Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Pasanda

What mobile (cell) phone do you use and why?

14 posts in this topic

I currently use an LG G6 running Oreo. It's about 20 months old. I'm not a big fan of phones, and i certainly don't need newest and best. I do like a big-ish screen, as i basically use it as a portable computer. I make and receive about 5 calls per week, so am a very lite phone user. So my basic requirements for a phone are big screen, fast enough to make fair use of the big screen. 802.11AC. and that's about it. 32Gb is fine for me. I don't really play games much, although Fin occasionally steals it.

My wife has the ZTE Axon 7. It's my old phone, and around 8 months older than the LG. Although the G6 has a larger screen on paper, the G6 has a full face screen, and it's longer and narrower, so doesn't really seem any bigger.

The Axon has far superior speakers. Probably the best i've heard on a phone. And it has Dobly Atmos for whatever that's worth.

I have an irrational hatred of Apple and everything they make and do. It was hard visiting the US, who seem to have an unbreakable love affair with the shitty company.

Edited by Pasanda

Typing this out on a LG G4. I'm not a smartphone-ophile. I may get a call once or twice a month. I use it mostly for listening to music (headphones) at work, the occasional text with the wife, checking/responding to email after work hours, snapping quick photos (again at work), and occasionally surfing limited places on the internet.  I don't have many apps at all. I don't play games or watch videos on it.

This phone is getting a bit long in the tooth, but it still adequately serves its purpose.  I like the subtlely curved screen; it fits my hand. And the hand-stitched leather cover is different and distinguishes from sll those metal and plastic covers out there.

Headphone jack? Check.

Removable/replaceable battery? Check.

Removable storage? Check.

I'm not sure what else I need. :)

I had both the G3 and the G4. The G4 was my favourite until i jumped in a pool with it in my pocket (the G6 is waterproof). Both my wife and I had the G4 with the brown stitched back, which we both loved. Hers went into boot loop. We tried everything to fix it without success. My son still has the G3, but we're waiting for a new battery.

42 minutes ago, Pasanda said:

It was hard visiting the US, who seem to have an unbreakable love affair with the shitty company.

Most people use Android ... just Apple just has the best marketing :) 

If you are not using a smartphone, I think you are missing out.  It is the one piece of technology that has impacted my life more than any other ... save the internet.

I have a Galaxy S9 though Verizon.

The battery life could be better.  The call quality / connection could be better.  But other than that, it is an awesome awesome awesome piece of technology.  I have stuck with the Samsung Galaxy product line for years.

First off, you can add a microSD card (unlike iCrap), so memory is not an issue whatsoever. 

This means I can hold every single piece of music I own.  I can download all podcasts that I am interested.  And I since it is synced to my car via BlueTooth, I use it for listening in the car.

It is my daily alarm clock.  Kitchen timer.  Workout timer.

I do all my banking via the mobile app.  Check deposits, P2P payments, bill pay, etc.

It is my camera and video recorder.  The 4k quality is spectacular ... as some of you noted in my vacation pics.  And since I have a microSD card, I don't worry about space.

Games games and games.  I play games ... usually solitaire.  Sometimes pokemon go.  I use the Destiny app to transfer items between characters ... in game.  I can see who is online via Xbox app.

It is my calendar.  All my vacation bookings are automatically synced with google in my calendar.  In addition to other reminders, dr, dentist, kids games.

Chrome ... my bookmarks are synced with my PC and tablet.

Email, fantasy football, keeping tabs on my kids (Snapchat, Instagram).

I use it for directions/GPS.  Contacts are synced.  Its my main source of weather information.  I check in my airlines and have digital tickets.

I connect it to Chromecast and stream Indians games and other stuff to my TV.

I use google drive to sync documents/items between my PC, Tablet and phone.

Its my calculator, book reader, work out assistant.  I can order food and pick it up ... subway, sometimes 5 guys.  Uber is fantastic.

And its waterproof.

iPhone, same as my wife. I don't need too much complicated on my phone, and we can sync up schedules, music, photos, etc. Clean and easy. (Note i hate apple pcs and laptops)

I used to have a Samsung Galaxy, but it crashed a lot and lost connection too often

Boag likes this

Iphones here for me and the wife.  Started with iPhone 3 and currently have a 8.  Use it similar to Dunnar.  Kids have the older ones that they use for games/youtube.

Lumia 950, the last flagship Windows Phone. I've had it for 2.5 years now. Windows is so much lighter to run than Android. The phone only has 3GB of RAM, but still responds lightning fast. The camera is very good, better than the Canon compact that we had. I use it for almost all snapshot moments (got a Sony a6000 for more serious photography), and with Onedrive all the photos get automatically uplodaded to our pc's HDD. It's nice not having to fiddle with usb-cables anymore. There always was an app-gap, and since Windiows phone is now discontinued (I was very sorry to hear that) some apps will probably be dropped soon. For now though Facebook, Whatsapp, Telegram & Instagram are still being updated, and I don't use other apps besides those. My wife has a Lumia 650, and she would like to have Snapchat, if only for the kids' enjoyment. The Edge browser is fine for my phone. And it has the address bar on the bottom for easy thumb access. No idea why Android & IOS don't do that yet. 

I consider it a €425 well spent, especially if I can squeeze another year (and a half) out of it. With good camera phones now easily costing north of €800 I will have to start looking into decent cameras on mid-range phones by then I'm afraid. I got my mum a Wileyfox Swift 2x, and my dad a Xiaomi Mi A1. Both cameras appear to make nice pictures in good light.

As a side-note. My dad used my wife's old Huawei before. It can barely last a day on its battery now, so he wanted something else. Instead of throwing it away, we ordered our daughter (of almost 10) a €2,50 subscription (100min/250MB) so she can Whatsapp with some friends. Whaddayasay, too young still?

I wanted, and was about to buy the 950. A colleague, whose opinion i trust, was also raving about how good Windows Phone was. The day before i was due to order it, they announced dropping windows phone as an OS.

Glad to hear it's still giving you a good service.

I looked at Windows phones ... they showed a lot of potential ... problem is, apps.  Many app developers develop for Android and iOS.

My son will be 10 in December and the old iPhone he has is active.  He uses it mainly to facetime friends while they game.  Some of his buddies don't have mic on their rigs.  Don't think he is ready for all the other social apps, since it is harder to limit them, IMO.  And he hasn't ask for any of them.

Galaxy S9+

I've been trying to stay on the same model phone my mom uses (as she's not the most tech savvy) in order to help answer questions, fix issues, and save trips to the provider. She wanted to upgrade to the S9, so I switched over from my old i7.

I've got an LG G3 that was handed down to me from my wife when she upgraded a couple years ago.,  

She's since upgraded again so there's an unused LG G4 sitting on the shelf, but there's no reason to change. The G3 does everything I need it to (podcasts, web access, even occasional phone use).  The battery has some issues now with running down too quickly, but it's not spontaneously dying or anything yet... when it does I might have to move on.

My favorite phone ever was an HTC Legend; tiny little screen (2.5 inches?) ran android 2.2.3 I think, aluminum case, curved bevel.  I used that phone for almost 4 years.  Battery died.  I still have it. :)