Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Jag

Good time to buy?

25 posts in this topic

I'd be wary of any "used-but-still-good-as-new" video card offers since they were most likely used for crypto mining ... i.e., worked hard at full load for weeks on end.

14 hours ago, Jag said:

Not this specific card.  This is just tracking the trend.

Not like you to miss a trolling attempt.

As with all tech, i tend to live by the tenet of just buying the best you can when you want it and can afford it. There will always be something better or cheaper next week.

Boag likes this

So if someone was to decide to get a GPU now, what would you people recommend?

1 hour ago, Jazz said:

So if someone was to decide to get a GPU now, what would you people recommend?

GTX 1080ti ... Its performance is near top of the line, and the latest cards with raytracing capabilities (the new RTX line) don't appear to provide much more performance at a substantial cost increase.  The 1080ti (on paper) should increase preformance of the 980ti by 50%, and hits very near those marks in real world testing.

Jazz likes this

15 minutes ago, Elovia said:

GTX 1080ti ... Its performance is near top of the line, and the latest cards with raytracing capabilities (the new RTX line) don't appear to provide much more performance at a substantial cost increase.  The 1080ti (on paper) should increase preformance of the 980ti by 50%, and hits very near those marks in real world testing.

Hmm since I am currently running a 970 that would be quite the step up. Was wondering about the RTXs and where they fell in (whether they were a new overpriced range or the next generation come out already and they decided to skip 11 through 19).

The RTX line are the next generation nVidia graphics cards after the 10-series but with new raytracing and rendering technology.

Performance-wise, they're marginal improvement over the 10-series, and they're a lot pricier. The new rendering tech is seeing low adoption for now since it has just been introduced.  The 10-series are a couple years old tech but they can run most everything out there except for special subjects (i.e., the new tech introduced by the RTX line).

Remember when DX12 came out and there was/is low adoption in games?  Heck, many modern games still use DX9c, so I expect more of the same with the raytracing tech; adoption and need will increase over time, but in the meanwhile (unless you have a specific need now), the older hardware will still provide more than acceptable performance.

At risk of repeating myself from earlier ... If shopping for a 1080ti, buy from a trusted source, and be wary of used offers too good to be true.  A lot of crypto miners used these cards in their crypto farms and are dumping them in large quantities on the used hardware market as they want to recover some of their investment and then pursue the next greatest money making scheme.

Edited by Elovia

My take on it is not dissimilar to that already said - that you won't see the true power of RTX capabilities until games are developed to employ them properly.

Also, I had assumed that bitcoin value dropping had caused the turnaround in Gx card prices. Not the other way around. i.e. the value of bitcoin is not primarily determined by the speed at which transactions can be added to the blockchain. The feels like the cart being driven by the horse.

1 hour ago, Pasanda said:

I had assumed that bitcoin value dropping had caused the turnaround in Gx card prices. Not the other way around.

My take is that the value of bitcoin and other crypto currencies drove the demand for more graphics cards capable of crunching the numbers to get more bitcoin.  The graphic card prices were in reaction to supply/demand and were a capital investment to create more blockchain which in turn was converted to cash.  When the value of bitcoin crashed, the market became flooded with used cards as crypto miners unloaded in order to recover their investment.

So I think we agree. :)

I was kidding around ... because all to often, charts and data are presented as one causing the other.  Yet the real truth is a lot more convoluted .

Edited by Dunnar

2 hours ago, Elovia said:

So I think we agree. :)

How dare you! We won't tolerate that sort of language around here. 

On 11/5/2018 at 10:25 AM, Pasanda said:

Only if you want a shit graphics card.

I almost spit out my coffee

4 hours ago, Lasraik said:

I almost spit out my coffee

Tis nice to be appreciated. Send me the dry cleaning bill.

Hmm can't seem to find a decently priced 1080 Ti anywhere, are they not being sold new any more??!

IIRC the new series are offering a lower spec card that's faster than the 1080ti, or close, for a similar price. Something like a 2070ti I'll try and dig up what i read today.

Jazz likes this

Sorry it was 2080 vs 1080ti that i was looking at. From what i can see the 2070ti is not yet out. 

So the 1080ti is going for around £150 less than the 2080 (non ti) and froma cursory glance seems abotu 5-10% lower performance. So it's still bang-per-buck better value. But the argumetn goes, that as games are written to exploit RTX cards, they will further increase that gap.

If it was me, i'd be buying the 1080ti. Cause that's what i could afford, and i can wait for games to mature a couple of years.

Jazz likes this

Hmm yeah, I feel the same way. I'm actually considering whether a 1070ti may be better value and tide me over while waiting for the games to mature and sprout. Planning on getting a HTC Vive so already forking out quite a bit of money as it is and I can find a 1070ti for less than £400 (I thought they would have gotten a lot cheaper by now, the 970 didn't cost anywhere near this much...).

Having chosen the Rift, i'm interested to know what led you to choose the Vive, especially considering the not-tiny cost difference.

3 hours ago, Pasanda said:

Having chosen the Rift, i'm interested to know what led you to choose the Vive, especially considering the not-tiny cost difference.

I've had a go on the vive, found the whole experience amazing (thought VR was a gimmick before that) and part of it was being able to walk around the room, felt that it added so much more that I wouldn't want to do VR without the ability to move around. You can apparently get sensors for the Rift now but the Vive it feels more integrated into the experience, and I feel it is better supported by Valve and others. The cost difference I believe has also gone down, it's now 'only' (relatively speaking) £100 difference now as the Vive is going for £499 while the Rift is going for £399. And again, its the one I got to try out so I know what to expect which is probably the main factor.

What made you choose the Rift? interested in case it might change my mind as to which to get.

There may be more to it than this, but in that 399, you also get the awesome wireless xbox one controller. I already had two xbox 360 controller and the xbone one controller is another level of quality up, and is itself 40-50 quids worth.

Another one you might want to consider is the Acer Mixed Reality headset. Escpecially if affordability is an issue (which it doesn't sound like it is if you're thinking of the Vive). It's similar to both in terms of specs, has camera's on the headset to map the room etc. And retails for £199. We have both at work, and people who wear glasses like the Acer, as it has more space within the headset.

Jazz likes this

From what I have read, the Rift doesn't come with an xbox controller anymore. It does come with the wands apparently and a couple of sensors. 

Don't need to worry about glasses, had my eyes "Lazored" sometime ago. :P