Dunnar

Drink of choice

49 posts in this topic

In another thread @Lasraik mentioned buying a bottle of scotch.  That and the podcast I listen to ... http://czabecast.libsyn.com/72518-bourbon-scotch-and-whiskey-oh-my

What is your beverage of choice?

I keep a bottle of Johnny Walker in the house for my uncle when he comes over, a bottle of Captain Morgan for my other uncle, a bottle of Crown for my brother in law.  All of them have a glass on ice.

I drink Bud Light and red wine, usually Cabernet or Merlot ... nothing sweet.  I'm not a beer connoisseur and actually don't care for the flavor.  If given the choice, my wife would pick an ice cold beer.  I would pick an ice cold Coke.

If you drink something like Scotch, or Bourbon, or Whiskey ... I am genuinely curious how you developed a taste for it?  Does it really taste good to you?

I am such a sissy when it comes to hard spirits and cannot stand the taste of any of that stuff.  If I do it, it has to be in a shot.  Wish I could order something and sip it, but it just tastes like ass.

JesGolbez and Lasraik like this

I'm with you on hard alcohol, Dunnar.  I use it mostly for cooking. Although, back when I was allowed to drink coffee, I liked mine with a splash of Baileys ... otherwise I'd just drink it black. These days now, I get my daily caffeine allowance from black tea (hot or iced), and have gained a taste for Earl Grey and Darjeeling. I drink water most other times. It is very rare for me to drink a soda (doc says "no").  I do have an occasional cold bottle of beer if it is hot out and I'm manning the bbq grill. Dinner with the in-laws usually includes a polite small glass of wine (often a red, but occasionally a white if the meal is poultry - e.g., Thanksgiving turkey).

35 minutes ago, Elovia said:

I'm with you on hard alcohol, Dunnar.  I use it mostly for cooking. Although, back when I was allowed to drink coffee, I liked mine with a splash of Baileys ... otherwise I'd just drink it black. These days now, I get my daily caffeine allowance from black tea (hot or iced), and have gained a taste for Earl Grey and Darjeeling. I drink water most other times. It is very rare for me to drink a soda (doc says "no").  I do have an occasional cold bottle of beer if it is hot out and I'm manning the bbq grill. Dinner with the in-laws usually includes a polite small glass of wine (often a red, but occasionally a white if the meal is poultry - e.g., Thanksgiving turkey).

Funny ... after seeing pictures of your desk/gaming area, I always pictured you with a glass of Scotch with those frozen rocks specially made to chill, yet not water down the drink.

Elovia likes this

I like a lot of drinks. I start the day with half a glass of orange juice and some milk. Then 2 cups of coffee in the morning. At lunch it's (skimmed) milk, and water the rest of the day/evening. In the weekends I indulge on some Coca Cola preferably, but Fanta is fine too.

When it comes to alcohol, I rarely drink these days. At home some Radler or apple cider now and again, and when at a party I might drink beer. I do have some nice mead (locally made) & scotch in the cupboard for certain occasions. No blends, only single malts. Glenmorangie is a nice accesible brand and not too expensive. My wife likexs Laphroaig a lot, and Scapa. The latter is becoming hard to come by, as the distillery closed years ago. Both are quite peaty. I like Macallan, which is pretty smooth and Old Pulteny, which is quite... uhm... woody? :) 

<cracks knuckles> Ahhhhh. Where to start....

Port was mentioned. I also love port. I make a hot port, which is essentially the same as hot Whiskey (Whiskey brown sugar to taste, a slice or two of lemon studded with cloves. Topped up with just-off-boiling water.) 

Whiskey - i don't like peated or overly oaked Whiskey. I have a tendency towards Irish Whiskeys, which are often sweeter. I'm not a big fan of Bourbon; i tend to find it quite rough and unsophisticated.

Ales - i don't like lager, but will drink it if there's nothing else, i'm hot, and the lager is cold. I currently am in love with hoppy ales - IPA and the like. But will try and usually enjoy any real ale. I find the likes of Bud, but light, miller all very watery. I do quite like blue moon, and the dark modelo. I found an amazing IPA called Founders, in a bar in Manhattan, and found a reason to go back as many nights as possible over the past week.

I love most ciders (hard cider right? I thought you called non alcoholic apple juice cider). Th UK has some fabulous ciders around at the mo. I haven't found anything to write home about in the US yet. Although i am trying to stay clear of cider, due to the sugar content being so high.

I tend to gravitate toward drinks with a stronger alcohol content. The US used to be famous for it's watery beers. Not any more. I just spent a month finding and drinking fabulous ales every night, from almost every local supermarket and bar in the US.

My desert island (read last) drink would probably be a very strong pina colada, made with fresh pineapple

JesGolbez likes this

14 hours ago, Dunnar said:

In another thread @Lasraik mentioned buying a bottle of scotch.  That and the podcast I listen to ... http://czabecast.libsyn.com/72518-bourbon-scotch-and-whiskey-oh-my

What is your beverage of choice?

I keep a bottle of Johnny Walker in the house for my uncle when he comes over, a bottle of Captain Morgan for my other uncle, a bottle of Crown for my brother in law.  All of them have a glass on ice.

I drink Bud Light and red wine, usually Cabernet or Merlot ... nothing sweet.  I'm not a beer connoisseur and actually don't care for the flavor.  If given the choice, my wife would pick an ice cold beer.  I would pick an ice cold Coke.

If you drink something like Scotch, or Bourbon, or Whiskey ... I am genuinely curious how you developed a taste for it?  Does it really taste good to you?

I am such a sissy when it comes to hard spirits and cannot stand the taste of any of that stuff.  If I do it, it has to be in a shot.  Wish I could order something and sip it, but it just tastes like ass.

Scotch and Whiskey are a bit of an acquired taste.  Usually the first drink is the harshest, but once you get past that you start identifying flavors.  

My drink of choice depends on the situation and my mood.  Usually save my scotch, bourbon or whiskey for time with friends so I usually go for a craft beer.

My FAVORITE is actually a family tradition. First, the backstory. Back many, many generations, I had a relative named Thomas Parr. The legend goes that he was born in 1483 and did not pass until 1635, making him 152. Years later, another family member started a distillery and named the blended scotch whisky "Grand Old Parr". I drink the regular Grand Old Parr, but am very fond of Old Parr (a 15 year) and Old Parr Superior (18 Year), but they are very pricy. Combine that with the fact that it's not allowed to be sold in my state and you get something that's rather hard to get ahold of and wicked expensive to ship. If you ever get the chance to try it though, it's worth every penny.

On 8/1/2018 at 0:41 PM, JesGolbez said:

Well, it depends on the mood and time of year.

1. Port (wine) - Warms me up on a colder winter day

2. Baileys + Milk

3. Cider - My go-to 'normal' drink of choice

4. Chocovine

I also really enjoy a nice Port, but it's mostly a special occasion thing.

I never got into scotch or whiskeys, but I'll sip a nice spiced rum or even a reposado tequila on the rocks once in a while.

On 8/2/2018 at 8:50 PM, JesGolbez said:

@Pasanda how do you do a hot Port? I am intrigued..

So use a 12 oz glass with a handle - it's a visual and well as a taste experience.

Add a slice or three of lemon, and give them a squeeze into the glass.

Add 4-6 cloves.

The amount of port you use needs to be experimented with. As a guide, i go for about 1/5th to a 1/4 of the glass. Which is probably around 3-4 oz, or double what you'd use for a hot whiskey (port is half the alcohol of whisky).

Add sugar to taste. I go with brown sugar, around 2-3 teaspoons. Again, you need to adjust to taste.

Top the whole lot up with just-off boiling water. Stir well and leave it a few minutes for the cloves to infuse and the temperature to become tolerable.

The cloves will last a few glasses and are often stronger in the 2nd (or 3rd, or 4th, or 5th......) glass.

The cloves float around for 10 mins, and eventually sink. If that bothers you, some people stud the lemon with the cloves.

Out of interest, this drink is routinely served in pub in Ireland during winter months, and is particularly common in Dublin.

My Aunt, who live on a farm in Ireland makes fabulous hot port and hot whisky. When i visit her, it's never without a bottle of Powers, a lemon, and a pot of cloves, as a rather unsubtle hint.

I dunno why sometimes apple juice is called cider, but yeah @JesGolbez and I both love hard Apple cider, although we skew sweet except for Strongbow.

i love sweet girly drinks like pina colada.

i love late harvest wines. Used to be big on ice wine but I seem to matured enough that I like the slightly less sweet late harvest instead. 

2 hours ago, JesGolbez said:

Want to level up your Sprite? Add some Sambuca to it (Alcohol that tastes like Black Licorice). One of my favourites, too :P 

Pfft, I drink Fireball. Although I may try that at some point. 

I'm a bad American. 

16 hours ago, Dunnar said:

Now that's a shot I don't mind ... so long as its chilled.

Even not chilled, it's good. 

I may or may not have blown through most of a bottle in one night when I learned my ex was cheating on me. 

16 hours ago, Dunnar said:

ci-fireball-cinnamon-whisky-355ddd0b8b3a

Its one of the staples for any US college student

I just like Fireball. 

18 hours ago, Pasanda said:

Decent whiskey can be fairly smooth. This stuff is like dragging the hairy nipples of a 90 year old whore across your tongue.

Yeah, that's fair.