• 0
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Lasraik

Mogg Conscripts

Question

Have a question about Mogg Conscripts:

189.jpg

This happened to me today.  I have Mogg Conscripts on the battlefield.  My turn starts and I cast another creature, lets say Raging Goblin.  My opponent casts Counterspell on Raging Goblin.  Can Mogg Conscripts attack?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

8 answers to this question

  • 0

Hm, weird, I would be inclined to think that it CAN attack. Things that trigger "on cast" usually cannot be countered (except with Disallow), the ruling would be "The spell was CAST, but didn't RESOLVE." Mogg Conscripts should see that the spell was cast and be able to attack, even if the creature didn't resolve.

However, I don't know if the ruling changes between static and triggered abilities. DEFINITELY triggered abilities will trigger regardless of resolution, they'll trigger before the opponent even has a chance to respond.

Lasraik likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

Yes. A successful cast is one in which the spell is placed onto the stack. It doesn't matter whether or not the spell is then countered, it just mattered that you correctly casted it with proper costs etc.

Think like those nasty Eldrazi triggers effects on cast, (Ulamog, the Ceaseless Hunger). Same idea.

Lasraik likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

Answering in the negative would be like this... ***lets assume cards only entered the battlefield from casting spells (I know that isnt the only way)***

 

This would be one where if your creature spell was countered it would not work.

"Mogg Conscripts can't attack unless a creature entered the battlefield under your control this turn. "

Affinity for MTG and Lasraik like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
On 8/20/2018 at 2:56 PM, TheCandyMan said:

Answering in the negative would be like this... ***lets assume cards only entered the battlefield from casting spells (I know that isnt the only way)***

 

This would be one where if your creature spell was countered it would not work.

"Mogg Conscripts can't attack unless a creature entered the battlefield under your control this turn. "

 

On 8/20/2018 at 3:57 PM, AlbyMTG said:

Oracle text on Mogg Conscripts removes the word "successfully" from the text box. So, all you have to do is cast. It doesn't need to resolve. Hope this helped, but most people have also already given the correct answer.

 

On 8/8/2018 at 0:32 AM, teh_chris said:

Yes. A successful cast is one in which the spell is placed onto the stack. It doesn't matter whether or not the spell is then countered, it just mattered that you correctly casted it with proper costs etc.

Think like those nasty Eldrazi triggers effects on cast, (Ulamog, the Ceaseless Hunger). Same idea.

 

On 8/6/2018 at 9:22 AM, King of Jank said:

Yeah, some digging, it seems that "successfully" is an outdated text in MTG. And simply casting a creature, is good enough, even if it countered.

 

On 8/6/2018 at 7:27 AM, Affinity for MTG said:

Hm, weird, I would be inclined to think that it CAN attack. Things that trigger "on cast" usually cannot be countered (except with Disallow), the ruling would be "The spell was CAST, but didn't RESOLVE." Mogg Conscripts should see that the spell was cast and be able to attack, even if the creature didn't resolve.

However, I don't know if the ruling changes between static and triggered abilities. DEFINITELY triggered abilities will trigger regardless of resolution, they'll trigger before the opponent even has a chance to respond.

 

On 8/5/2018 at 11:39 PM, MTGMTB said:

Yes, actually. There's a difference to casting and it hitting the field. 

I'm studying to become a Judge, and the Apps give us obscure questions like this. 

So, looks like 5 - 1 that it can attack even if it's countered

King of Jank likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0