Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Lasraik

No Man's Sky Next

52 posts in this topic

Does the mulitplayer allow Steam and GOG players to play with each other?

6 hours ago, Jazz said:

I haven't read anything definitive, probably because MP is still relatively new.  For that matter, the universe is shared, but are there multiple universes each exclusive to their respective platforms?  I kind of think not, and that's just my opinion.  The shared universe existed prior to MP.  The question is, "where is the repository of collected information, and who controls the data servers?"

tl;dr  ... Dunno.

10 minutes ago, Elovia said:

I haven't read anything definitive, probably because MP is still relatively new.  For that matter, the universe is shared, but are there multiple universes each exclusive to their respective platforms?  I kind of think not, and that's just my opinion.  The shared universe existed prior to MP.  The question is, "where is the repository of collected information, and who controls the data servers?"

tl;dr  ... Dunno.

I only asked because I originally had it on GOG but refunded it and got it on Steam when they couldn't confirm whether it would be cross-client or whatever the fuck you call GOG and Steam, and didn't want to take the risk since I had already suffered that issue with Grim Dawn (GOG and Steam versions cannot do multiplayer together and wound up having to buy the game again to play with people).

Elovia likes this

See there's your first problem - wanting to play with others.  :P

If history is any indication, GoG and Steam may not offer cross-platform play (nor with XBox or PlayStation).

It's worth checking into if you want to bear the presence of others in your fortress of solitude.

Edited by Elovia
Jazz likes this

15 hours ago, Jazz said:

Not according to this post at the GoG forums.

Edited by Elovia

So I've recently passed 200+ hours in the game with my current character.  And here's a brief snapshot of my progression ...

I finished all major story lines, and as far as I can tell, all minor ones too.  Most if not all of the quests/missions I have left are random ones distributed by the known actors.  I have almost capped out all primary milestones, except guild or race specific ones.

My exosuit is pretty well capped out ... meaning, I have upgraded all of the tech while carefully balancing tech upgrades vs. available inventory slots.  Speaking of which, I've also enabled the full 48 slots in the cargo area of the exosuit, so I haul around more goods with me than any of my Hauler spaceships have space for in their cargo areas.

My spaceship fleet is full at six ships: one exotic, one large fighter, one large explorer, and three large haulers.  All ships have max inventory and tech slots available per type, and all are class A or S (the exotic is S by nature, and one of my haulers is also class S).  The hauler space is way underutilized at this point.  I'm still looking for a nice class S large fighter to upgrade my main ride.  Speaking of which, my large class A fighter is stuffed with class S tech mods, and I've capped damage potential with photon cannons and plenty of shields too.  Pirate fleets don't stand much of a chance against me (not bragging, just a fact).

Not long ago, I finally traded in and upgraded my Freighter from a class C 17-slot run-of-the-mill industrial dumpster to a class S 34-slot imperial cruiser (it's not really called that, but if you squint real hard, it kind of looks like one).  I upgraded the cruiser with all available hyperdrive upgrades, and it can warp just shy of 2150 light years in a single jump.  That sounds impressive until you realize that a galaxy is easily 1.4 million light years across.  I also have a small fleet of frigates that accompany my freighter, or whom I send on various missions as I have fuel available (said missions can take anywhere from a few to a lot of hours in real time - they're a god way to bring back rare materials and lots of monetary units.)

My fighter ship can only jump about 800 light years, and my explorer warps up to almost 1180 light years.  I haven't fully upgraded the explorer yet, so it has potential to go further in a single jump.  That said, either my fighter or explorer is capable of warping through black holes, which is really the quickest way to the center at a cost (one random ship component in the main cargo area always breaks when you travel through a black hole - and repairs cost materials).

I've seen more planets and star systems than I can remember (so ... three? *bah dum tish*  :D), and I'm currently in my second galaxy working my way to the center.  *minor spoiler*  When I reached the end of one of the major quest lines, I made a poor decision, and now I'm living with the consequences of it.  Let's just say it hasn't been all smooth sailing in the second galaxy.

Fun game, but I'm starting to feel like I'm logging in just to go through the motions.  I should probably take a break, and knowing me, that'll be the last of NMS for a long while since I'm likely to get majorly distracted with the rest of my library backlog.  Speaking of which, I just heard a new DLC for Grim Dawn is coming out in March, and I noticed Perisno 0.9+hotfixes has finally been released - so lots of potential for going back to previous time wasters.  I have a desktop icon for Aven Colony nagging me that I should come out and play something besides NMS.  Soon.  Soon.

Lasraik likes this

Would your enjoyment of the game be any different if you had played with a few close friends?  Or is the game/progression the same either way?

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, Jag said:

Would your enjoyment of the game be any different if you had played with a few close friends?  Or is the game/progression the same either way?

Me, the closet misanthrope?  No.  You, on the other hand, might find it fun with family and close friends since you tend to be more gregarious. 

I've read playing cooperatively with a few close friends or family is fun for those that like to do that sort of thing.

There is a lot of randomness to the game, so progression is heavily dependent on your relationship with RNGesus.  Many of my hours were spent watching starships come and go at a trading center or space station, waiting for a good one to trade into.  Seems like there's a RNG roll for if a ship comes in, then which archetype, then which parts are attached, then which size, then which class, and then a random roll for each slot to see if it is enabled, and then a random roll to see what (if anything) extra equipment or tech might be included in the slots, etc. - not necessarily in that order.  In truth, each star system has a fixed set of ships randomly generated within a few given parameters (e.g., Vy'keen systems have more fighters, Gek have more haulers, and Korvax have more explorers).

The game is, at its heart, all about exploration and discovery.  There is some action to fill the in-between times, as well as down-time activities such as crafting, farming, and base building.

Planetary exploration is fun early on, whether on the ground, under sea, or slowly flying around.  Spotting buildings and other points of interest from the air is not as easy as it may seem.  Later, you get a sense of deja vu since the art assets are finite, and each biome's contents can become predictable.

A close team would definitely benefit from shared resources at a common base (or two).  However, each person's sense of progression will be different based on what they like to do.  Upgrading your exosuit, exocraft, spaceships, and (to a limited extent) friighters and frigates, gives a sense of progression.  Following main quests, or marking off milestones, is also something to keep you busy and moving forward.

In the early stages, currency (two types) are precious and hard to come by.  In the late game, there aren't enough sinks so it accumulates and you'll have more than you know what to do with ... besides spend to upgrade as you try to find incrementally better stuff.

Edited by Elovia

No Man's Sky: Beyond ... upcoming new free update with VR support.

Quote source:  https://steamcommunity.com/gid/103582791438685735/announcements/detail/1814295005572765492

Hello Everyone,

We’re very excited to be able to tell you more about No Man’s Sky: Beyond. A major free update coming in summer 2019 and the next big chapter in our journey.

Beyond is the culmination of several different strands of development. The first component, No Man’s Sky Online[www.nomanssky.com], was announced a few weeks ago. A dramatically updated multiplayer experience means players will be able to explore and play together like never before.

Today we’re thrilled to announce the next major component of Beyond: No Man’s Sky Virtual Reality[www.nomanssky.com].

06697b13a4d71bbe9265c766fba55e4ba44a261d.png

As creators of No Man’s Sky, we are in love with everything sci-fi. Virtual reality feels like a science fiction become real, and has always seemed like a perfect fit for this futuristic game of ours.

It’s completely unique to land on a world that no-one has ever seen before and to really feel as if you’re there, and the team has worked so hard to make this a true VR experience rather than a port.

Grab the joystick and thruster to fly your starship over an unexplored alien planet as you peer out of the cockpit at the view below. Reach into your backpack to grab your multitool, touch it to switch to terrain manipulation, and carve out intricate shapes with unprecedented control. Play in multiplayer and casually wave to your non-VR friends or fist bump your VR peers.

No Man’s Sky Virtual Reality is not a separate mode, but the entire game brought to life in virtual reality. Anything possible in No Man’s Sky, NEXT or any other update is ready and waiting as an immersive and enriched VR experience.

No Man’s Sky Virtual Reality, like all the parts of Beyond, will be free to existing players. No Man’s Sky Virtual Reality will bring the experience to PlayStation VR and Steam VR, and will be released simultaneously on both platforms.

By bringing full VR support, for free, to the millions of players already playing the game, No Man’s Sky will become perhaps the most owned VR title when released. This amazes us, and is utterly humbling. The team is working so hard to live up to the expectations that creates. We are excited for that moment when millions of players will suddenly update and be able to set foot on their home planets and explore the intricate bases they have built in virtual reality for the first time.

As well as Online and Virtual Reality, No Man’s Sky Beyond contains a third major feature set that we’ll be talking more about when we can.

This is an exciting time. Thank you so much for being with us on this most ambitious chapter of No Man’s Sky.

Sean

Pasanda likes this

Sweet. Could be good. I quite like the idea of VR with this title; it naturally lends itself to the tech. Unfortunately, my copy of NMS is PS4 and my VR is PC. :(

Elovia likes this

Posted (edited)

Rumor has it that Steam is currently running a half-off sale on NMS ($29.99 US).  That's a pretty good price point for the resulting entertainment value.

I have logged over 250 hours with my main "normal" character, and numerous other uncounted "permadeath" characters.

My most recent Permadeath character is the longest lived (by far - probably over 50 hours) and I seem to have gotten past the initial difficulty period where you are fragile and easily killed (either by my own stupidity or by getting two-shot by a pack of predatory creatures as I exited my spaceship).  I'm going to dread when this latest character dies.  I've been keeping manual backups of the game save files just in case my death is due to an errant glitch or bug (they still do exist, unfortunately).

Edited by Elovia
Pasanda likes this

And here I was wondering whether, between this and Subnautica, I should dip my toes into the VR waters. I've successfully resisted the VR siren's call thus far, because I think the technology is too rapidly changing yet still far too crude (although even I will admit it is far better than it was a decade ago).  That and apparently I'm much too easy to immerse without it - graphic quality be damned.

I play NMS and played Skyrim mostly in 3rd person, because I don't like phantom hands floating in my field of vision (side note: I play the starship flight sessions in 1st person, not 3rd, because of my background with flight simulators).  Most VR titles that I've previewed include those same floaty hands - or worse, blocky affairs barely recognizable as hands/controllers.

Pasanda likes this

Posted (edited)

9 hours ago, Elovia said:

And here I was wondering whether, between this and Subnautica, I should dip my toes into the VR waters. I've successfully resisted the VR siren's call thus far, because I think the technology is too rapidly changing yet still far too crude (although even I will admit it is far better than it was a decade ago).  That and apparently I'm much too easy to immerse without it - graphic quality be damned.

I play NMS and played Skyrim mostly in 3rd person, because I don't like phantom hands floating in my field of vision (side note: I play the starship flight sessions in 1st person, not 3rd, because of my background with flight simulators).  Most VR titles that I've previewed include those same floaty hands - or worse, blocky affairs barely recognizable as hands/controllers.

The two best titles i've played in VR, almost make the price of the set worth while on their own. Those being Subnautica and Lone Echo (short but amazing). I played an early release of Subnautica, which got stuck in geometry about 15 hours in, then my Rift cable got chewed. Not played since. Completed Lone Echo, mostly because i just couldn't put it down. So atmospheric, which, considering most of the game is played in a vacuum, is some feat!

I have a few humble bundle sets of VR games that i've not played, but i'm fairly sure they're mostly kids games.

P.S. They're both floaty-hands games...Get over it :)

P.P.S. I've heard ST Bridge Crew is decent.

P.P.P.S. Elite Dangerous has control issues for me, but looks potentially very good.

Edited by Pasanda
Lasraik and Elovia like this

Just a recent vanity purchase.  I don't have it kitted out, and use it primarily for jumping through black holes ... because it isn't kitted out.  Things get damaged when you jump through a black hole.

Primary colors are white, gold, and black.  The lighting in the space station isn't all that great.

NMSexotic.thumb.jpg.de4dd2698246b8ddd77cf3212bc2dfbf.jpg

Lasraik, Pasanda and Jag like this

The side thrusters point down for vertical take offs and landings (VTOL), but then swivel in flight to point backward and provide forward thrust.

The "fishing rod" lance on the lower nose rotates about its centerline axis.

And the rear clam-shells open in flight exposing yet another engine for forward thrust.

Complicated to describe, but pretty cool to watch.

Posted (edited)

Neither.  It comes pre-assembled.  There isn't currently a mechanism in game to customize a starship's appearance (hopfully there will be someday), so what you find is what is available to you.  This one was one of the most complete of its variety that I've found thus far.  I have another similar one that is canary yellow and doesn't include the side thrusters.  I also traded a very similar model as the one shown above for the pictured one, and the one I traded away had all of the above-shown features except the lower rear clam shell... same colors, too.

If I think about it later, I'll post an image of my current personal fleet as well as my massive freighter (and cloud of support frigates).

Edited by Elovia

Posted (edited)

Here's an overhead shot of one of my bases with almost all of my toys parked outside (my sub is in a nearby ocean).  The image was resized down and converted to jpg to keep file size low enough to post here.

NMSbase.thumb.jpg.692d733ed79565e7b56b3fd899915bb0.jpg

In clockwise direction starting at the lower left are my ... large explorer, exotic (shown in a previous image), heavy fighter, second exotic, large hauler 1 and large hauler 2; also the roamer, nomad and colossus exocrafts.  My base has extra landing pads so I can attract NPC pilots from whom I can trade; there are also four biodomes for growing crops not indigenous to this planet's biome, as well as a small garden plot of star bulb plants.  All of the crops I grow are used to make up to 8 circuit boards at a time roughly 16 hours from harvest to harvest, and each circuit board can be sold for ~1.2M units.

My base is also situated between two trading posts, which attracts a lot of NPC pilots.  btw ... that's me standing in the top middle of the base's central tower (for a sense of size and proportion).

... and an up close image of my favorite heavy fighter.  You can't tell but it's fully kitted with the best stuff.  This little guy brutally destroys flocks of pirates (not bragging, just a fact).

NMSfghtr.thumb.jpg.558e66177dcc375765d7b03688b0b861.jpg

... and finally, a gratuitous image of my Capital Ship (i.e., freighter) along with my fleet of frigates.  The system is a bit hazy and the sun wasn't cooperating very well.  Each frigate hosts several landing pads and can be explored on foot.  The sense of scale is hard to describe, but the freighter is simply massive.  If you look closely, you can see the green engine contrails from visiting NPC spaceships, so you can see how diminutive their ships are compared to the freigher's bulk.

NMSfrghtr.thumb.jpg.c0c361b13e2f084559f487f0023c8fbc.jpg

Edited by Elovia
Pasanda and Jag like this