Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JesGolbez

[GRN] Guilds of Ravnica Prerelease Weekend

6 posts in this topic

With prerelease weekend upon us, is anybody else here going to the Guilds of Ravnica events this weekend? If so, what guild(s) do you want to play?

@Aurian and I plan to go to the Saturday prerelease. I chose Golgari, since I love using the graveyard to recycle, and it’s my second-fave guild after Orzhov. @Aurian is going Dimir, since she likes blue and even though she likes Izzet more, the Surveil mechanic and Dimir cards seem much more interesting.

I'm going to one this weekend. I chose Boros, even though I find it rather boring, I think the mentor mechanic will be good in limited. And that limited generally has little ramp, so the disadvantage of going R/W is minimal compared to constructed.

The surveil mechanic seems better in limited than I originally thought. Playing useful limited cards with an additional scry affect is going to be nice to get rid of late game lands on the top of your deck.

JesGolbez likes this

5 hours ago, King of Jank said:

I'm going to one this weekend. I chose Boros, even though I find it rather boring, I think the mentor mechanic will be good in limited. And that limited generally has little ramp, so the disadvantage of going R/W is minimal compared to constructed.

The surveil mechanic seems better in limited than I originally thought. Playing useful limited cards with an additional scry affect is going to be nice to get rid of late game lands on the top of your deck.

Early returns give Boros quite an edge due to its aggressiveness and ability to curve out. I do well with aggro decks, but when I am having fun, I like to durdle around :P 

King of Jank likes this

So I ended up going 3-1 in the prerelease with my Boros deck. Honestly don't think I deserved it, My pool was missing key cards like the Lifelink Hawk and Skyknight Legionnaire, but it still worked out. I did pack the Legion Warboss that turned out to be an all-star. I only played against two other decks: 2 Boros decks (1 splashing blue), and 2 Dimir decks (1 splashing green). Tajic and Aurelia were terrible to play against and it was Aurelia that handed me my losing round after a intense game 3 in round 4 (I was at 7, he was at 3, killed my blocker, and had 9 power on the board. My removal spell in hand - Final Justice, couldn't kill Aurelia because she was a 4/5). Cosmotronic Wave also single handedly won me a game by allowing to swing 18 damage for lethal.

All in all I think it was a great prerelease, and the games were fun. Much better than the Ixalans or Dominaria. 

JesGolbez and Lasraik like this

Unfortunately, @Aurian got a stomach bug on Saturday, so we didn’t go to our event. We did, however, have our own 1v1 release event with the kits and box we bought.

It’s probably a good thing I wasn’t in the event with the GOLGARI box I got. My promo was the crappy sorcery that returns up to 3 multicolour cards from graveyard to hand, and the rest of the seeded pack probably had the worst mix of cards. My 6 packs were so bad that I ended up with one…ONE black removal spell, ONE undergrowth card, and ended up building a Selesnya deck. I would have gone an easy 0-x with such rubbish. 
Aurian would have ended up with an amazing Dimir deck with her Dimir kit… lots of surveil, flyers, and removal. 

Our booster box was also kinda meh… not a lot of value in it… no Assassin’s Trophy, no Vraska… ☹ 
--

@King of Jank - Cosmostronic Wave is one of those cards with the highest win %...because you don't play it unless you are going to win the game. It's the perfect spell for Boros decks. Good job on the 3-1

Didn't make it to pre-release, but it's fun hearing all of your experiences