Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Mantadiablo

Can't stand the smell!

7 posts in this topic

The past several booster boxes that I have opened smell so bad...What the hell? The cards smell like they are being run through horrid smelling chemicals as a part of their "new" process. Is it a definitive way to tell a "real" card from a "proxy" or did they just do it, to kill us off slowly? Whatever the case might be, I still have a great time opening packs ( opening a box of Guilds now), but I could definitely do without that horrible smell. Any thoughts?

Yeah, it's all pretty terrible. The cards feel bad too, when you're sorting through them it feels like your shuffling through sheets of sandpaper. I just sorted a bunch of cards and I could always tell when I'd hit a clump of Dominaria/M19 cards just by the feel alone. The smell is bad too!

It's an on-going problem in the MTG community. People have been complaining about it since the Kaladesh block and it's only gotten progressively worse with every set. It's also only a problem with United States boxes. People who have traveled overseas have confirmed that packs from different factories feel/smell fine. So it's just a US thing.

Lasraik likes this

1 hour ago, Affinity for MTG said:

Yeah, it's all pretty terrible. The cards feel bad too, when you're sorting through them it feels like your shuffling through sheets of sandpaper. I just sorted a bunch of cards and I could always tell when I'd hit a clump of Dominaria/M19 cards just by the feel alone. The smell is bad too!

It's an on-going problem in the MTG community. People have been complaining about it since the Kaladesh block and it's only gotten progressively worse with every set. It's also only a problem with United States boxes. People who have traveled overseas have confirmed that packs from different factories feel/smell fine. So it's just a US thing.

I agree about the feel too. Older cards had a much better feel. Hasbro must be trying to make even more money on mtg by using cheaper cardstock.

For Ravnica they fixed the package/card issue. I just opened the booster box pulled 2 planeswalkers and a bunch of mythics. Very happy with the box

On 10/6/2018 at 6:39 AM, Affinity for MTG said:

Wonder if this is a new process they are using and the company they contract to print the cards did this on purpose or by accident.

56 minutes ago, King of Jank said:

Normally when I crack a pack I take a big whiff, first time I did that on a GRN pack made me feel like I was huffing paint.

It's a good way to ensure you'll love everything you pull.

JesGolbez and King of Jank like this