Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Lasraik

Friday Top 5: Ways you can improve your play

2 posts in this topic

What are the top 5 ways you can improve your play?

Mine are:

1.) Improve timing of combat tricks.  Sounds simple, but I often forget to cast spells or activate abilities until after my opponent declares blockers.  I've probably lost a handful of games because of it, all those points of damage add up.

2.) Remember triggers.  Keep telling myself I'm going to add a dice or a little counter to the top of my deck to remember any counters or abilities that trigger, but I never have.  Another way to lose close games.

3.) Make better decks.  Have some bad habits of falling in love with cards and forcing them into decks when they just don't fit or won't work to the decks strengths.  In addition, I fall in love with decks that turn out into glass cannons or just flat out don't work and try to make them work when they won't give me a real chance.

4.) Play slower.  Sometimes I feel rushed during my turns and forget to do things or just don't give myself a minute to think things over before doing them.  

5.) Try different formats.  I've been playing casual kitchen table stuff and only really played Pauper at my LGS.  Getting into other formats will help mix it up a little.

JesGolbez likes this

Hmm, this is a good topic, and it also might differ on your personality and learning type.
For me…

1.    Learn from past mistakes. In life, one of the best ways to improve is to fail and learn what not to do. Keep note, mentally, of what you might have done wrong, and work on not doing it (much) again
2.    Results-based thinking can be a trap. Just because a particular move or plan didn’t work out doesn’t make it a bad one, and vice-versa. The best you can do is to put yourself in the best position to win. Sometimes, variance, luck, and a better opponent get in the way.
3.    Don’t rush – Not quite the same as play slower, but make sure you take every phase/step and check all of your cards before ending a turn. Using dice/markers for certain triggers is a good idea. 
4.    Play against good players – I don’t mean go and get crushed, but it’s a good idea to play against strong players that will challenge you. I am not 
5.    Have a plan! What is your deck trying to do? It’s easy enough just to play cards in a sequence, but try to plan a few turns ahead (and things will change on the fly) and put your deck in the position to execute its gameplay. Even in limited, your deck will have a strength to it.