bonelesspizza

Advice on tri color deck

10 posts in this topic

Anyone have any advice on building a tri color (green, black, red) deck. I looked at all the sites and watched some videos but I need a little bit more advice or a plan I could follow. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Green, red, black is Jund, which is a somewhat prominent deck in the modern meta, but very expensive. 

What were you aiming to do with your deck? The mana base is an expensive part of most modern decks, but you might be able to get away with a cheap manabase depending on what your build is going to be (Ie: Tribal you could use Unclaimed Territory, splashing one colour; you could use Aether Hub).

Im trying to build a pirate deck. I have 3 angraths and I want to make a green, red, black. I want it to be a even 3 color no splashing. I don't know how to splash.

Okay, so if you want it to be consistent, there are fetches and shocks you could use, but that is going to be pricey. 

If this is just for fun and casual, I would suggest Unclaimed Territory, Savage Lands, the check lands, and maybe a city of brass or two?

Do you have a deck list we could look at?

Image result for unclaimed territory Image result for savage lands mtg  Image result for mtg check lands

Related image

are 3 color decks viable in tournaments? I am doing a FNM tournament tonight and I have plenty of time to play test it before then.

You are building this for modern right?

Well 3-colour decks are viable but generally cost a lot of money in order to become consistent. It really depends on your meta as well. Is your local modern group janky or fairly competitive? In all hoensty, I probably wouldn't consider a deck with the land base I suggested to be viable, but you never know!

yes for modern, Our group can be competitive. wanted to make a tri color to cover the weaknesses of the other colors.

Many modern jund decks run a land base of: 

4 raging ravine

3-4 bloodstained mire

4 verdant catacombs

4 blackcleave cliffs

2 overgrown tomb

1-2 blood crypt

0-1 stomping ground

0-1 twilight mire

2 swamp

1-2 forest

For a total of 23-25 lands depending on the curve of the overall cmc of spells