Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Pasanda

Comments for different races?

9 posts in this topic

Have a read of this - he's talking about someones performance in a TV show...:

He gave us this speech about why using “Whitey” is so abhorrent in season 1 (which made me audibly say “yikes,” but we always say that whiteness is not monolithic. So...) but turned around and used it a lot in season 2 ... which was puzzling. And at the climax of his “you can’t break me” season 2 speech, he does perhaps the ugliest gesture I have ever seen, which is saying a lot since angry black pubescent kids who say “Honky” on Xbox Live and steal our dance moves from Fortnite have kind of made it their thing now.

Does this read as edgey, bordering on racist, or am i being over-sensitive? Before you answer, i am very happy to be being over-sensitive.

I am confused and need some context.

I know there are certain phrases that only one race can use.  For black people its ok to use the N word.  For white people it's "Thanks for the warning, officer." I don't know that black people can get away with saying "whoopsie daisy" either.

Edited by Jag

Yeah need context, what show is this? Is there a link to the article?

If that matters, then my experiment won't work. But i understand the need for context.

It's actually someone offering a critique of the series Luke Cage. But I switched the white and black references around, as i had a vague suspicion the language was distasteful, but doesn't seem to be subject to the same rules of what is acceptable. So i wanted to gauge reaction if i made it look like white people were using the same language and cultural references.

I think i'm starting to get fed up with all the news and reviews of shows like Luke Cage and films like Black Panther, being about race and colour first and content second. I would love to see the conversation and perceptions based upon their quality as a show, regardless of colour. I had a lot of time for the i09 blog, but they write about those two a lot, especially Black Panther. But is is ALWAYS about colour and culture. Rarely, if ever about how well they stand up on their artistic merit, storytelling, acting prowess, etc. etc.

If i were black, or a woman in TV or film, i'd be getting pissed off with people standing up for the wrong things, and keeping on drawing attention to my gender or colour. 

Here's the original...

He gave us this speech about why using “nigga” is so abhorrent in season 1 (which made me audibly say “yikes,” but we always say that blackness is not monolithic. So...) but turned around and used it a lot in season 2 ... which was puzzling. And at the climax of his “you can’t break me” season 2 speech, he does perhaps the ugliest dab I have ever seen, which is saying a lot since angry white pubescent kids who say “nigger” on Xbox Live and steal our dance moves from Fortnite have kind of made it their thing now.

Our country does not have a period in history for whites like it does for blacks.  The term "nigger" has a long decrepit history associated with Slavery.  A term that offensive doesn't exist, in any way for white people.  Honkey, redneck, whatever.  There is not a word out there that offends my racial identity.

Edited by Jag
Pasanda likes this

4 minutes ago, Jag said:

Because our country does not have a period in history for whites like it does for blacks.  The term "nigger" has a long decrepit history associated with Slavery.  A term that offensive doesn't exist, in any way for white people.  Honkey, redneck, whatever.  There is not a word out there that offends me for being white.

True. But i also believe offense can be derived more from how words are delivered; the emotion behind them, than the words themselves.

Edited by Pasanda
Boag likes this

I guess I have never seen that kind of hate directed at myself.  I can't imagine a scenario where I could be offended because of my race.

Here is where I get crucified.  IMO.  The black people in America, are from my perspective, incredibly insecure in their identity.  As such, although there are white extremists, racism is more prevalent among minorities.  They keep it alive, IMO, as a social and political tool to feed their entitlement.  Racism, like you saw in the 50's, just doesn't happen to the degree it once did on anywhere near the scale it once did.  Fair criticism is described as racist, even when warranted.

These teenagers are looking for the most offensive words, using them to cause as much damage as possible without regard because of their anonymity.  The words have roots in racism, but these teenagers are juveniles displaying abhorrent behavior for attention, not racists.

Edited by Jag
Boag likes this

To me racist words are like any other word.  They can only hurt you if you want them too.  ie Sticks and stones can break my bones but words can never hurt me.

And like Pas said it is more how the words are used, context/emotion, rather than the words that are the real problem.

Actually, everyone is racist. Even the poorest of the poor have something funny to say to a white rich man. You cannot condone a person for being a racist if you think you are clean. Just like black people (no offense), they do not like to be called nigga. But they are calling each other niggas.