Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Jag

Legendary Server

11 posts in this topic

So Lotro announced a new server this week.

It's call the legendary server.  I am not sure what to think about it yet.  LOTRO has a TON of unused content made inconsequential by level progression (Mordor is level 120).  The new server will be a locked progression server with no transfers allowed.  Initially it will launch with a level 50 cap, and no expansions available.  Then every 4 months or so (not sure this is set in stone) they are going to open up the next expansion and level cap.  Essentially allowing you to play and experience all the end game content the game has ever had, while actually being at end game. 

I can't make up my mind if this is going to be fun or not.  The group/raid content really is SO much fun, hunting for mobs and trying to harvest resources is not, although it has gotten much better.  With progression like this, getting raid items or completing a raid over and over won't be necessary at all.

This is not a pure reset, as the game with all of its polished functionality, is the same as it is now, minus the content.

I believe you do have to sub/lifetime in order to access the new server.

It opens Nov 6th.

Thoughts?

A part of me thinks it could be really fun, but another part says "you already did that and Nostalgia is hiding everything you hated about it".  Even another part says, "can't you already do this."  How is this really any different.

Maybe I can get my kid to join in.

Also, I think I actually have 10x the fun completing old content with a small but significantly over leveled group.  It is still challenging, but more rewarding.

The game is too large and has too much content now.  Most of it is just the same content in different scenery.  I thought about creating a new character as a High Elf (relatively new race) but then I shuddered to think about trudging all the way back through many of those legacy areas ... yet again.  They must know their audience better than I.  I would have thought fracturing their player base even more wouldn't be a good idea.  I get the sense that weekends are when most players are in game, and even then most areas are ghost towns.

Don't get me wrong; the unique content is or can be fun.  But the trudging from one end of the zone to the other multiple times in between the fun bits gets old.  At its roots, the game is designed as a classical MMO ... provide plenty of grind to keep the players busy and subscribed so they don't achieve too fast and experience it all.

I won't be there on the Legendary servers.  I'm barely there on the current ones.

Edited by Elovia
Jag likes this

It is fun kind of reliving the "newness" of a launch.  But honestly there isn't anything new going on here.

Did they provide a free pair of cosmetic rose-colored glasses to all the new characters on the new servers?

Edited by Elovia

No, but they limited XP by 40%, then allowed xp boots to be purchased.  The server is very active, and that makes it fun.

Well, that's over.

It is the same game, with 10x as many people.

Turns out I prefer the game without hundreds of people fighting over every quest mob and node.  Damn, I must be getting old.

So I am back to looting Talanriels Belfalas House of Crafting Pleasure.

2 hours ago, Jag said:

Well, that's over.

It is the same game, with 10x as many people.

Turns out I prefer the game without hundreds of people fighting over every quest mob and node.  Damn, I must be getting old.

So I am back to looting Talenriels Belfalas House of Crafting Pleasure and Ill Repute.

FTFY

"HA HA" - Nelson Muntz

Edited by Elovia

On 11/10/2018 at 6:05 AM, Jag said:

No, but they limited XP by 40%, then allowed xp boots to be purchased.  The server is very active, and that makes it fun.

xp boots?

Each expansion purchased preorder with cash included an item that increases xp gains to make leveling from 0-100 or so easier.  You can buy blue xp, for 1 hour xpboosters.