Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Elovia

Considering a multi-boot config

9 posts in this topic

I currently have Windows 10, all patched up and whatnot.  This is fine for most ordinary tasks, but I occasionally like to play an older game that is no longer supported by Win10 but runs fine under Windows 7.  So I've been considering re-configuring my system to allow a dual boot with Win7 (or possibly multi-boot with some version of Linux).

Has anyone here done this, and have any useful advise?  That is, are there pitfalls to avoid, or preparatory things to do in advance to make the process smoother and easier, etc.?

I understand that if I took advantage of the free Win10 upgrade (either that or MS took advantage to foist it off on me), then I can no longer use my old licensed copy of Win7.  Is that true?

Does the ISO download from MS include all service patches, or is it just the base install ISO and services packs must be downloaded separately?

Inquiring minds want to know ...

Have you considered running a VM?  Dual boot is to much work for my taste.

I prefer Oracle VirtualBox.  From there, just download whatever ISO you want and you have another OS.  If something gets messed up ... delete and create a new VM.

4 hours ago, Dunnar said:

Have you considered running a VM?  Dual boot is to much work for my taste.

I prefer Oracle VirtualBox.  From there, just download whatever ISO you want and you have another OS.  If something gets messed up ... delete and create a new VM.

I had not, no.  Thanks for the idea.  I'll check into it.  After (admittedly very) briefly scanning the VirtualBox site, I take it this is similar to DosBox but as you say, it creates virtual machines using any OS, not just DOS.  I wonder if a Win7 VM using the same key code as the host will be a problem ...

I'm not all that familiar with VM's, but have colleagues who are. They use them heavily and this sounds like a good move. If you are going to commit time and effort into a VM, including valuable data (save games?), just deleting a VM might be more than flicking a switch.

7 hours ago, Elovia said:

I had not, no.  Thanks for the idea.  I'll check into it.  After (admittedly very) briefly scanning the VirtualBox site, I take it this is similar to DosBox but as you say, it creates virtual machines using any OS, not just DOS.  I wonder if a Win7 VM using the same key code as the host will be a problem ...

That is correct, you can create a VM using any OS.  Win 7, Win 10, Any flavor of Linux you can find, even iOS and Android.

I am sure there are ISO files you could find that are cracked or come with a code.  I remember having 30 days for a Win 7 unregistered image.

2 hours ago, Dunnar said:

I am sure there are ISO files you could find that are cracked or come with a code.  I remember having 30 days for a Win 7 unregistered image.

Sorry. Homie don't do crack. Call it a quirk of mine that I'll look for a legitimate license.  I may just recycle a key code from my kid's old broken laptop even though it may only be Win7 Home (a far lesser tier than the Pro version I'd rather have). Note to self: check to make sure it is 64-bit and not 32-bit. It was a cheap laptop.

I was looking through my stack of Windows licenses last night and recalled that I probably upgraded to Win7Pro from WinXPpro. As I recall, you used to be able to do a clean install of Win7 and then enter your WinXP key code for the upgrade. I suspect that may no longer be the case since MS wouldn't let me download the Win7 ISO after entering a WinXP code.

Edited by Elovia

Yea, VM's are the way to go now.  As far as the data you can just used a shared drive off of the base OS to store it so if you delete the VM image you lose nothing.

Elovia likes this