Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Lasraik

MSNBC’s Joy Reid at Center of Free-Speech Legal Fight Over Retweets

6 posts in this topic

I think this is even more interesting as there is certain legal precedent regarding HIPPA law in the US.  Under HIPPA the punitive damage fines and potential lawsuit damages are gauged by the number of people who saw the information.  As this went viral, the number could be in the 10's of millions of people who were exposed.  MSNBC could also be liable for not verifying the information before reporting it via official accounts.

This lady gona be rich!

Also of note that this could set precedent for News agencies having to actually verify that information is true instead of the current paradigm of "It's better to be first thAn right".

That would shut this whole fake news thing right down!  I can't even imagine a world where we can trust media again. 

Edited by Jag
ChuckWagonMTG likes this

15 hours ago, Jag said:

I think this is even more interesting as there is certain legal precedent regarding HIPPA law in the US.  Under HIPPA the punitive damage fines and potential lawsuit damages are gauged by the number of people who saw the information.  As this went viral, the number could be in the 10's of millions of people who were exposed.  MSNBC could also be liable for not verifying the information before reporting it via official accounts.

This lady gona be rich!

Also of note that this could set precedent for News agencies having to actually verify that information is true instead of the current paradigm of "It's better to be first THAN right".

That would shut this whole fake news thing right down!  I can't even imagine a world where we can trust media again. 

Did you see that guy. He had a "Grammar Police" T-shirt on. Ran right by, he did. Only stopped to make one minor correction. Legend goes that he has a pet-hate for mis-used 'then' and 'than', prevalent in US edumacation.

Edited by Pasanda
Lasraik and Dunnar like this

/shrug

It works either way since a person can be first to divulge a story with wrong information and later correct their statement to then be right.

I see plenty of this occurring in modern news media, only the corrections are half-hidden/buried or stories are edited and changed after the fact with no mea culpa to indicate a change was made.

Sloppy and lazy journalists coupled with cutbacks on thorough (uncompromising) editorial staff reduce the overall quality of news journalism these days.  That is why we cannot trust the media.  Details matter.

Edited by Elovia
ChuckWagonMTG likes this

On ‎11‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 10:37 AM, Jag said:

This lady gona be rich!

Also of note that this could set precedent for News agencies having to actually verify that information is true instead of the current paradigm of "It's better to be first thAn right".

Problem is, what is a news agency?  People with a laptop in their kitchen that make YouTube videos or write a blog consider themselves to be a news agency.  Who is going to be held to that standard?  

ChuckWagonMTG likes this