Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JesGolbez

[UMA] Ultimate Masters

19 posts in this topic

No, not Uma Thurman (giggity), but … Ultimate Masters!!!  (really? Ultimate Masters? Who names these things? 12-year olds?)

https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/news/announcing-ultimate-masters-2018-11-05 

It seems that Ultimate Masters will be the last premium/Masters for some time. I wonder how they will get cards into eternal formats, otherwise...

------------------------

Release Date: December 7, 2018

• 254 Cards
  • 24 packs per box
  • 15-card booster packs, one premium foil per pack
  • One Ultimate Box Topper per box
  • MSRP*: $335.76 per box; $34.99 per 3-pack blisterpack (*MSRP applies to United States only)
  • Supplies are limited

-------------------------------------------------

Yup. WOTC heard all of the feedback about previous Masters sets being too expensive … and COMPLETLY IGNORED IT!

Womp womp.

Each box will have one of these amazing full-art/frame foilies, so the rich will get richer :P (the 'box-topper). Admittedly, they do look beautiful. 

en_0Aii2QN5ok.png.16c0f8300144b34d81e3f454d4e9482b.png

I really hope they don’t hold back and make the set full of actual value. Not just mythics, but rares, uncommons, and even commons. Draft? Meh, make it worth our damn while. They spoiled Kitchen Finks and Eternal Witness at uncommon, so it’s a start!

I might be able to draft this once, but I doubt I’ll be getting much of it.

Why raise the prices for this set instead of doing one more Masters set with the reprints everyone wants?  Squeezing out a few more bucks out of these sets before they go on the shelf?  

What's next?  Ultimate Super-duper Masters!  Or Super Ultimate Extreme Masters!

Even the eternal optimist (me) is kind of cringing at the MSRP.  I did some napkin math and I expect any store running drafts for this set are going to have to charge somewhere between $60 and $75 CDN per person; at the low end that's probably no prize support. :(

15 hours ago, MTGandME said:

Even the eternal optimist (me) is kind of cringing at the MSRP.  I did some napkin math and I expect any store running drafts for this set are going to have to charge somewhere between $60 and $75 CDN per person; at the low end that's probably no prize support. :(

Instead of spending $70ish dollars to draft this set, one could just buy the copy of the card they hope to pull in the set.  Because it's probably going to be another draft focused set, it will be full of draft chaff and cards to balance the drafting experience.  At least the singles you buy instead won't curl after a couple of weeks. :ph34r:

What makes it weirder for me, is this set is announced only a month before it's released and they keep pounding us over the head about it being a limited supply.  

WOTC is obviously going for a WHALE strategy. They know certainly people will pay big prices, and they can bank on them to spend whatever the packs cost. It's a shame, since it becomes purely about grabbing $ than just selling cards for people to play.

https://www.alistdaily.com/strategy/mobile-gaming-whales-fitting-new-descriptors/

Lasraik likes this

Here's the thing, when a set like this is printed, WOTC basically has 2 options:

1. Price the product so the MSRP is significantly below the EV of the packs. This is good for players because it ensures it lowers the price of Modern staples but hurts investors as it decreases the value of their stockpile.

2. Price the product so the MSRP is close to the EV of the packs. This is bad for players because it won't have a significant impact on secondary market prices but helps investors as it doesn't effect the value of their stockpiles.

WOTC has opted for option 2.

17 hours ago, Affinity for MTG said:

Here's the thing, when a set like this is printed, WOTC basically has 2 options:

1. Price the product so the MSRP is significantly below the EV of the packs. This is good for players because it ensures it lowers the price of Modern staples but hurts investors as it decreases the value of their stockpile.

2. Price the product so the MSRP is close to the EV of the packs. This is bad for players because it won't have a significant impact on secondary market prices but helps investors as it doesn't effect the value of their stockpiles.

WOTC has opted for option 2.

Thing is, the value of the last two Masters sets (more so the last one) isn't all that high.  There are a handful of cards worth >$20.  But considering the cost of each pack and the chance you have of pulling one of them, the odds aren't all that great.  

11-7-2018 8-40-06 AM.png11-7-2018 8-42-22 AM.png

I'm hoping they add in the Zendikar lands again to this set, but for almost $15 a pack?  That's a dollar a card... a card that will warp when you take it out of the pack.

On 11/6/2018 at 0:05 PM, Lasraik said:

Instead of spending $70ish dollars to draft this set, one could just buy the copy of the card they hope to pull in the set.  Because it's probably going to be another draft focused set, it will be full of draft chaff and cards to balance the drafting experience.  At least the singles you buy instead won't curl after a couple of weeks. :ph34r:

What makes it weirder for me, is this set is announced only a month before it's released and they keep pounding us over the head about it being a limited supply.  

Maybe.  But honestly, being able to draft dulls any sort of ache you get from not pulling those chase rares, at least up until about the $40 draft level.  I mean, paying $10 an hour to do something I really enjoy is in my mind worth it.  

20 hours ago, MTGandME said:

Maybe.  But honestly, being able to draft dulls any sort of ache you get from not pulling those chase rares, at least up until about the $40 draft level.  I mean, paying $10 an hour to do something I really enjoy is in my mind worth it.  

That's a fair point.

I don't enjoy drafting, I'm more into casual play and collecting.  So for players like myself, this set isn't all that exciting.

Well, a few cards have been spoiled today. A few decent rares, and a few dud rares that are worth a few bucks, but will drop to bulk status (Vexing Devil, etC)

What excites me is the new stuff for PAUPER

Besides reprinting Treasure Cruise and Gurmag Angler, we got some new additions

uma-225-fire.jpg.ab999e7240b4cc9e86168d25c7f58eb2.jpguma-144-reckless-wurm.jpg.b83a79ab75a8bb3ee35c44fd6a67da79.jpg

Fire // Ice is a flexible card for spell-based decks (Izzet Blitz, etc). Reckless Wurm from Rare to common? oooh, red/green madness might be a thing. 

uma-25-martyr-of-sands.jpg

Full set spoiled. Can’t see myself buying much of this at all…maybe 1 draft, if I am feeling dumb :P

https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/card-image-gallery/ultimate-masters-2018-11-19?a

Here are the downshifts to common, with new stuff for pauper.
Resurrection, Reckless Wurm, and Fire // Ice are definitely ones that could easily see pauper play now. Not sure if any of the others, unless Sparkspitter is part of a new madness deck. 

Lotus-Eye Mystics - From Uncommon (FRF) - New to Pauper
Mammoth Umbra - Fron Uncommon (ROE) - New to Pauper
Resurrection - From Uncommon (5ED) - New to Pauper
Skyspear Cavalry - From Uncommon (JOU) - New to Pauper
Tethmos High Priest - From Uncommon (JOU) - New to Pauper
Wandering Champion - From Uncommon (FRF) - New to Pauper
Moan of the Unhallowed - From Uncommon (INN) - New to Pauper
Offalsnout - From Uncommon (MOR) - New to Pauper
Slum Reaper - From Uncommon (BBD) - New to Pauper
Arena Athlete - From Uncommon (THS) - New to Pauper
Molten Birth - From Uncommon (M14) - New to Pauper
Reckless Wurm - From Uncommon (PLC) - New to Pauper
Sparkspitter - From Uncommon (FUT) - New to Pauper
Groundskeeper - From Uncommon (SOI) - New to Pauper
Miming Slime - From Uncommon (GTC) - New to Pauper
Canker Abomination - From Uncommon (EVE) - New to Pauper
Fire//Ice - From Uncommon (APC) - New to Pauper
Vessel of Endless Rest - From Uncommon (AVR) - New to Pauper

Affinity for MTG and Lasraik like this

Martyr of Sands... can do some pretty annoying stuff with it :wub:

7 hours ago, JesGolbez said:

Full set spoiled. Can’t see myself buying much of this at all…maybe 1 draft, if I am feeling dumb :P

https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/card-image-gallery/ultimate-masters-2018-11-19?a

Here are the downshifts to common, with new stuff for pauper.
Resurrection, Reckless Wurm, and Fire // Ice are definitely ones that could easily see pauper play now. Not sure if any of the others, unless Sparkspitter is part of a new madness deck. 

Lotus-Eye Mystics - From Uncommon (FRF) - New to Pauper
Mammoth Umbra - Fron Uncommon (ROE) - New to Pauper
Resurrection - From Uncommon (5ED) - New to Pauper
Skyspear Cavalry - From Uncommon (JOU) - New to Pauper
Tethmos High Priest - From Uncommon (JOU) - New to Pauper
Wandering Champion - From Uncommon (FRF) - New to Pauper
Moan of the Unhallowed - From Uncommon (INN) - New to Pauper
Offalsnout - From Uncommon (MOR) - New to Pauper
Slum Reaper - From Uncommon (BBD) - New to Pauper
Arena Athlete - From Uncommon (THS) - New to Pauper
Molten Birth - From Uncommon (M14) - New to Pauper
Reckless Wurm - From Uncommon (PLC) - New to Pauper
Sparkspitter - From Uncommon (FUT) - New to Pauper
Groundskeeper - From Uncommon (SOI) - New to Pauper
Miming Slime - From Uncommon (GTC) - New to Pauper
Canker Abomination - From Uncommon (EVE) - New to Pauper
Fire//Ice - From Uncommon (APC) - New to Pauper
Vessel of Endless Rest - From Uncommon (AVR) - New to Pauper

Meanwhile, I broke down.  I found folks to draft my Guilds of Ravnica Mythic Edition with, and used the money to buy a box. Lol.

I think drafting the set will be fun, and opening the box once will be fun.   Probably going to play a round of box sealed with a friend of mine. :)

JesGolbez likes this

The set has a ton of amazing stuff in it but at $14 per pack you are very rarely going to make your money back. Currently there are 14 out of 53 rares worth more than $14, so 73 percent of packs will be duds. You COULD open a $50+ mythic, sure, but on average you'll need to spend $112 before you even see a mythic, and then it's not guaranteed you'll open a chase mythic.And that's using the CURRENT prices, which are sure to drop as the product is opened.

Basically, this is just a high stakes, low payoff lottery at the current MSRP. The only way it's worth it is if you buy a box for the box topper, I definitely wouldn't waste money buying single packs.