Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
MTGandME

Guilds of Ravnica Spoilers & Speculation

32 posts in this topic

So,

Official spoiler season is almost upon us, and Wizards seems to have helped us along by they themselves leaking the Guilds of Ravnica buy a box promo!  I've done a couple videos on Ravnica so far, but was wondering what everyone else thinks is coming in the new set?  

If Convoke is returning, for example, what else are we likely to see as guild-distinct keywords?  I'd propose that dredge and transmute, while sweet mechanics, are probably too busted/powerful for standard, so Dimir and Golgari will probably get something new.  What about Izzet?  Both replicate and overload seem fine as mechanics, not necessarily unbalanced as long as they're costed appropriately.  Boros abilities are meh with Radiance and Battalion, but if I had to guess, Battalion is more likely to return.  

What about card cycles?  The guildhomes from original Ravnica always seemed pretty cool.  I'd love to see a legendary spell land cycle to go along with the guilds.

JesGolbez and Lasraik like this

For those who haven't seen the "leak," here it is.

Uge4PRx.jpg

This is kind of an over-the-top prediction, but...

Perhaps the guilds will break apart and align themselves with The Gatewatch or Nicol Bolas, If that's the case, perhaps the guilds will restructure into 4-color guilds. We still don't don't have official names for the 4-color combinations, currently people just use the Nephilims, which, ironically, were from original Ravnica, so it would make sense if they returned, and the resulting 5 groups can solidify names for those color combinations.

ChuckWagonMTG likes this

On 8/28/2018 at 7:38 PM, MTGandME said:

So,

Official spoiler season is almost upon us, and Wizards seems to have helped us along by they themselves leaking the Guilds of Ravnica buy a box promo!  I've done a couple videos on Ravnica so far, but was wondering what everyone else thinks is coming in the new set?  

If Convoke is returning, for example, what else are we likely to see as guild-distinct keywords?  I'd propose that dredge and transmute, while sweet mechanics, are probably too busted/powerful for standard, so Dimir and Golgari will probably get something new.  What about Izzet?  Both replicate and overload seem fine as mechanics, not necessarily unbalanced as long as they're costed appropriately.  Boros abilities are meh with Radiance and Battalion, but if I had to guess, Battalion is more likely to return.  

What about card cycles?  The guildhomes from original Ravnica always seemed pretty cool.  I'd love to see a legendary spell land cycle to go along with the guilds.

I'm really hoping for a legendary spell land cycle

1. More cool legendary creatures, which I expect

2. Shocklands...need more reprints

3. Get the Dimir keyword right. Transmute and Cipher both sucked. Transmute is a useful mechanic, but it doesn't really scream GUILD MECHANIC.

4. I expect the guilds will fracture into little groups (pro-Bolas, as mentioned above) and/or morph into something a bit different. Perhaps each guild starts favouring one part of their colour pairing more... Boros becomes much more aggressive (red), Orzhov becomes much more peaceful (White), or death-aligned (black). 

Lasraik and ChuckWagonMTG like this

2 hours ago, JesGolbez said:

1. More cool legendary creatures, which I expect

2. Shocklands...need more reprints

3. Get the Dimir keyword right. Transmute and Cipher both sucked. Transmute is a useful mechanic, but it doesn't really scream GUILD MECHANIC.

4. I expect the guilds will fracture into little groups (pro-Bolas, as mentioned above) and/or morph into something a bit different. Perhaps each guild starts favouring one part of their colour pairing more... Boros becomes much more aggressive (red), Orzhov becomes much more peaceful (White), or death-aligned (black). 

Well, some great spoilers off the MTG stream today!  I'm uploading now, but they introduced new keywords for the remaining 4 guild mechanics.  Dimir is getting 'SURVEIL' which is like a hybrid EXPLORE/SCRY effect... look at the top card of your library and either leave it in place or bin it.   Seems like it could be powerful. I agree Cipher sucked and it was also confusing, particularly to a new player.  Transmute is problematic to balance given the design space and tutors are extremely powerful.

Both Golgari and Izzet are getting new mechanics as well; Golgari cares about the number of creatures in graveyard (How this implements remains to be seen) while Izzet gets a flash-back/discard hybrid... I'm going to go out on a limb and say there's something fishy going on in Ravnica, and it's gonna be a graveyard matters set. 

Lasraik likes this

Well, the first 5 mechanics are officially spoiled. Convoke is the only return one, thus far. WOTC stream said the Guilds are actually a bit more insular right now.

kouxnsmyqaj11.png.22db5d7816350d6ed179c45d2f8de1bb.png

Mentor - More attacking-matters in Boros, but easier to trigger than Batallion.

Surveil - A scry that is kinda upgraded. Works very well with other mechanics and many of my decks...

Jump-Start: goofy name for a flashback mechanic. @AlbyMTG will be thrilled. A name like Jump-Start honestly makes me think of artifact creatures.

Undergrowth - Very Golgari, and works well with Surveil. 

AlbyMTG likes this

Jump-Start is basically a worse version of Retrace, but hopefully the cards will be more powerful as a result.

I'm not super pumped for Undergrowth because it'll either be broken or unplayable, like every graveyard mechanic ever - broken due to shenanigans, or unplayable due to strong graveyard hate. Surveil seems pretty spicy though, and mentor will probably be fun!

JesGolbez likes this

1 hour ago, Affinity for MTG said:

And some of the very first official previews!

DmDpB24UYAAxXLi.png.cd489e3c1cff67e3c136a90561c69088.pngDmDpSccXcAAg5Dc.png.c52042e2e6a0d52e137df0ba27040003.pngDmDo6u8VAAACkQI.png.1516dacc160598943560a62af0256a51.pngDmDp1xwVsAARUJT.png.037eba833e5f494f79ee2af9efacb709.pngDmDqF7KW4AAsNHK.png.3c6bb12fa4dbdfbffe90cebeb93a550e.pngDmDqLQlX0AA41ZW.png.8eb139be406c2015657b12658ae6222e.png

Yup, plus a few more!  You know what's interesting? The uncommons that were spoiled at PAX were basically simultaneously leaked on Reddit.  they look like they'll be the next 3 FNM promos, plus Emmara is probably the Store Championship promo.  Coincidence?  Maybe...

I really wish the PAX West event had been live streamed, because wow, what a doozie.   So what does everyone think of Ravnica Masters.... errr,  Guilds of Ravnica: Mythic Edition?  I'm mixed but it seems like a totally fine idea and I'll probably buy a box just to get the 8 alt-art planeswalkers, if I can get it for MSRPish.  

I honestly think the biggest challenge is managing PR on something like this; at its foundation, it's good for Wizards, it's good for collectors, and theoretically good for players, but people are still gonna feel bad about it.   I already saw someone comment on reddit about how they would have preferred 'random' chance to pull a masterpiece-like planeswalker to this guaranteed drop rate of 8 in 24 in a given box, lol.  

I'm trying to work out how to cover this: honestly, I had an idea last year that a commander/tiny leaders type draft format would be cool, but couldn't figure out how to get it to work.  This seems like the closest I've seen: you get a booster box with 8 type A and 16 type B packs: each player gets 1 type A seeded with a 'commander/leader who guides their draft choices.    Maybe possible in the future with this type of collation?  

JesGolbez likes this

I'm disappointed they brought Shocks back. Yes, I know they are the cornerstone of Ravnica, but they could have made something new. Feels too safe to me.

On the other hand I love all the mechanics in the set, but I'm concerned WotC is going to under-evaluate the power level of the graveyard, like they have before.

2 minutes ago, King of Jank said:

I'm disappointed they brought Shocks back. Yes, I know they are the cornerstone of Ravnica, but they could have made something new. Feels too safe to me.

On the other hand I love all the mechanics in the set, but I'm concerned WotC is going to under-evaluate the power level of the graveyard, like they have before.

Your first point is fair; I think there could be room for a cycle of utility lands, but I'm guessing that's for Ravnica 3.  Either that or weird 3 color shard-lands (fetchable tri lands maybe?) That being said, there are plenty of players who think this was a good choice, myself included.   I started playing right at the end of Theros and so had very few shocklands.  I was actually hoping they would get reprinted in modern masters, and I'm looking forward to building my playsets on the cheap. 

I definitely think the set is a graveyard matters set, and there are going to be some powerful things going on.

bonelesspizza likes this