Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Affinity for MTG

Grand Prix weekends are now "MagicFests"

5 posts in this topic

You can read the full article here:

https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/competitive-gaming/2019-schedules-pro-tour-qualifying-and-magicfest-2018-10-04

The article has more depth, but these are the 3 main points.

• Grand Prix weekends are getting a new look and a new name: MagicFest! These weekends will play host to the Grand Prix main event but will also include all the side events, artists, panels, qualifying tournaments, and more that Magic fans love. Each Pro Tour in 2019 will be hosted at a MagicFest.
  • CFB Events has released the full MagicFest schedule. You can find it on their website here. You can also see updates to the prize pool here.
  • We're revamping how players qualify for the Pro Tour. The short version is that we're doing away with pre-qualifiers (previously called PPTQs) and creating a system to replace it that will provide a direct qualification path. This includes a pilot program that will test out professional tournament organizers and best-in-class WPN stores running direct qualification tournaments.
Lasraik likes this

My guess is that this happened due to low attendance at GPs.  There have been a couple of GPs here in Albuquerque and I don't bother going because I'm not playing and have zero interest in meeting professional players.  

With MagicFest at last people like me would have a reason to show up and check out side events, artists and so on.  

On the other hand, I can see why aspiring pro players would be discouraged.  Curious to see what is going to replace PPTQ's.

Indeed, the new name will probably encourage more casual players to show up, even if the competitive event is unchanged. The name feels a little weird to me though, but that's probably just because it's new.

I'm kind of bummed for my LGS in regards to the PPTQ thing. They only get 4-6 players on average for most events, so things like Pre-releases and PPTQs were the only times the store really raked in the money. The store usually gets 20-30 people for pre-release and the last PPTQ pulled in something like 23-ish people, which is pretty lucrative when people are paying $25 for the entry fee. I didn't see people talk about it much, but it'll definitely be a hit to my small town LGS.

Lasraik likes this

9 minutes ago, Affinity for MTG said:

Indeed, the new name will probably encourage more casual players to show up, even if the competitive event is unchanged. The name feels a little weird to me though, but that's probably just because it's new.

I'm kind of bummed for my LGS in regards to the PPTQ thing. They only get 4-6 players on average for most events, so things like Pre-releases and PPTQs were the only times the store really raked in the money. The store usually gets 20-30 people for pre-release and the last PPTQ pulled in something like 23-ish people, which is pretty lucrative when people are paying $25 for the entry fee. I didn't see people talk about it much, but it'll definitely be a hit to my small town LGS.

Not a fan of the name, either.  MagicFest seems more like a music festival or something.  Just doesn't fit.

That's a good point about this hurting local game stores, didn't even think of it from that angle.  

MagicFest is an actual festival in Europe :P (stage Magic)

The name is lame, but the idea makes perfect sense. These conventions are just that, and the GP is just one of the things taking place at them. The marketing will surround the fact that there are artists, dealers, side events, and much more that surrounds the GP. When I went to GP Vancouver years ago, and GP Vegas a couple of years back, I never had any interest in the main events. 

Lasraik likes this