Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Jazz

Apu to be axed from The Simpsons (maybe, possibly, rumoured to be...)

11 posts in this topic

Apparently it looks like Apu might be dropped from the Simpsons due to his character being considered offensive.

https://news.sky.com/story/the-simpsons-indian-character-apu-axed-after-racial-controversy-11537982

The Simpsons is going to drop Indian character Apu following a backlash against alleged racial stereotyping, a producer has claimed.

Kwik-E-Mart owner Apu Nahasapeemapetilon will be quietly written out of the long-running TV cartoon series to "avoid the controversy", Adi Shankar said.

The Indian-American producer said he was told by two people who work on the show and a third source who works with creator Matt Groening.

Though this may not be entirely true, or rather the person making the claim "doesn't speak for them".

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/newsbeat-46017390

Last week, producer and Youtuber Adi Shankar claimed that The Simpsons plans to "drop the Apu character altogether".

But Al Jean, who is an executive producer, has responded on Twitter saying that Adi Shankar "does not speak for our show".

What do you think? Is Apu a rascist caricature that should go? Or a lovable stereotype in a show full of stereotypes?

And I need to work out what I'm doing wrong with quote boxes, had to edit that tremendously after it just stuck everything in one quote box.

This video explains why the axing of Apu is a terrible idea. Its long, but worth the watch in my opinion. A lot of the info about Apu is stuff the any regular Simpson fan probably knew already. He is educated, hard working, kind, charming, etc. But also shows a range of emotions: anger, lust, regret, fear. 

He is a well rounded character that is literally being boiled down to just an accent. Its insulting to the show, the character, and Indians in general. The truth is, if you are Indian and were called Apu growing up, it is probably because he was the ONLY well known Indian character on Western Television.

It is an interesting argument, and one that can set a bad precedent, especially given the other racial/geographical stereotypes on the show.

Jazz and Jag like this

Having just posted up something not dissimilar about race, this has me equally interested.

One thing that i try to do, is switch the situation around and try to imagine my reaction if it is was pointed at me. Queue Family Guy.

I just can't imagine anyone (British or otherwise) getting offended by this. Actually, I can. But they're probably all twats. So i kinda end up drawing the same conclusion for those crying about any racial stereotype, delivered like that.

Jazz likes this

Family Guy's portrayal of Brits was actually the first thing to cross my mind, and Groundskeeper Willie is a stereotype of Scotsmen. The Simpsons is a show about stereotypes, all of the characters are stereotypes of one thing or another. Homer is the stereotype of the lazy blue collar American, Ned Flanders is the stereotype of the fundamentalist Christian, Dr Hibbert is apparently based on Bill Cosby... I do feel the Simpsons have gone on too long (even their own creator has pretty much said that), but nothing to do with racism.

So, here's my two cents from someone who never really watched the Simpsons.

Apu being axed (whether or not it's true) is stupid. All the portrayals I've seen of him have portrayed him as simply a man who wants the best for his family, who works hard to get it, and just so happens to be Indian. But I always just read the comics, never really watched the show. Not too much my style :/

7 hours ago, Elovia said:

They axed my favorite character a long time ago ... Dr. Nick Riviera.  "Hi Every-body!"  "Hi Dr. Nick!"

voiced by the same chap as Apu.