Lasraik

Rant time.

10 posts in this topic

For those of you who use Twitter - I don't know how you do it.  The only time I use it is for FridayMTG and here and there through the week, but whenever I open the site I'm met with someone complaining about someone else doing something they don't like or don't think they should have been doing/done.

And it's not civil conversations, it turns nasty and into some unhinged rants.  It seems to be getting worse. How did everything get so toxic?  I'm not even calling any one group of people out, it's almost everywhere you look.  Whatever side people are on, there is just awful things being said about and to each other.  Jeremy vs. Wedge, Jeremy vs. TCC, TCC vs. Alpha Investments, MTG Lion vs. whoever it is this week.  Why does it matter?  Who cares?  What does this have to do with MTG?  Why is does their ridiculous personal drama always seem to seep into everything online?

If I were a non MTG player I would think most people who play this game are at the least unpleasant to be around.  What's funny is whenever I play at my LGS or with friends 99% of the people there have no idea what's going on on Twitter, YouTube or in the so called 'community'.   

It makes me happy that the nonsense and drama hasn't really manifested itself here.  Let's have fun, talk MTG and making each other miserable playing the game using cheap janky infinite combos or awful cards (even control), not online with insults and demands on how everyone else should prescribe to your way of thinking.  Nobody fucking cares and the people who hang onto your every word are weak minded people who would believe almost anything. 

Think for yourself.  Agree to disagree.  Recognize not everyone believes what you believe or thinks what you think, and that's OK.  Be a good person.  Don't be an asshole.  Help each other.  Have fun playing this game and have fun playing it with people you enjoy being around.  

14 hours ago, ChuckWagonMTG said:

This is sooo flippin true. I've blocked more than a few people because I hate seeing my feed just packed with bitching. 

You know, this is interesting because I've always considered myself to be as apolitical as possible on twitter, yet I've ended up blocked by people.  Like this one @Vronos

https://twitter.com/Vronos

And of course I have *no* idea why, lol.   The weirdest thing is that I think you can be 'muted' rather than blocked, and that you can just log out of twitter and see the person's profile anyway!  

Anyhow, my point is I try not to get involved in the 'drama', but it just seems to suck you in.   My advice is to gloss over it, ignore it, and move on because just like any forum there is some interesting stuff on there.  In the case above, for example, I just load an alternate browser so I can see their spoilers/artwork, etc. (although I'd really like to know what I said/did to be blocked, lol)

:)

Lasraik and ChuckWagonMTG like this

55 minutes ago, MTGandME said:

You know, this is interesting because I've always considered myself to be as apolitical as possible on twitter, yet I've ended up blocked by people.  Like this one @Vronos

And of course I have *no* idea why, lol. The weirdest thing is that I think you can be 'muted' rather than blocked, and that you can just log out of twitter and see the person's profile anyway!

Actually, some people use bots to auto-block anyone who follows Unsleeved Media or The Mana Source, so that could be it. *shrug* =/

Anyway, I agree, @Lasraik. It's a fucking cesspit, and both sides are wallowing of it. Fortunately most people in the REAL world are relatively mellow and cool. It's ironic, I saw a meme not long ago that when the internet first started taking off you met people online to get away from the shitheads you know in person. Now it seems to be the opposite.

Lasraik and JesGolbez like this

2 hours ago, MTGandME said:

And of course I have *no* idea why, lol.   The weirdest thing is that I think you can be 'muted' rather than blocked, and that you can just log out of twitter and see the person's profile anyway!  

Anyhow, my point is I try not to get involved in the 'drama', but it just seems to suck you in.   My advice is to gloss over it, ignore it, and move on because just like any forum there is some interesting stuff on there.  In the case above, for example, I just load an alternate browser so I can see their spoilers/artwork, etc. (although I'd really like to know what I said/did to be blocked, lol)

:)

You are one of the nicest people I've met online, why anyone would block you of all people is a mystery to me.  It just has a way of spreading onto everyone even when you actively try to avoid it.  I've seen some creators that are on the forum make an off the cuff comment about a bigger creator and it turn into a huge witch hunt over something really silly.  It's nuts.

MTGandME and JesGolbez like this

I deleted mine in late June, and don't miss it. I was using it less and less.

Here is what I wrote on my Facebooks:

"Deleted my little-used twitter account and feel much better for it. It's a terrible place to have an actual conversation, and all people ever do is whine and cry about meaningless stuff. If the app disappeared off of the face of the planet, almost nothing of value would be lost."

"Honest question: How would you make Twitter worth a damn? Anything you can get on twitter you can likely find on Facebook and Reddit.

I have a few major hobbies and interests: Comedy, Politics, Hockey, Baseball, and Magic the Gathering…plus some video games and such.

Comedy – Twitter is a poor platform for comedy, and most comedians don’t do much with twitter other than promote shows. The most active ones are screeching SJW’s (ala Sarah Silverman), who forgot what comedy is actually about. Nothing is worse than a comedian who becomes preachy and falls into the ‘Clapter’ trap. 

Sorry, another lazy joke about Donald Trump is not really worth reading (and another reason why The Daily Show and Bill Maher are worthless now). Podcasts are where it is at. 

Politics – Even worse nowadays. Nuance? Hah… 

Hockey – Infected by Church of Corsi, and/or shrieking SJW types. Again, hard to have any really good conversations on this platform. Livetweeting games is one of the dumbest, masturbatory things one can do. (I tried it once and….meh). Unfortunately, there really aren’t many places to talk hockey very well… reddit is garbage for conversations, HFBoards was never good, and blogs are pretty much dead or team circlejerks. 

Baseball – Actually not bad, but reddit has the same content.

Magic the Gathering – The worst. The twitter community is vocal, whiny, and is pretty much in constant witch hunt mode. If you judged the playerbase simply by this minority of busybodies, you’d think every Magic player is a purple-haired trans feminist language policer, or that Hasbro/Wotc is evil incarnate. 

I deleted/muted a bunch of people and then was left with… not much. 
Facebook has its many flaws, but at least you can have discussions."

I for one enjoy twitter a lot.

People can yell and scream and write angry tweets but honestly its so easy to just ignore on there.

Like this latest beef with SaffronOlive. All he did was re-post reddit (which i think is a bigger problem then twitter) and now is being "blamed" for a LGS losing its WPN. Really people? One tweet is not going to have a company revoke a WPN from a business. So much over reacting

The upside of the content on twitter far outweighs the dumbasses. I would likely never found all your great content without it.

Lasraik likes this

On 7/19/2018 at 0:38 PM, TheCandyMan said:

I for one enjoy twitter a lot.

People can yell and scream and write angry tweets but honestly its so easy to just ignore on there.

Like this latest beef with SaffronOlive. All he did was re-post reddit (which i think is a bigger problem then twitter) and now is being "blamed" for a LGS losing its WPN. Really people? One tweet is not going to have a company revoke a WPN from a business. So much over reacting

The upside of the content on twitter far outweighs the dumbasses. I would likely never found all your great content without it.

That's the upside, finding creators you probably wouldn't have otherwise.  

TheCandyMan and King of Jank like this