more and more parents are taking their kids out of contact sports due to fears of concussions and physical injuries, is that happening there, too?

Since Pas was so kind to share a pic, here's a few of Bram.

Happy to go to the pool, despite his dad wanting to see F1, last Sunday.

1.thumb.jpg.e6987e7d86e5986fc83b7d86883b3468.jpg

It seems people do pamper their kids more nowadays. Today we went bowling with my class of secondary school 1st graders. 12 & 13 year olds. But even though it is in the same town as their school, almost half the parents brought them by car... :huh: From that age, anything within a 20km radius I had to cycle. Perhaps that's just me turning into an old goat though. 

Rugby isn't a big sport here. But football remains number 1 by a long shot. It's not a full contact sport, but especially on amateur level you can get roughed up pretty badly. I know, you wouldn't think so watching the pros... Mostly it's the young adults, just starting their careers, that are kind of forced to quit by employers. These employers do not appreciate the high amount of ankle injuries causing sick days.

Bram isn't into footie much though, he's more the judo type. If he had his way he'd take up boxing, but his mum does not approve. :)

2.thumb.jpg.14a9c4510705571f808c85b7ad6d1262.jpg3.thumb.jpg.df34ba3339b19236ac590387d8d3e35c.jpg

Boag likes this