Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Affinity for MTG

Guilds of Ravnica card stock?

9 posts in this topic

I didn't go to pre-release so I haven't felt the new cards yet. For US players, how do the cards feel compared to older sets?

It seems like every time I start opening packs of a new set I THINK they feel better, but as I sort through old cards there is no doubt that the quality has continued to get worse and worse with time. Honestly, Kaladesh/Amonkhet cards feel WONDERFUL compared to M19/Dominaria, which feel (and smell) terrible when sifting through a large pile.

Is there any improvement at all with Guilds of Ravnica?

I think there is improvement from what I can tell. The only exception is the tokens. The tokens feel significantly more flimsy than the other cards in the set, but it doesn't really matter because they're just tokens.

Lasraik likes this

Knock on wood, they seem to have improved. It's been wet as can be here the last week and my dehumidifiers have been running non stop. But even with all of that, no issues as of yet.

I still haven't felt any of the cards, but I've heard a lot of talk around the LGS that the cards feel better to the touch. I hope that turns out to be the case!

I've did win a single pack of Guilds last week playing Modern but I have to wait until the end of the month before I can open it. Argh!

I am sorry to say this but.... The new cards feel cheap and they have a very strong chemical smell to them that doesn't go away. The cards of the newest set are definitely thinner than older sets as well. I have cards from back in Alpha, up to the newest set and these new cards are some of the worst that I have ever seen.  It seems as though Hasbro has found a "cheaper" way to produce the cards, in order to make even more money off of them. Being a player that started "back in the day", when WOTC owned MTG and everyone used Inquest or Scrye to determine prices, I feel that when Hasbro bought WOTC out, and started mass producing cards, that they have always been coming up with "new" ways to maximize their profits. Unfortunately, this usually happens at the expense of the players.

JesGolbez likes this

Well, I think we get the same North American card stock up here in Canada. I am not sure I noticed the cards being really bad, but I do think they are flimsier than they used to be... they don't quite feel as sturdy.

I opened a Guilds of Ravnika booster box and I thought it smelled and felt fine. Is the problem still going on or has it gotten better?

I recorded a Spoils of War video for the channel earlier today and handled Guilds of Ravnica cards for the first time. They are definitely better than Dominaria/Core Set 2019, but they still feel pretty bad to me. Seems like we've made it back to the Kaladesh/Amonkhet quality, which is to say, really weak/flimsy/smelly and a little rough to the touch, but not quite the sandpaper quality of the last 2 sets.

Still no comparison to older cards, with their thicker card stock and silky smooth, glossy finish. Feels bad.