Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JesGolbez

[UMA] Ultimate Masters

12 posts in this topic

No, not Uma Thurman (giggity), but … Ultimate Masters!!!  (really? Ultimate Masters? Who names these things? 12-year olds?)

https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/news/announcing-ultimate-masters-2018-11-05 

It seems that Ultimate Masters will be the last premium/Masters for some time. I wonder how they will get cards into eternal formats, otherwise...

------------------------

Release Date: December 7, 2018

 

  • 254 Cards
  • 24 packs per box
  • 15-card booster packs, one premium foil per pack
  • One Ultimate Box Topper per box
  • MSRP*: $335.76 per box; $34.99 per 3-pack blisterpack (*MSRP applies to United States only)
  • Supplies are limited

-------------------------------------------------

Yup. WOTC heard all of the feedback about previous Masters sets being too expensive … and COMPLETLY IGNORED IT!

Womp womp.

 

Each box will have one of these amazing full-art/frame foilies, so the rich will get richer :P (the 'box-topper). Admittedly, they do look beautiful. 

en_0Aii2QN5ok.png.16c0f8300144b34d81e3f454d4e9482b.png

I really hope they don’t hold back and make the set full of actual value. Not just mythics, but rares, uncommons, and even commons. Draft? Meh, make it worth our damn while. They spoiled Kitchen Finks and Eternal Witness at uncommon, so it’s a start!

 

I might be able to draft this once, but I doubt I’ll be getting much of it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Why raise the prices for this set instead of doing one more Masters set with the reprints everyone wants?  Squeezing out a few more bucks out of these sets before they go on the shelf?  

What's next?  Ultimate Super-duper Masters!  Or Super Ultimate Extreme Masters!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Even the eternal optimist (me) is kind of cringing at the MSRP.  I did some napkin math and I expect any store running drafts for this set are going to have to charge somewhere between $60 and $75 CDN per person; at the low end that's probably no prize support. :(

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, MTGandME said:

Even the eternal optimist (me) is kind of cringing at the MSRP.  I did some napkin math and I expect any store running drafts for this set are going to have to charge somewhere between $60 and $75 CDN per person; at the low end that's probably no prize support. :(

 

 

Instead of spending $70ish dollars to draft this set, one could just buy the copy of the card they hope to pull in the set.  Because it's probably going to be another draft focused set, it will be full of draft chaff and cards to balance the drafting experience.  At least the singles you buy instead won't curl after a couple of weeks. :ph34r:

What makes it weirder for me, is this set is announced only a month before it's released and they keep pounding us over the head about it being a limited supply.  

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

WOTC is obviously going for a WHALE strategy. They know certainly people will pay big prices, and they can bank on them to spend whatever the packs cost. It's a shame, since it becomes purely about grabbing $ than just selling cards for people to play.

 

https://www.alistdaily.com/strategy/mobile-gaming-whales-fitting-new-descriptors/

 

Lasraik likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here's the thing, when a set like this is printed, WOTC basically has 2 options:

1. Price the product so the MSRP is significantly below the EV of the packs. This is good for players because it ensures it lowers the price of Modern staples but hurts investors as it decreases the value of their stockpile.

2. Price the product so the MSRP is close to the EV of the packs. This is bad for players because it won't have a significant impact on secondary market prices but helps investors as it doesn't effect the value of their stockpiles.

WOTC has opted for option 2.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Affinity for MTG said:

Here's the thing, when a set like this is printed, WOTC basically has 2 options:

1. Price the product so the MSRP is significantly below the EV of the packs. This is good for players because it ensures it lowers the price of Modern staples but hurts investors as it decreases the value of their stockpile.

2. Price the product so the MSRP is close to the EV of the packs. This is bad for players because it won't have a significant impact on secondary market prices but helps investors as it doesn't effect the value of their stockpiles.

WOTC has opted for option 2.

Thing is, the value of the last two Masters sets (more so the last one) isn't all that high.  There are a handful of cards worth >$20.  But considering the cost of each pack and the chance you have of pulling one of them, the odds aren't all that great.  

11-7-2018 8-40-06 AM.png11-7-2018 8-42-22 AM.png

I'm hoping they add in the Zendikar lands again to this set, but for almost $15 a pack?  That's a dollar a card... a card that will warp when you take it out of the pack.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/6/2018 at 0:05 PM, Lasraik said:

Instead of spending $70ish dollars to draft this set, one could just buy the copy of the card they hope to pull in the set.  Because it's probably going to be another draft focused set, it will be full of draft chaff and cards to balance the drafting experience.  At least the singles you buy instead won't curl after a couple of weeks. :ph34r:

What makes it weirder for me, is this set is announced only a month before it's released and they keep pounding us over the head about it being a limited supply.  

 

 

Maybe.  But honestly, being able to draft dulls any sort of ache you get from not pulling those chase rares, at least up until about the $40 draft level.  I mean, paying $10 an hour to do something I really enjoy is in my mind worth it.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, MTGandME said:

Maybe.  But honestly, being able to draft dulls any sort of ache you get from not pulling those chase rares, at least up until about the $40 draft level.  I mean, paying $10 an hour to do something I really enjoy is in my mind worth it.  

That's a fair point.

I don't enjoy drafting, I'm more into casual play and collecting.  So for players like myself, this set isn't all that exciting.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0