Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Lasraik

No Man's Sky Next

149 posts in this topic

Hold down the 'E' on your keyboard.

That won't help with hyperlinks either, FWIW.

Edited by Elovia
Pasanda likes this

39 minutes ago, Pasanda said:

A couple of my freighters got damaged on expeditions overnight. I'm just trying to work out how to fix them. Ran out of time.

Load up your inventory with gold, silver, chromatic metal, and possibly something else I've forgotten.  Land on the damaged frigate, and go through the communication dialog.  Exit your ship and head for the way-markers.  Some frigates can be a bit of a maze - including seemingly invisible barriers.  When you reach the marked consoles, deposit the requested material.

DO NOT JETPACK OR OTHERWISE FALL OFF THE FRIGATE.  You will die.  That is all.

After you've found and completed the last console deposit, make your way back to your ship and take off.

Repeat as often as required.

Like other aspects of the game, it's interesting the first couple of times and then becomes tedious.

Edited by Elovia
Pasanda likes this

Thanks.

I had a brief look around the system, where my main freighter is and couldn't see any of my other ships. Although i didn't look that hard either. I saw something else shiny... probably. SQUIRREL!

Claimed another wrecked ship last night worth £3.5m. Tidy way to make money IMO. Nice looking ship that i may fix instead of sell. I am looking for a tough fighting craft at some point. It's one of the ones that look like the Sulaco drop ship (Cheyenne) with the missile clusters out.

It's hard for me to fathom someone of <cough> our age, having grown up without Aliens in their life.

Elovia likes this

I watcheed the first two movies, but they're just not memorable enough, or I just don't care that much about them to remember details like these. Sorry.  I never was an Aliens fanboi.  Not that there's anything wrong with it.

So yes, crisis averted.  You can mentally rest easy in your presumptions. :D 

I found those damaged fleet ships, and immediately got stuck as i couldn't get through a doorway, blocked by some half visible bars. I fixed one other ship and sent it away on some 1 star trade mission. The ship was classed as a trader. The ship suffered damaged to 4 systems, each requiring 100k wirth of platinum. It really isn't worth it. I also read that a number of people just stick with the main ship for missions for the same reason.

I feel i'm getting close to saturation. I've completed all the missions from the 4 staff at the base. I haven't concluded the plant chap as they don't seem that interesting. I have my 3 exocraft too. Main quests are looking to take me to the centre of the galaxy. So i'm winding up to try that out.

Got quite depressed by the realisation that one just can't sell ships. I claimed a ship underwater worth £15m, and the only thing i can do with it is trade it in for another ship that i don't really need.

1 hour ago, Pasanda said:

I found those damaged fleet ships, and immediately got stuck as i couldn't get through a doorway, blocked by some half visible bars. I fixed one other ship and sent it away on some 1 star trade mission. The ship was classed as a trader. The ship suffered damaged to 4 systems, each requiring 100k wirth of platinum. It really isn't worth it. I also read that a number of people just stick with the main ship for missions for the same reason.

I feel i'm getting close to saturation. I've completed all the missions from the 4 staff at the base. I haven't concluded the plant chap as they don't seem that interesting. I have my 3 exocraft too. Main quests are looking to take me to the centre of the galaxy. So i'm winding up to try that out.

Got quite depressed by the realisation that one just can't sell ships. I claimed a ship underwater worth £15m, and the only thing i can do with it is trade it in for another ship that i don't really need.

Oh you have plenty to do.

And yes, while you can't sell ships directly, you can disassemble unwanted ships for scrap goods which you sell for units and nanites ... this is where the free money you thought you had with the derelicts comes from. But you're right; you have a maximum of six spaceships you can have in your personal fleet.  The trick is to repair the unwanted ones just enough to fly it to the space station (or make it  your primary ship on a planet base and teleport to the space station), and use the spaceship terminal there to break it down into scrap (don't worry, another of your ships will take its place in the hangar so you won't get stuck on the station).  Disassemble any installed mods to reclaim those components before you scrap it.  If the ship that you scrap is an A-class or possibly even a B-class, there is a chance you might get rewarded with a ship augment ... which allows you to add a slot to your daily driver ship's cargo or tech areas.

You may want to concentrate on completing the Atlas path after completing the Artemis path, and then the Dreams of the Deep path so you can explore or build a base underwater (a different set of excitement and thrills).  The Atlas path is repetitive, but at least has some interesting lore (for those of us who actually read it).  The Artemis path is a bit sad in a way ... can catch you in the feels.  The Dreams of the Deep path is just ... wet ... and different ... kind of a poor man's Subnautica.

You can also see if you can find and collect all the goodies (i.e., base decoration objects) from each of the exotic-biome planets.  Some of them are hard to spot ... No Man's Easter Egg Hunt.

There is always a clear pathway to the consoles to repair your frigates, but they tend to be a bit of a maze to figure out.  Good thing is there are very few variants, so after you've learned them, finding the consoles is a lot easier.  100k platinum ... ouch.  Look for asteroid fields with crystalline clusters.  Those crystals net platinum.  But yikes, that's still a lot of mining.  Used to be that you could send a damaged frigate off on missions so that eventually it would die and never return;  I think they fixed that and you can no longer send out a damaged ship.  This just emphasizes the importance of sending out a fleet that is rated at least one star greater than the mission difficulty rating.  If you do that, you'll rarely have to repair frigates again.  Oh ... also match the frigate type to the mission type (support ships can always accompany other types).  Sending a trade frigate out on a combat mission and vice versa is pointless.

Edited by Elovia

10 hours ago, Elovia said:

Oh you have plenty to do.

And yes, while you can't sell ships directly, you can disassemble unwanted ships for scrap goods which you sell for units and nanites ... this is where the free money you thought you had with the derelicts comes from. But you're right; you have a maximum of six spaceships you can have in your personal fleet.  The trick is to repair the unwanted ones just enough to fly it to the space station (or make it  your primary ship on a planet base and teleport to the space station), and use the spaceship terminal there to break it down into scrap (don't worry, another of your ships will take its place in the hangar so you won't get stuck on the station).  Disassemble any installed mods to reclaim those components before you scrap it.  If the ship that you scrap is an A-class or possibly even a B-class, there is a chance you might get rewarded with a ship augment ... which allows you to add a slot to your daily driver ship's cargo or tech areas.

You may want to concentrate on completing the Atlas path after completing the Artemis path, and then the Dreams of the Deep path so you can explore or build a base underwater (a different set of excitement and thrills).  The Atlas path is repetitive, but at least has some interesting lore (for those of us who actually read it).  The Artemis path is a bit sad in a way ... can catch you in the feels.  The Dreams of the Deep path is just ... wet ... and different ... kind of a poor man's Subnautica.

You can also see if you can find and collect all the goodies (i.e., base decoration objects) from each of the exotic-biome planets.  Some of them are hard to spot ... No Man's Easter Egg Hunt.

There is always a clear pathway to the consoles to repair your frigates, but they tend to be a bit of a maze to figure out.  Good thing is there are very few variants, so after you've learned them, finding the consoles is a lot easier.  100k platinum ... ouch.  Look for asteroid fields with crystalline clusters.  Those crystals net platinum.  But yikes, that's still a lot of mining.  Used to be that you could send a damaged frigate off on missions so that eventually it would die and never return;  I think they fixed that and you can no longer send out a damaged ship.  This just emphasizes the importance of sending out a fleet that is rated at least one star greater than the mission difficulty rating.  If you do that, you'll rarely have to repair frigates again.  Oh ... also match the frigate type to the mission type (support ships can always accompany other types).  Sending a trade frigate out on a combat mission and vice versa is pointless.

Great response. Loads of f/up.

I've only used the spaceship terminal by accident. I'd realised you could breakdown modules for components, but I hadn't realised you could break ships down there. Good info! If you have more than one base, can you have a ship at each base? That might be a goal worth pursuing.

I've completed Artemis ans yes, it was quite a heart-rending ending. I chose to let him live out his life virtually, but i did tell him the score. It's what i'd have wanted - i think...

So Atlas is one that i could take on next. I've done a fair bit and my current mission is to visit the galaxies core. Not sure how far through that is.

I've completed the dreams of the deep quests, and that's where i got the £15m ship from and a wreck - although it's confused me that although i claimed it, it hasn't appeared in my Capital ships docks, along with the other 3 claimed ships that have. Is there a limit of 3 spaces on the capital ship? 

I'm not really interested in underwater habitations - having killed Subnautica. I am interested in a second base, and have even found a nearby planet that seems a likely candidate. No storms and the atmosphere has no nasties. I'm still looking out for the "GOTCHA". It's probably a Purge planet at night, or something.

Easter eggs and finding new stuff only works for me if there is an end-goal motivation. Not just money, but money because i want to do some that needs money. I'm not rich, but i'm no longer looking for money to do stuff and i can't think what i want to do, aside for Atlas and another base, of course.

Regarding the repair, aside from jumping of the edge of the ship to look for doorways underneath, i've search high and low. There are only two ways into the ship i can find and both lead off ramps at the landing point. They branch symetrically into 4 more paths, 2 of which go to other consoles. But none of them go to the place on the other side of the blocked doorway. If i look right or left through the blocked doorway, i can see another door at each end of the short corridor that the console is in, but i can see no way to get to the other side of those doors.

The frigate i'm talking about is this type, where you land on the rear deck and the entryways are just ahead of that. It's the one bottom left in this image. Very modern looking.

freighters-v2.png

Really great idea with the platinum. Those crystal are not common, but i have found them before.

Elovia likes this

I'll try to remember to take a tour on one of my trade frigates tonight to see if I can help you find the correct path to fix yours.  It has been a while, and a few updates, since I've been on one so my memory is not clear on where to go.

Your freighter will accommodate all six ships in your fleet.  Freighters have nine landing pads (three in each of three bays), so your fourth ship may be in one of the other bays (?).  Used to be, unless they fixed this, that when you had all six ships on the freighter, NPC ships would no longer land there.  [edit: are you able to summon the 4th ship while on a planet, or is it in too much disrepair to fly?]

In regard to your question about bases and ships at each base ... You only get up to six ships in your personal fleet, and out of that fleet, you can have only one active primary ship at any given time.  Each time you summon or enter one of your ships, that ship becomes your primary.  You can, of course, summon multiple ships to a planetary location, but only the most recently summoned or entered one will be your primary that stays with you when you teleport.  All others will return to virtual storage and will be available without need to summon them on your freighter (you can still summon them elsewhere provided your primary ship has enough fuel).

Exocraft have a slightly different mechanic because there are only a finite number of them assigned to you (one of each type - the Pilgrim is a fun one) ... and you can leave them at a base (even though you can summon them elsewhere provided you have built the required stations).

I'm sure there are ways to refine platinum, but can't recall them off the top of my head at the moment ... something, something gold plus silver plus something.  Again if I remember to do so tonight, I'll look through my refining notes to see if I can find the/a recipe.  I'm usually awash in the stuff and haven't needed to make any.

Edited by Elovia

9 hours ago, Elovia said:

I'll try to remember to take a tour on one of my trade frigates tonight to see if I can help you find the correct path to fix yours.  It has been a while, and a few updates, since I've been on one so my memory is not clear on where to go.

OK ... I landed on one of my trade frigates (well, two of them actually ... one each in different characters thinking the ship on an older character still retained an older layout ... it doesn't).  I'm not sure where you're having difficulty.  Did a reload solve the problem and allow you to get past the doorway?  It sometimes does with these types of quirks.

On my trade ship, there are two ramps down from the flight deck, and both ramps lead to the same platform.  The platform forms a Tee intersection with the two ramps, and the straightaway part of the Tee (pointing to the front of the frigate itself) heads toward a door behind which is a room containing three consoles.  One space before the door, there are two ramps both headed downward, one to the right, and one to the left, which then lead to perpendicular ramps headed downward toward the front of the frigate.  These lower downward ramps each lead to a platform that immediately curves either left or right depending on which ramp you went down, and then heads straight for a door.  One square before the door, the platform splits to a path leading toward the front of the frigate whereupon a console sits at the end.  Inside each door is a common area where they meet at an isolated platform running fore and aft of the frigate ... in the forward direction, there upon sits a single console, in the aft direction is a window to space behind the ship.  I know this seems confusing, but that is my trade frigate's layout.

9 hours ago, Elovia said:

I'm sure there are ways to refine platinum, but can't recall them off the top of my head at the moment ... something, something gold plus silver plus something.  Again if I remember to do so tonight, I'll look through my refining notes to see if I can find the/a recipe.  I'm usually awash in the stuff and haven't needed to make any.

Yes.  The refiner recipe is 1 gold + 1 silver = 1 platinum.  I even verified in game that the recipe still works.

Edited by Elovia

That layout is exactly the same as mine, which one main difference. 

"The platform forms a Tee intersection with the two ramps, and the straightaway part of the Tee (pointing to the front of the frigate itself) heads toward a door behind which is a room containing three consoles."

The door that leads to the room with 3 consoles is transparent, yet you can see the metal struts. The door neither opens, nor allows me through.

Here. The thin blue bars are the bars of the blocked door. I cannot reach the consoles you can clearly see in front of me.

blocked.png

Elovia likes this

Yeah, that door should be solid and it should open (two panels split, one to each side frame, from a seam in the middle) as you approach ... like many other doors in the game.

Couple of things you may try ...

• Warp out of the system, and then warp back or summon your freighter to you in the new system.  This may force a geometry rebuild.
  • I suspect since the problem persists after exiting the game and then relaunching it, this didn't work.  This is the equivalent of turning it off and then back on.
  • Land on another trade frigate (if you have one) and see if the problem persists there.
  • Update any graphic drivers that may be needed.
  • Repair or verify install files in case something is corrupted
  • Try entering the room in 1st person mode vs. 3rd person mode.
  • And if finally push comes to shove, you can download then launch the save game editor (made by goatfungus), and repair the frigate in that program.  Feel free to also deduct the appropriate repair materials from your inventory while you're in there, just so you don't feel like you've cheated your way through an obstacle. The save game editor was made specifically to work around bugs/glitches like this.

Just curious ... do all the doors on the frigate look the same as shown in the image, or just the one door?  The answer may indicate whether the problem is local to the game or a translation somewhere between your machine and the game.

Edited by Elovia
Pasanda likes this

1 hour ago, Elovia said:

Yeah, that door should be solid and it should open (two panels split, one to each side frame, from a seam in the middle) as you approach ... like many other doors in the game.

Couple of things you may try ...

• Warp out of the system, and then warp back or summon your freighter to you in the new system.  This may force a geometry rebuild.
  • I suspect since the problem persists after exiting the game and then relaunching it, this didn't work.  This is the equivalent of turning it off and then back on.
  • Land on another trade frigate (if you have one) and see if the problem persists there.
  • Update any graphic drivers that may be needed.
  • Repair or verify install files in case something is corrupted
  • Try entering the room in 1st person mode vs. 3rd person mode.
  • And if finally push comes to shove, you can download then launch the save game editor (made by goatfungus), and repair the frigate in that program.  Feel free to also deduct the appropriate repair materials from your inventory while you're in there, just so you don't feel like you've cheated your way through an obstacle. The save game editor was made specifically to work around bugs/glitches like this.

Just curious ... do all the doors on the frigate look the same as shown in the image, or just the one door?  The answer may indicate whether the problem is local to the game or a translation somewhere between your machine and the game.

Thanks man. Some good ideas that i will try. But not tonight: Family just back from the weekend away. 

I couldn't say for sure. The repairs on the other frigate were not in the same place IIRC.

14 hours ago, Elovia said:

No, the other doors are like normal doors that swoosh open when you approach.

Elovia likes this

The ship wouldn't let me through the door. I gave up and concentrated on the first one, which seems much tougher.

51.5 hours in and i think i'm done. 

Completed the main quest line, where you travel across the galaxy picking symbols for the portal. Then gather the ingredients to activate it, park near the portal and activate it. Then choose from the 4 globes representing different galaxy types to reset to. I chose the most neutral one. Teleport to some seemingly random planet with a few minutes to find a way off. All of the technology on my multitool is damaged. All of the equipment on my main ship is damaged. Luckily, i have a 2nd ship which is nearly fried but capable of launching, which i then summon (to this new reset galaxy???).

The whole sequence felt ill-conceived. Especially trashing all my gear, and my ship, parked on a shiny planet god knows how far away. I'd be spending the next few weeks just restoring my gear and getting back to the point I was at before choosing the type of galaxy to reset to. Also, reset galaxy looks pretty much like my old one. 

Still, 51 hours is not too bad, and i enjoyed it a lot.

I wanna thank you Elovia for all the advice along the way. It was a fun few weeks fella.

Elovia likes this

Part of the fun of this type of game comes from sharing experiences.  So thank you in return for sharing yours.

I've probably sunk many hundreds of hours over probably a dozen or so characters.  I don't play it continuously, but instead pick it up every now and then for a day or two.  But I'll be honest with you ... I'm done with the grind.  Repairing broken equipment for the sake of doing so?  Nah.  Save game editor fixes everything so I'm back up and doing the things I actually do enjoy in game ... exploring, treasure hunting, finding crashed starships, learning the languages, discovering lore, etc.

The game is best when you establish your own personal goals ... "I'm going to find an energy hot spot and build a base there ..." or "I'm going to establish mining outposts for each of the major minerals" or "I'm going to build a farm on my freighter to produce the ingredients to be able to craft the most expensive items" and so forth.  I'm no electrical type, but I do like an intellectual challenge or puzzle, so it was quite enjoyable to me to figure out some of the wiring circuits with switches and logic components. I created automatically opening doors at one of my bases ... with all components hidden as much as possible.

The game is periodically updated, and that is an opportunity to jump in again and have a look around.  It'll be waiting for you when you're ready to return.  The giant red eye will be watching ... 16/16/16 ... *krzzzt*

Edited by Elovia

11 hours ago, Elovia said:

:D

You are not alone. 

These things just write themselves.

I grimaced.

Elovia likes this

6 hours ago, Elovia said:

So what's next on the Pasanda playbill?  Back to the dark side?

Still trying to get the damn server up and running. Experience has been a real challenge with 2 problems occurring for everyone 1 solved.

But once resolved, yes, i think i'll give fallen order another try. How about you?

3 hours ago, Pasanda said:

How about you?

I'll go just about anywhere my AOADD (Adult Onset Attention Deficit Disorder) will take me.  GoG tells me I have 401 games in my online library.  I've been trying to download Greedfall, but it's been failing on the 3rd 4GB chunk download.  Meanwhile I still have this plus Grim Dawn, Age of Pirates (Gentlemen of Fortune - Eras2 mod), Din's Legacy, Mount and Blade: Warband (Perisno 0.99 mod), Planetbase, Of Orcs and Men, and Starbound desktop icons staring at me and waiting for me to double-click them.  Also currently installed but not actively playing are Crossroads Inn (too buggy) and Pathfinder: Kingmaker (lost interest after a score of hours).

Jazz and Pasanda like this