Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Lasraik

No Man's Sky Next

155 posts in this topic

A couple of the older laptops are having some Vulcan Driver issues I have been unable to resolve.  Very annoying.

19 minutes ago, Jag said:

What are your favorite types of planets?

Planets are generally categorized as the following:

1. Lush
  2. Barren (desert)
  3. Airless
  4. Scorched
  5. Frozen
  6. Toxic
  7. Irradiated
  8. Exotic

I prefer either of the first two since they tend to be most Earth-like, but the rest have their uses for specific mineral extraction outposts.  There are many, many types of Exotic planets ... from some of which you can even harvest decorations for your base.  Once you have installed hazard-specific S-class protection modules in your exosuit, none of the non-Earth-like ones pose much danger unless you let your modules run out of fuel ... so you can be outside on those other planets for much longer.  Desert planets tend to have large diurnal temperature swings, and you'll need frost protection if you venture out at night, but they're relatively comfortable during the daytime.

The search for a lush planet with no storms, no predators, blue sky, blue water, green grass, and low sentinel activity is literally a needle in a haystack find.

13 minutes ago, Jag said:

A couple of the older laptops are having some Vulcan Driver issues I have been unable to resolve.  Very annoying.

Sorry to hear/read that.  I use my old GTX980ti on my even more ancient Intel system without much issue.  The game was originally written when nVidia was king ... now AMD is ... and they rewrote the software engine to support Vulcan.  I'm sure you're not alone, and the solution is out there and available.

Edited by Elovia

Below is a quick screenshot of a small outpost base on an Earth-like world.  This planet has most of all the good things, except the water is an orange color from a distance.  Underwater it is normal.  At night it looks normal-ish, too.  I built my base over a cave entrance which leads to an underwater area useful for harvesting ocean resources.

Also shown in the image is my all time favorite space ship.  Since the latest update, I've been working on getting it fully upgraded.  It started as an S-class heavy fighter with pretty good stats.  Now I'm filling in the inventory slot holes, and eventually will max its slots at 48/21.

elobase.thumb.jpg.4714dc49c2f8443eef35fc5eb5fd9655.jpg

Looks amazing.

Unfortunately the graphics cards on both laptops are not supported.  However, I can replace them with 5-8 year old cards that will work...maybe worth the fix.

Here's another little trick/tip I just remembered for early game.  You have a portable refiner that you were to build in order to fix your first ship and fly off the starter planet.  Note that to fully refuel the portable refiner, you place either 100 carbon or 34 condensed carbon in its fuel hopper.  Normally, 100 carbon <<->> 50 condensed carbon.  However, if you fill the portable refiner fuel hopper with 34 condensed carbon, and then pick up the refiner without using it, you get back the refiner and 100 carbon.

Thought I'd mention this in case you find you're in a squeeze for carbon and there isn't any flora available in the area.

[edit to add]  I also spent this morning figuring out how to power the doors to the base and connect in proximity sensors so that the doors open automatically when I approach them.  By default, the doors are open without power.  When powered, they close.  So I had to insert an inverter switch to reverse the power signal.  Let me know when you're at that point and I can explain better.  :)

Edited by Elovia

Having lots of fun so far.  Learning lots.  My kid says he opened an atlas pod and sold fusion generators for 150 mil.  I think he looked up a code or something haha.

My latest character is ruined I think.  We were in multi-player and the game crashed, when I reloaded in I ended up on the other side of the universe with no way home.  So the main quest is screwed up since I can't get back to the quest area with no hyperdrive.  Although maybe I can go back to the quest later, but you said that was realyl bad.

It's ok.  Every restart is a chance to learn something new.  But I had learned like 20 kovax words and found an exosuit upgrade!

Elovia likes this

I might be able to fly to the closest planet, make a base computer, claim it, then go back to the station and have it send me home.

Let me guess ... you guys started multiplayer before you finished the Awakenings mission, right?  Since I don't do MP, I'm going off memory of what other people have written.  Apparently, player status is stored on the MP host machine, and SP status is stored locally on your machine.  When you go SP after a MP session, you pick up where you last left off in SP, not MP ... you no longer have access to your MP progress until you reconnect to the host's game (and even then it might be quirky - again according to some reports).

The main issue with the Awakenings mission is that there is a series of steps designed to introduce you to the game, and you gather the components necessary for warp flight.  One of the steps provides you with a warp cell, and you have to warp to a nearby star to find the recipe, but you have to warp back to your home star to complete it.  So it is possible that you could take the warp fuel and use it to warp to an arbitrary star, only to find yourself locked out of ever learning the warp fuel recipe ... and thus you will not be able to travel out of that star system.  Now there is an extremely rare situation where you may find a warp fuel cell, but getting locked out of warp capability occurs within the first several hours, and it would be quicker and easier to just start over than to hope to get lucky enough to find a warp fuel cell (did I already mention they're extremely rare?).  Getting self-sufficient warp capability is pretty much the end of the Awakenings mission.

Also do note that NPC ships will not have warp engines until you've crafted the warp engine for your ship.  So you can't get one by simply trading ships.  You need the recipe to create the warp engine, and another recipe to create warp fuel (or the ingredients of which - I forget), before you're truly free to explore the stars.  After that, you'll want to explore generally toward the center of the galaxy.  No spoilers but, reaching the center of the galaxy should be a long-term goal ... or will be at some point ... so you might as well explore in that direction along the way.  :)

Edited by Elovia
Jag likes this

23 hours ago, Jag said:

It's ok.  Every restart is a chance to learn something new.  But I had learned like 20 kovax words and found an exosuit upgrade!

There are thousands of words in four languages to learn (i.e., the three primary race languages plus the Atlas language).  It can be a full time job learning vocabulary just talking to inhabitants of space stations, trading posts, and other locations where you encounter the local residents.  From the wiki, "There are 2368 words to learn in the game."

It is good to learn enough of each language to be able to decipher messages at manufacturing facilities, so you can select the correct answer in response to a language-coded question or statement.  The reward for entering the correct response may be valuable or educational (which has value, too).  One of the more recent additions to the game are translator modules for your exosuit; these will translate a certain number of words for you, which greatly helps understanding what is being stated/asked.  The old school way of learning vocabulary was exploring planet surfaces looking for randomly scattered knowledge pods (or whatever they're called).

Edited by Elovia
Jag likes this

I think I can fix the other game, but I have moved on.  We figured out a good solution to prevent future issues.  1 person starts a new game, then second joins it, then both people get in and out of their ship, log out, then start your game in single player.  Now we are both in single having our individual locations saved, and we still get to play together exploring and building.

It took very little time to catch up because this time I hard focused on the quest (like you suggested) and now that I have a hyperdrive, things can't go too wrong.

We are really enjoying this game.  It is incredibly fun to have so many places to explore and things to do.  We have been going with a star wars theme for names and that has also been fun.

Elovia likes this

Just curious if you've encountered all three primary races, and if so, which is your favorite.

Personally, I like the Vy'keen for their honorable warrior outlook (and eye-roll animation).  The Gek are suspiciously too cute, and my cynical nature asks, "what're they up to?"  The Korvax are just bland, IMHO.  Non-primary Travelers/Anomalies are just weird in an alien way ... not that there's anything wrong with it.  I prefer to play as a faceless, gender-less anomaly in a generic white space suit akin to the classic NASA outfits.

I feel the same about the races.  It's funny that the Gek seems the most polite, but has the darkest history.  I found some ancient sites that talk about the Gek ruling the universe.  The Vy'keen are my favorites, but I have not seen much of them in my curent game.

I also have a visor, but I prefer dark blue, grey and black.

Elovia likes this

OK. Got fed up with losing too much progress when I die on Fallen Order, so kicked off a NMS Synthesis character. Been playing around 15-20 hours and am enjoying it.

I have a base-ish. nothing i'm too attached to that i won't move when i can easily afford it (i found a nice planet with no atmospheric nasties, no Sentinels and seemingly few aggressive fauna. My base has the portal-thing and i have access to around 7 other spheres through it. I have a living module with 2 large cylindrical buildings and a connecting corridor. I have a construction station, a science station and an agriculture station along with appropriate staff. I have a 2 solar panels and 2 batteries, which is sufficient to keep everything powered 24/7.

I'm still on my basic ship, with a few minor upgrades. I've bought a new hand-tool thing, but could do with something better now. I've nearly got stuck a few times, not having the thing i need to get where i need to be but, so far, have always managed to find a workaround. Some of the guidance is poor to non-existent. Electric works weird, in that if you wire shit up and then delete the wiring, it still works.

One thing that i only discovered last night, is that your terrain fabricator has several different modes for destruction, creation, flattening etc. Cool-tool!

I suspect that once i stop being directed by quests, it might get stale quickly. I guess i lack self-motivation.

I missed a quest, where you protect some ships from pirates and get given a frigate as a reward. I wasn't aware, wasn't in the mood to fight, and just ran away. Only found out when i read up on it. Currently trying to get a ship upgrade to reduce the amount of launch fuel required. That stuff is killing me.

Also, my camp is surrounded by a herd of these lovely deer-like animals. My last quest required some animal shit to grow some stink-flower, which I had to get by killing them all. I do hope they come back.

Elovia likes this

Don't worry about the quest, there will be more.

We should set up a time for the 3 of us to join up in multiplayer and drop a save point or teleport base on our perspective plants so we can drop in from time to time.

I am about 30 hours in.  ATM I am focusing on the base building aspect of the quest lines.  I just got some hydroponics up and running.  The base is starting to take shape, but I might scrap it to find a spot near some water.  I am set up next to a trade center, and now that I can make my own galactic terminal, it's a bit noisy.

Elovia likes this

Posted (edited)

2 hours ago, Jag said:

I am about 30 hours in.  ATM I am focusing on the base building aspect of the quest lines.  I just got some hydroponics up and running.  The base is starting to take shape, but I might scrap it to find a spot near some water.  I am set up next to a trade center, and now that I can make my own galactic terminal, it's a bit noisy.

The last scripted computer base mission will reward you with a recipe for a base landing pad; this will reduce fuel consumption some when landing/launching from your base.  After you get the base landing pad recipe, computer base missions become random rewards.  Be prepared that after you build a landing pad, NPC ships will circle your base (so you'll continue to have the noise problem).  They used to land so you could trade with them, but the last time I played they may have either been bugged or intentionally had that behavior removed (because players complained that NPCs were hogging all the base time and the player had a hard time landing at their own base).  Note, similar behavior is exhibited if you hang out at a minor trading village for some length of time.

IIRC, you can also reduce ship fuel consumption incrementally during takeoffs by adding drive tech modules.  I'm not in a position to double check that info.  And again, find and establish an uranium mine so you have unlimited fuel that you don't have to fabricate.  A stack of 250 in your exosuit, or 500 in your ship, will last a long time.  In Normal play, I think the new cargo stack limit is 9999 which should last you a very long time.  The only tedium is remembering to top off your fuel tank and not run out.

Oh, and re: base building ... Screenshots or it didn't happen ... :)

Edited by Elovia
Jag likes this

Posted (edited)

I made a large mistake and had purchased most of the tech from the nexus already with salvage data.  Somehow my personal refiner became clogged with obscene amounts of it.  I thought maybe it was from a  salvage data quest. How was I supposed to know there is a quest for it?

I spent about 5 or 6 hours hunting for a nice fighter, got myself a very nice 34 - 12 slot fighter, so I spent a lot of time tricking it out with the extra nantites I got refining all the slavage data that clogged up my refiner for 30 minutes.

Edited by Jag

11 minutes ago, Jag said:

I made a large mistake and had purchased most of the tech from the nexus already with salvage data.  Somehow my personal refiner became clogged with obscene amounts of it.  I thought maybe it was from a  salvage data quest. How was I supposed to know there is a quest for it?

Yeah, that's a bug currently in the game.  Unfortunate, but it does cut down on some of the tedium even if it spoils the rewards.

11 minutes ago, Jag said:

I spent about 5 or 6 hours hunting for a nice fighter, got myself a very nice 34 - 12 slot fighter, so I spent a lot of time tricking it out with the extra nantites I got refining all the salvage data that clogged up my refiner for 30 minutes.

Awesome.

Base is just a huge cluster ATM as I mess with things.  Building a power station and running the cables underground was my great accomplishment last night.  I have abandoned all future plans for the moment until I finish the base quests and unlock the metal and concrete.

20200106182816_1.thumb.jpg.51d8a802c4ce40cbe0df10c31aee0279.jpg

Elovia likes this

Posted (edited)

Base Storage:

Cool thing about numbered base storage containers is that the inventory is shared from one instance to another ... meaning, if you have built a #1 storage container at your Base, and built a #1 storage container on your Freighter, and possibly even built a #1 storage container at an alternate Base, then the contents of each #1 storage container will be the same at each location.

Also, if you build a numbered storage container, fill it with items, then deconstruct the storage container, the items will still be in that numbered storage container the next time you build it.

So a trick to conserving base space and materials, is to build each numbered storage container as needed, deposit whatever items you want to store in it, then deconstruct the storage container to get a refund on the materials. At my bases, I usually reserve a spot for temporarily constructed storage containers so I don't have an unsightly row of them.

Power:

Consider that day and night are approximately the same length.  When using solar panels for your power generation, and especially if you want power at night when they don't generate power, construct batteries at 1:2 ratio to your solar panels (i.e., 1 battery per 2 solar panels), and you will never run out of power again at night as long as you have twice as many solar panels as needed to power all of your base's devices.  In other words, half of your solar panels generate power to your devices, and the other half generates power for storage.  At night, the batteries then provide enough power to use your devices until your solar panels can begin again generating power at the start of the next day.

You may also conserve power by adding on/off switches to devices, and power them on only when needed.  I occasionally do this with short-ranged teleporters.  The receiving end of a linked pair will still receive even when not powered, and the sending unit can have an activation switch installed that when pressed, and if you're standing on the device, will instantly teleport you to the receiving unit and then return to the non-powered state.

Edited by Elovia
Pasanda and Jag like this

Cheers for the tips. 

I  wonder if different planets have different levels of solar energy generation (it would make sense...). I did a teeny bit of experimentation - it was very early in the game and i didn't want to spend resources unnecessarily. IIRC a day-long charge didn't fill 2 batteries, and 2 solar panels was overkill for 1 battery, so i went 2+2, which seems just about right. I have a few thousand units left in each by the end of the night. I have noticed the upgrade generator, which seems to use ground-based magnetism. Do you know how prevalent that is, or how to test for it? 

Great idea for the step switch though. In front of the teleporter would be a great spot. And in front of the storage pods.

I haven't got near enough resources nor progress to start thinking of branching out to other bases, but the idea of setting up near vendors is appealing.

Last night i found a large artifact crate with a fragment in it, and some keys to open it. It was a real chore getting it all dug up, so i'm hoping it's all worthwhile.

Another tip is to not deplete the resources within flora or other structures, such as the ferrite nodes. They recharge quite frequently if you partially deplete them, but are dead (seemingly forever) if you deplete them outright.

I think after a few days it all grows back.

The ancient artifacts are kind of a random lottery.  Some sell for a couple hundred thousand and some for MILLIONS.  It's some nice seed money.

I am running through exo-craft quests now and continually remodeling.

Posted (edited)

6 hours ago, Pasanda said:

I have noticed the upgrade generator, which seems to use ground-based magnetism. Do you know how prevalent that is, or how to test for it? 

Last night i found a large artifact crate with a fragment in it, and some keys to open it. It was a real chore getting it all dug up, so i'm hoping it's all worthwhile.

Hotspot locations tend to be hit or miss, but they're supposed to occur on every planet with some regularity.  If you don't detect one in your immediate area, just move a significant distance and try again.

To find hotspots, you need to install the Survey module to enhance your scanner in your multi-tool, which will allow you to detect hotspots for energy, minerals, and gasses.  After you install the Survey module, use your visor and switch to the desired mode (default key  '1' while scanning).  If a hotspot is nearby (within 300 units or so), the scanner will indicate the direction and distance.  To orient yourself to the correct direction, turn until the left and right indicators in the visor converge (you'll know what that means when you do this - it's difficult to describe in text).  When you get within 10 units or so of the hotspot, the scanner will automatically analyze the content.  If it is an energy hotspot, then you can build the generator on that spot.  The closer to dead center on the spot you build the generator, the higher percentage of potential energy you'll have available.  You can build more generators nearby, but each will diminish in potential with distance from the source.

Planet surfaces will regenerate after you've moved out of the system except for the area around your base (I forget the encompassing number of units radius to your base computer ... 200? 300?).  Information about terrain edits around your base are stored in your save file.  You also have a limited (but large) number of terrain edits available around your base.

If you like "artifact" hunting, planets with extreme storms (indicated in a space scan of the planet by having 'activated' metals) will have storm crystals that appear during those storms.  Storm crystals sell for ~500k each, and they can be collected quickly so long as you have sufficient environmental protection.  I've hunted storm crystals in either an exocraft or my ship (lots of launch fuel).  You can crash a system's local economy by selling large numbers of a trade good, so sell them all at once if possible.  Storm crystals are best seen and hunted at night so you can detect their glow better through the storm at a distance.

Other planets with "artifacts" include ancient bones, and (forgot the correct name) space debris salvage.  Both of these will be indicated in a space scan of the planet.  The latter is potentially more dangerous than the former because the artifact may spawn a corrupted sentinel which will attack while you're digging out the artifact.

All of the above artifacts sell for a random amount ... some more than others.

Another good source of revenue, when you get this far, is to do daily missions for your agricultural station at your base.  You'll be given a task to grow a certain plant, and you'll be rewarded with a plant-type artifact which you can sell for significant number of units.

Edited by Elovia
Pasanda and Jag like this