Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Lasraik

No Man's Sky Next

52 posts in this topic

Has anyone tried No Man's Sky Next?  I'm hearing some really positive feedback from it after the last big update.

ChuckWagonMTG likes this

I just don't have the patience for grindy games anymore, I wouldn't be able to sit and play a game like DAoC now.

Dunnar likes this

21 hours ago, Lasraik said:

I just don't have the patience for grindy games anymore, I wouldn't be able to sit and play a game like DAoC now.

QFT.

Dunnar likes this

Enjoying it a lot.  Yeah, it's a little grindy, but that can be a good thing for mindless relaxation.  Except, it isn't quite mindless at the same time.  Hard to explain.  You have to always be conscious of your inventory levels and empty inventory slots.  There are more types of things than slots available ... until you get multiple hauler ships and exocraft, and until you expand your exosuit inventory ... but that's another story ...

The early game is a challenge, and it can feel like you're flailing trying to keep your head above water.  Mid-game is fun because there is so much to do.  I haven't seen late game yet, so no word on how that will play out.  I've got well over 60 hours in with many, many more to go, so I'd say at $30 price point there's good entertainment value.

I've mentioned elsewhere here, that I can spend a lot of time, or just a little in-game, and still accomplish goals.  So it isn't necessarily a tedious grind ... it's the busy kind.  Later on, when you get a refiner, you can actually multiply materials by looping them through selected recipes (e.g., 2x -> 1y -> 4x, repeat).  This cuts down on the need for roaming and gathering stuff, but also puts a bit of a squeeze on available inventory space.

I dropped by tonight because I had to say goodbye to an old friend - my third fighter ship purchased with hard earned money from the early days (the first two were not very memorable or notable: the first was a free starter, and the second was a minor upgrade to the starter).  This ship (shown below) is perhaps one of the coolest little fighters that I've seen in-game, was a class upgrade (i.e., from C to B), cost me a cool 1.35 million units, and I haven't seen another quite like it around the trading posts or space stations.  Unfortunately it didn't have very many slots for inventory and tech upgrades (it had only 17+3).  We downed a good number of pirates, that ship and I, and found multiple planets in multiple systems together. I kept it as long as I could until I finally acquired the max number of ships I can have (6), and had to pass it off in favor of another model (a shuttle, no less) with more available space.

nms-ftr1.thumb.jpg.837de6e8f342503163af8d909da6d8d0.jpg

Edited by Elovia
Pasanda, Lasraik and Jag like this

Looks like the bastard child of a coupling between an x-wing and a TIE-fighter.

Edited by Pasanda

Yesterday, I happened upon an extreme weather, fiery storm planet in a new star system that I explored a few light years away from my home system.  Extreme weather planets are mostly a PITA with their rapidly recurring storm events, where if you're short on exosuit hazard protections (like me), you need to hunker down in your ship or other shelter for the duration (could be several minutes real time).  But they also provide decent risk vs. reward.

I took time to setup a phosphorous mine during the calm between a couple of the raging storms ... aaaannnnd ... look who showed up.  Yes, it was as mean as it looked.  On the bright side, I got the phosphorous I was after (I needed it to recharge my thermal protection), and as I flew around in the storms, I found quite a few storm crystals (translate to fast, big bucks) which enabled me to pick up a new fighter later that day.

mine.thumb.jpg.0de4b6539f4a34ad7414dc915b16169c.jpg

Edited by Elovia
Pasanda and Lasraik like this

I'm reminded  by rereading what I wrote that yesterday I traded in and bought two new fighter spaceships.  I was visiting a Vy'keen trading post when a distinctive looking large fighter landed.  I owned a medium-sized fighter at the time.  Note that size influences the maximum number of inventory and tech slots whereas class determines operating bonuses to systems such as damage, shields, and hyperdrive.

So I had enough cash for trade in to exchange my medium A-class fighter for the large B-class (a minor downgrade in operational capabilities for a significant increase in slots).  As I was standing there admiring my new acquisition, another distinctly different large A-class fighter landed (Vy'keen systems tend toward being fighter-heavy). I simply had to run over and take a look.  It turned out that the new fighter was more "perfect" in almost every way (at or near max values in every category).  Again, I still had the cash (barely) for a turnaround trade to an even better ship.

Now I'm near broke and heading back to that extreme weather planet to see if I can dredge up more of those storm crystals, and while doing so, spend a little (or lot) of time and resources working to increase my nanite bank balance.

Daddy needs to trick out his awesome ride with some sweet, sweet tech mods.  I'm good on fighters for now and will only consider any future fighter trade-ins if I hit the RNGesus lottery and come across the quintessentially perfect exotic fighter.  Haulers on the other hand ....... I still have room for growth.  :D

Edited by Elovia

It's a fun way to pass the cold, dark winter nights.  My mind stays sufficiently engaged, and I control how mindless or complex my adventures will be.  For reasons expressed in another thread on this forum, this game seems to hit my sweet spot for entertainment. 

The Steam and GoG community forums are still active (Steam more so than GoG), and the NMS community seems more helpful and lightheartedly fun than toxic or bitter like some others degenerate into.

So ... yeah.

Pasanda likes this

Just to clarify, is this game you're playing NMS, of NMSN a different game altogether. I have NMS on PS4 and haven't played for a year or so. If i start it up, will i get to play this game?

Edited by Pasanda
Elovia likes this

The game is No Man's Sky.  The latest major (free) update was called NEXT.  Previous updates were Foundations, Atlas Rising, and others not immediately available to my recollection.  I jumped on board after NEXT was a couple months old.  There have also been many minor updates over the years - presumably bug fixes and light balancing in between major updates.

I don't have a PS4, and can't say for certain, but I'd expect that you'll update to the latest version available.  I don't know if that is an automatic action or a manual one on Sony's network.  You'll probably know better than I.

Think of the major updates such as NEXT like all of the DAOC expansions over the years, except they're free rather than paid for. The major updates add new content.  It's not a perfect analogy because you're not gate-locked out of the new content if you don't have the update as was the case in DAOC.  The whole (shared) universe is updated with each update.

Edited by Elovia

Great. Thanks for clarifying. I'm not sure about the PS4 either. The console has not been a great success in our house, as there are too many competing priorities for entertainment. My gaming PC is my goto, the tablet is my Sons, and on the rare occasion when my wife does sit down, it's usually on the same TV as the PS4.

We turn it on once or twice per year, and it's usually Soccer with me and my boy, or Lego <something> with Fin and his mates.

I popped on briefly last night.  I didn't have much time to play - a half hour to 45 minutes.   I noted I've logged over a hundred hours on my main character, and probably a total of over 30 hours with various other starts that eventually were deleted.

Before playing, I surfed over to the NMS wiki (link: https://nomanssky.gamepedia.com/No_Man's_Sky_Wiki) where they keep a detailed list of updates and patch notes.  The last major update was not NEXT, and instead was one called Visions which added more variety to environments (i.e., new flora, fauna, atmospheric effects, etc.).

Even though I didn't have much time to play and explore, I was able to catch up on some much needed housekeeeping by sorting and organizing my various storage and inventory repositories.  I discovered one of my shuttles had 22 empty inventory slots whiched greatly helped to declutter my daily drivers.

If your TV is heavily utilized for non-gaming entertainment, you might consider picking up a discounted copy for your PC.  I doubt anyone but you would be interested in watching the more mundane details of space and planetary exploration.  :D

5 hours ago, Elovia said:

I doubt anyone but you would be interested in watching the more mundane details of space and planetary exploration.  :D

I feel like i should be offended at that, but for some strange reason, i consider it a compliment :)

I'm sure I meant the metaphorical "you" ... as in "you, the player."  ;)

But hey, a compliment is a compliment, so it's a check mark in the win column, innit?

Edited by Elovia

Reading this thread makes me excited to try it.  

Is there PvP or is it in certain areas?  If there is PvP how is it?  

The latest patch/version on GoG (within the past week) enabled multiplayer.  The first thing I did after patching up was to disable all the multiplayer options in order to preserve my single-player experience.

A lot of requests for MP were made from the beginning, and when it finally arrived along with the inevidable accompanying griefers, most people either turned off the ability or heavily modified permissions to restrict who has access to their bases and stuff.

Rumors abound of griefing players destroying bases, or shooting other players on the ground from their spaceships.

Be careful what you ask for, because you might get it.

I don't personally care for PvP anymore, and it sucks that you have to work hard for resources to better your experience in this game only to have some socially inept mouth-breathing turd destroy it on a whim.  The game (NMS) is a great exploration/survival/sandbox from which PvP takes away rather than adds.  It is not like DAoC where PvP was/is expected and encouraged in certain areas.  Imagine if PvP-ers were allowed to freely roam DAoC housing areas and how disastrous that might be.

Co-op exploration, on the other hand, might be right for some, but not me.  I'm too much of a anthrophobic misanthropic curmudgeon these days to tolerate others in my sandbox.  If I were benevolent dictator of the world, I'd remove all traces of other's explorations from my universe.  Alas, the NMS universe is shared, and we're not meant as individuals to selfishly explore and discover it all - let alone the physical impossibility of doing so.

YMMV

[edit:  word change, anthrophobic vs. misanthropic ... I'm not afraid, I just don't like]

Edited by Elovia
Lasraik likes this

2 hours ago, Elovia said:

I don't personally care for PvP anymore, and it sucks that you have to work hard for resources to better your experience in this game only to have some socially inept mouth-breathing turd destroy it on a whim. 

Well said