Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Lasraik

No Man's Sky Next

66 posts in this topic

In multiplayer, is each person building all that stuff or is it shared?

Posted (edited)

2 hours ago, Jag said:

In multiplayer, is each person building all that stuff or is it shared?

I'm not a multiplayer and really cannot answer that.  I just don't know and have no need beyond your inquiry to find out.

The upcoming Beyond expansion is supposed to improve MP aspects (I hear MP is still a bit buggy), and that expansion is due sometime this summer along with the VR upgrade.  And that is pretty much all I know about the Beyond update.

NMS is currently on sale at GoG (summer sale) for 30 bucks or so, and Beyond is expected to be a free update.

Edited by Elovia

Beyond is out, but I haven't yet dipped my toes back in those waters since it released.  David Allen has a pretty good write-up and review which is well worth the time to read if you've ever thought about trying No Man's Sky.  I'd say the review is fair for those parts of NMS with which I am familiar, so it seems reasonable to expect fairness for the new Beyond-specific bits.  It sounds like mutliplay has been vastly improved, if you're into that sort of thing (not that there's anything wrong with it).

And if you picked up the game on sale, as Lasraik suggested, Beyond is a free update (matter of fact, it's still a free update even if you didn't pick up NMS on sale).  I'll probably migrate back to it when I've had my fill from my currently renewed fascination with Grim Dawn ... provided Bannerlord hasn't released by then.  Actually, NMS-Beyond may be good intermediate filler while they work out the bugs in Bannerlord.  :P

Edited by Elovia

New release is out ... the "Synthesis" update.  Patch notes below (note lots of British spellings as appropriate).

This may give me something to do over this long, 4-day weekend (Thanksgiving weekend here in the US).

Spoiler

Synthesis Update - 2.21 (28 November 2019)

Hello!

Today we are pleased to release our eighth free update to No Man's Sky.

The Synthesis Update introduces a number of frequently-requested features and improvements to No Man’s Sky Beyond. Alongside these new features are a large number of community-led quality of life improvements, as well as general polish.

Full Patch Notes can be found here: https://www.nomanssky.com/release-log/ but here are some highlights.

Starship Upgrades

Visit the Starship Outfitting Terminal at a Space Station to add inventory slots to your favourite starship, or spend nanites to upgrade its class.

Starship Salvaging

The Starship Outfitting Terminal can also be used to salvage unwanted ships for scrap, granting valuable products and technologies.

New Terrain Editing System

The Terrain Manipulator has been improved and optimised, with new visual effects and new Restore and Flatten Modes.

Protected Terrain Edits

Terrain edits made within a base are now protected from regeneration. The protected edit system has been improved to allow more edits to be made before reaching the cap.

Save Custom Outfits

Added the ability to save a range of custom outfits in the Customiser, allowing for quick changes between a range of appearances.

First Person Exocraft

Players of all versions of the game now have access to First-Person Exocraft. Access camera settings in the Quick Menu.

New Features Enabled in VR

Features have been unified across VR and non-VR. Photo Mode and Creature Riding are now available in all versions of the game.

Space Map

The starship Space Map has been overhauled, improving the quality and clarity of the visuals.

Inventory Management

Inventory management has been refined and a number of UI quality of life improvements have been added. Items can be dragged and dropped to swap positions, or directly dropped onto damaged technologies for automatic repair. Control over stack sizes has been improved in the shop, transfer and charging interfaces. Hazard protection upgrades that are not relevant to the current environment are now hidden from the Quick Menu.

Quality of Life Improvements

Many frequently used interactions and interfaces have been sped up, and access to many features has been streamlined. Improvements include: instant access to the Galactic Trade Terminal; purchasing Planetary Charts from the shop interface rather than a dialog interaction; increasing the speed of the Pulse Drive; and the riding of creatures that have been fed only basic bait.

New Technologies

Many new technology upgrades have been added, granting abilities such as: long distance inventory transfers to and from freighters; mid-air jetpack recharging; and instantaneous emergency warping.

New Base Parts

A new range of triangular base building parts have been added, opening up a large range of new structures for builders.

Discovery Page Additions

The Discovery Page has been polished and improved, addressing a number of key bugs and usability issues. These include bulk uploading of discoveries; faster access to planetary data; and a better sense of position both on a planet and within the system.

Bug Fixing and Polish

A significant number of frequently reported issues have been addressed, as we continually monitor the community’s most requested fixes. The full patch notes for the Synthesis Update run to 297 items.

Base Building Improvements

Base building benefits from a large number of improvements, including visual and functional improvements to the snapping system. Existing parts have been optimised and building costs have been reduced.

More Storage

The capacity of the Storage Containers has been significantly increased. The containers can now be given custom names.

Personal Refiner

Added a new technology, the Personal Refiner. This equipment allows users to refine elements directly within the Exosuit, without having to place a portable refiner on a planetary surface.

Own Multiple Multi-Tools

Added the ability for players to own more than one Multi-Tool. Purchased Multi-Tools will be added to the Quick Menu for easy swapping.

And there are literally hundreds (297 in all!) of other bug fixes / small features / bits of polish that lift and bind the game together.

Thank you so much for joining us on this voyage. It means a lot to the team.

The journey continues. Sean

Edited by Elovia

Decided to get Synthesis on PC. The game looks like it'd be up my street, but i can't face playing any game like this with a controller. So i'm giving up on the PS4 version. 

I look forward to comparing notes. I just need to finish Outer Worlds.

Elovia likes this

11 hours ago, Pasanda said:

Decided to get Synthesis on PC. The game looks like it'd be up my street, but i can't face playing any game like this with a controller. So i'm giving up on the PS4 version. 

I look forward to comparing notes. I just need to finish Outer Worlds.

You're probably going to VR it as well?  I don't do that, so don't have any experience to share in that vein.

I stopped playing just before Beyond came out, and only re-started again this past weekend.  I wanted to see the changes ... and there were quite a few to which I needed to get accustomed.  I still have my old save game, but some of the changes in Beyond made picking up where I left off slightly difficult (i.e., power generation/distribution requirements for base parts - and I have extensive base constructions).  So I started a new character just to get back in the groove.  I've since deleted it, then regretted the deletion, and started yet another character a day or two later.  I'm not sure if this one, too, will burn down, fall over, and sink into the swamp.  The game tells me I have over 150 hours on the old character save.  The thought of grinding through all on a new character to get back to that level of play seems daunting - if not a bit off-putting.

That said, I'm always happy to discuss anytime (and advise whether asked or implied - usually the latter by default :D).  I'd say my knowledge of the game is sufficiently deep for most any question you can drum up - with perhaps exception to some of the newly added mechanics or multiplayer.

One of the advertised changes in Synthesis was that the player is now able to scrap ships into parts.  This solves an old problem of what to do when your personal fleet hit the inventory cap of six ships; you couldn't sell them to make room for others, and instead had to trade them away for new ships.  The deployment is not exactly how I envisioned it, nor is it what I was most excited to see added.  I was hoping they'd solved how to break apart procedural-generated ships, and apply body parts from one ship onto another of similar class so as to customize the look of your favorite ship (e.g., grab the wings from one ship, and the engine from another, and glue them both onto yet another).  Not so.  Yes, you can scrap ships in your inventory at a new "shop" in the space stations, but when you do, you get trade good scrap and spare modules placed into your exosuit inventory; you can then exchange the trade good scrap and modules at a merchant for currency (whether units or nanites).

One nice new QOL feature is that the player can now rearrange modules in ship or multi-tool slots (whereas before this required use of a 3rd party tool).  This allows the player to rearrange modules placed in those items to better take advantage of synergy between similar modules.

Look at me, blathering on like a school girl.  I look forward to comparing notes, too.

So, with the Rift, it's only really effective when you don't need to hit too many different keys. With Elite Dangerous, the controls are so complex, that even with a controller, you still needed to occasionally hit keys, and the only way to do that was to lift up and look under the rift at your keyboard sometimes several times every minute - depending on the manoeuvre. So annoying after a while, i gave up. 

I hope control of NMS will be simpler, as Elite is basically a space flight sim.

NMS requires keys around and including WASD, and a mouse with a scroll wheel.  It is easily accommodated by one hand on keyboard (touch type if you're that good) and one on the mouse.  You may also use a controller if that is your thing, although I think I prefer KB/M.  Good news is the game allows key remapping, although I've not felt a need to do so.  Since you're left-handed, you might want to see what it offers along those lines for you.

There are a couple different user-selected modes for space flight ... tethered or not ... and different people have their own preference; all I can suggest is try it both ways and use the one you like more.  Tethered flight tends to feel sluggish (the nose of the spacecraft slowly follows the mouse pip), whereas non-tethered is more comfortable for those who desire precise pip placement (the nose of the spacecraft stays on the pip).  Space flight in NMS, and space combat for that matter, is nowhere near simulator levels ... it's more forward/back plus the ship steers where you look while allowing roll.  Newtonian flight is not present in NMS.  AI ship enemies are simple minded and fly toward you ... so you fly backward and they line up into your gun sights.  You can fly in first- or third- person (another user preference).  I switch between modes depending on where I'm flying.  For example, if I'm flying low through a planet's atmosphere and I need a wide view of the ground below, then I'll fly third-person perspective.  In space, and in dogfights, I will fly in first-person cockpit view, because that just feels more natural for me since I like flight sims, too.  You can set up a hotkey (1, 2, 3, ..., 0) to quick toggle between perspective views.  Same goes for when you're walking/running around in your exosuit or even when youj're driving your exocraft now with the Synthesis update (exocraft used to be locked into third-person perspective only).

Edited by Elovia

That's really helpful. Thanks. Also very encouraging to read that flight won't need a dozen fingers. Newtonian is lovely-n-all, but not having it is never going to put me off a game.

I have the game now, but need to get Outer Worlds done first. I have 2 weeks off over Christmas. If RDR2 isn't installed by then, NMS will be my sweetheart.

It sounds like you try to finish one game before sinking time into another.  Very laudable.

I just want to point out that NMS is more of a sandbox than an RPG, even though it has main- and side-quests.  The main story is only the beginning, and the game is really all about exploration, collapse, and rebirth.

There are 256 galaxies to explore, and each one is ~1400 light years diameter and consists of billions of stars, each with multiple planets and moons.  You and I will never see the entirety of it in our lifetimes.  In the words of Carl Sagan, as appropriate to NMS, "Space is big, really big."

Edited by Elovia

On 06/12/2019 at 4:15 PM, Elovia said:

It sounds like you try to finish one game before sinking time into another.  Very laudable.

I just want to point out that NMS is more of a sandbox than an RPG, even though it has main- and side-quests.  The main story is only the beginning, and the game is really all about exploration, collapse, and rebirth.

There are 256 galaxies to explore, and each one is ~1400 light years diameter and consists of billions of stars, each with multiple planets and moons.  You and I will never see the entirety of it in our lifetimes.  In the words of Carl Sagan, as appropriate to NMS, "Space is big, really big."

I put around 10 hours into NMS on the PS4 around 18 months ago. It's how i know i cannot play it with a controller.

It might have been Carl Sagan as well. But i've only ever heard that quote from Douglas Adams in HGTTG part 1.

It's OK. My rep is still intact...

Had a PS4 for around 3 years now. Got it on a deal that could not be missed. It gets turned on for about 10 hours per year on average.

Bought an Xbox One S about 6 months ago. Just for it's Plex player, which is one of the best, and has native 7.1 audio and 4k. All for less than a dedicated 4k player. And it's an Xbox :) 

I still only play games on my PC though :) 

3 hours ago, Pasanda said:

It might have been Carl Sagan as well. But i've only ever heard that quote from Douglas Adams in HGTTG part 1.

You're right, of course.  It was a Douglas Adams HGTTG quote.  My bad.  Too many lost years and vague memories of Cosmos.  'Twas also in those years those two media were simultaneously consumed.

Edited by Elovia
Pasanda likes this

I wouldn't have been surprised if it was both. They live in that amber-hazed section of my brain reserved for the late 70's early 80's.

Elovia likes this