How would you rate Guilds of Ravnica?

Rate Guilds of Ravnica   7 members have voted

1. 1. How would you rate Guilds of Ravnica

• Very good
    • Good
    • Average
    • Poor
    • Very poor

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

10 posts in this topic

Good, not great. 

Limited is fun, but kinda tilted to Boros/Dimir and you do get pushed into one of 5 decks... There is a lot of depth, though, and few totally dud cards. Thus, more playables = fewer decks that suck. Shallow draft environments are the worst. 

Mechanics:

1. Surveil is a big win. Finally, they got Dimir right. 

2. Convoke again? It fits flavourfully, but...meh..

3. Undergrowth - I love it, but they really didn't give Golgari much of it, and a few duds... flavour win, function meh

4. Jump-Start: Goofy name, but a thumbs up. 

5. Mentor - Boring, but very Boros.

The set has fewer legendaries that I figured it would, and it is the THIRD time we go to this world. It doesn't feel as NEW and FRESH as Return to Ravnica did, but more of a Fallout 4 :P

King of Jank and Lasraik like this

I keep finding gems in the set and time progresses. Ritual of Soot, Risk Factor, Lazav, Underrealm Lich, Mausoleum Secrets, Thief of Sanity etc. These are all cards I think got pushed to the way side because of Assassin's Trophy. Obviously other people are finding these too (eg: Risk Factor), but I think the hype was focused too much around the Trophy.

Hell, I even forgot about Chromatic Lantern reprint, which is EDH gold. I think because of this depth, this was a good set.

JesGolbez likes this

3 hours ago, Lasraik said:

Did both of you enjoy previous Ravnica sets?

Ravnica is my favourite setting. While I wasn't playing when original Ravnica came out, I do love and have many of the cards.

Dragon's Maze was one of the worst sets ever, for many reasons, but I enjoyed the first two of that block. Dissension was also rather weak. 

I like Guilds quite a bit. While drafting a guild is the most straightforward way to draft the set, splashing is very possible, very powerful and can make for some fun and challenging games. The set also has a high impact on standard and modern and both formats are fairly open and healthy, so I rated Guilds very good.

Lasraik and JesGolbez like this

On 10/31/2018 at 8:12 AM, Lasraik said:

Did both of you enjoy previous Ravnica sets?

The first one came out before I started playing, and Return happened during my break. So this is my first Ravnica set to play in. Honestly I wasn't that hyped, maybe it was because I didn't have the nostalgia of the other two?

Lasraik likes this

1 hour ago, King of Jank said:

The first one came out before I started playing, and Return happened during my break. So this is my first Ravnica set to play in. Honestly I wasn't that hyped, maybe it was because I didn't have the nostalgia of the other two?

I wasn't very hyped for the opposite reason, Ravnica is just old news and I wasn't super excited about going to a plane we'd already been at twice.

I must say, there is definitely something to the way people identify with guilds, though. It was the same way with tribal sets when I first got into the game. There were Goblin players, Elf players, zombie players, etc, and the way people latch on to a tribe and begin to associate with it brings an element to a set that most sets can't accomplish.

Even though I wasn't hyped for Ravnica, now that the guilds are real I can't lie, I'm eagerly anticipating Ravnica Allegiance because I need to know what Rakdos is up to! :D

Lasraik likes this

This set is great. After being on the site for quite a while now, you know that I love limited. Guilds of Ravnica has been out for less than a month and its already my most drafted set since I started playing Magic. Before the set was even out, I made the bold statement in a video where I said that Guilds of Ravnica was going to be one of the best sets in Magic's history and I think that its true. I've been having so much fun with this set.

Lasraik and JesGolbez like this

On 11/1/2018 at 4:57 PM, Affinity for MTG said:

I wasn't very hyped for the opposite reason, Ravnica is just old news and I wasn't super excited about going to a plane we'd already been at twice.

I must say, there is definitely something to the way people identify with guilds, though. It was the same way with tribal sets when I first got into the game. There were Goblin players, Elf players, zombie players, etc, and the way people latch on to a tribe and begin to associate with it brings an element to a set that most sets can't accomplish.

Even though I wasn't hyped for Ravnica, now that the guilds are real I can't lie, I'm eagerly anticipating Ravnica Allegiance because I need to know what Rakdos is up to! :D

I don't really care to re-visit Ravnica or guilds, but I think it's interesting the way people identify with each guild as well.  

Based on the rating, I might have to actually buy some sealed product.