Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Mantadiablo

Haven't played in a while and need help

6 posts in this topic

Hello again...I see that since they've come out with "Planeswalkers" that they have added newer abilities. I purchased a booster box of M19 & pre-ordered a box of Guilds in hopes to build a "great" deck and get back into the tourney scene. I need a little help, as I pulled a few Planeswalkers, and not sure how to play the abilities. I will attach pictures of the cards in question, along with a land card. What is this new diamond looking thing? Are the Planeswalker cards only used in "commander" or can they be used in modern play as well?

5b8b01ea1d8a0_M19Pull.thumb.jpg.946670ab7e0409eb95f4da9ebf78b999.jpg

What do the plus and minus symbols mean? How do you activate them? Do you use life, or is it activated by that the diamond symbol on the land card?

Thanks for your help in advance..

Lasraik likes this

Hey @Mantadiablo! Welcome back to the game!

We'll start with the easier parts of your questions. The planeswalkers are legal in standard as long as they are printed in a standard legal set and they are legal in modern as long as they were printed in a modern legal set. So, for the planeswalkers you have here, both are legal in basically every format from standard to modern to vintage to commander. The diamond symbol on the land stands for colorless mana. You can't use to pay for white, blue, black, red, or green. It can only be used for colorless. For example, that Liliana planeswalker that you have has 2 generic mana needed to cast it. So, you would need at least 2 black sources (basic swamps for example) and then you could tap 2 Detection Towers to pay for the other 2. You can also pay for the Liliana with 2 black and 2 of anything else (green, white, colorless, etc.). However, you wouldn't be able to play the Liliana by tapping 3 Detection Towers and a Swamp.

Now for how planeswalkers work. They can be a bit intimidating at first, but they become quite easy to use once you know what to do with them. This article from WOTC does a great job of explaining how planeswalkers work, but if you have any additional questions about anything, be sure to ask!

Link to "How Planeswalkers Work" https://magic.wizards.com/en/game-info/planeswalker-cards

Affinity for MTG and Lasraik like this

The Nicol bolas you Have is a amazing card but is almost impossible to play in a deck consistently because it is a tri colored card and you have to transform it from creature to planeswalker.

He sees play in decks built to protect him and buy you time to transform the creature into a planeswalker that can win you the game quickly. The backup plan of the deck is to kill with creatures and direct damage spells, which isn't bad either.

Yea I have a deck made to counter planeswalkers so I do have a bit of a biased opinion on planeswalkers.