Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Lasraik

Friday Top 5: What would you change about Ultimate Masters?

6 posts in this topic

What are the 5 things you would change about Ultimate Masters?

My 5:

1.) The MSRP.  $7 per pack, which was the MSRP of the original Modern Masters set (if I'm not mistaken)

2.) Not reprint jank rares.  

3.) Include fetch lands.  (they may be in this set, but I'm assuming they won't be)

4.) Opening the extra pack with a single card in it looks like it would be too easy to bend or damage the card.  Include a hard piece of cardboard with it so it's easier to open it... and while we're at it let's not make it transparent.

5.) Stop building these sets around drafting.  Focus more on reprints.  This may be an unpopular opinion, but IMHO we need reprints more than we need more sets to draft.  We already get Conspiracy, Un-Stable and so on.  Too many cards end up in the draft chaff pile.

What are yours?

AlbyMTG likes this

I agree with your choices, but we won't know how the set is built until it is spoiled. There is a small chance the set is chock full of goodies at all rarities, and WOTC didn't focus on drafting too much. With that MSRP, I could see them saying "This set isn't balanced for drafting, but go ahead and do it"

1. The FLGS markup is far too high. the MSRP of the box-topper is over $50, given the price of the blister packs at WalMart and the box at FLGS... If you want people to shop at FLGS, make the MSRP of the full box lower.

2. Fetchlands - I think the number crunch has ruled them out

3. Box-toppers: No whammies... too late, but a few of them are worth very little...imagine getting the Stirring Wildwoods while your friend gets Snapcaster?

4. If you want supply to increase, then the MSRP should be half of what it is... but that won't change

Lasraik likes this

I think I need to wait to see what's in the set, but speaking about masters sets in general:

1. Lower MSRP
2. Higher print runs
3. Heavier focus on printing cards that need reprints over trying to cultivate a draft experience. No one likes paying $35+ to draft anyway.
4. MORE STAPLES! Lightning Bolt, Thoughtseize, Path to Exile, stuff like this!
5. Full-art lands. No really, that's what I would change. It would be a huge selling point if these contained full-art lands that were only available with specific Masters sets, and then never reprinted again.

22 hours ago, Affinity for MTG said:

I think I need to wait to see what's in the set, but speaking about masters sets in general:

1. Lower MSRP
2. Higher print runs
3. Heavier focus on printing cards that need reprints over trying to cultivate a draft experience. No one likes paying $35+ to draft anyway.
4. MORE STAPLES! Lightning Bolt, Thoughtseize, Path to Exile, stuff like this!
5. Full-art lands. No really, that's what I would change. It would be a huge selling point if these contained full-art lands that were only available with specific Masters sets, and then never reprinted again.

You know, I didn't even think of full art lands.  Make a Unstable type full art land with a chance of getting a foil, that would make this set more attractive.

5. The reprinting of the 3 original Eldrazi titans again. The only one people use is Emrakul and she is a strong independent Eldrazi who doesn't need Ulamog and Kozilek to get reprinted with her every time she does. That opens up 2 additional mythic slots then that could have been filled with significantly more desirable mythics.

4. Include additional box topper packs for stores to use as prizes in the Ultimate Masters release drafts in the same way that would do Standard Showdown packs. It gives players at least 1 chance to get a box topper without needing to file for bankruptcy.

3. If they truly wanted to go out with a bang for the last Masters set, they could have made it a community thing. It would have been a great opportunity to connect with their core audience. For example, they know going into the designing of this set that'll be the last one, so why not have the community help create it. You, the player, get to send Wotc a list of 5 Mythics, 15 Rares, and 25 commons/uncommons you'd like to see reprinted in Ultimate Masters. The top 10 player selected mythics, top 30 player selected rares, and top 50 player selected commons/uncommons make it into the set.  Wotc still gets to choose well over half of the cards that make it into the final set, but the community also feels like they've had a big say in it as well.

2. Allow stores to get the wanted (or at very least needed) amount of product. The distributor already told my boss that we can only get 1 case. Maybe 2 if there's extras. Even for a smaller LGS like us, 6 boxes is not enough. We're going to sell out of that within the first week or two. 

1. Minimal jank. Everyone loves jank except for when it's in their Masters pack. So make the set less of a lottery ticket and more about guaranteed value.

13 hours ago, AlbyMTG said:

5. The reprinting of the 3 original Eldrazi titans again. The only one people use is Emrakul and she is a strong independent Eldrazi who doesn't need Ulamog and Kozilek to get reprinted with her every time she does. That opens up 2 additional mythic slots then that could have been filled with significantly more desirable mythics.

EDH is a well-played format, that has recently been a strong dictator of prices. Kozilek and Ulamog are $37 and $26 respectively, that can be slotted into any EDH deck, or add a nice money card to a trade binder. I don't think any one will be mad at packing one of these.

My top 5 is basically the same as everyone else:

5. Lower Price: I think this goes back to all Masters sets, if all the others were ~$7 a pack, and this big fancy one was $12 then it might be acceptable.
4. Larger print run: My LGS doesn't even think they'll be able to sell loose packs, they might only be bringing in enough to fill box pre-orders.
3. No booster box toppers. I think its a dumb idea that just make the rich get richer.
2. Stick to original rarities for Money rares and mythics. I think Mythics should be allotted to Planeswalkers and Legendaries for this set. Tarmogoyf and Snapcaster could have been rares. This would have allowed Mox Opal a slot.
1. CARDS PEOPLE ACTUALLY PLAY. If you want to make this draft able, add that shit to the commons: Signets, Guild Lands, whatever, but them at common. Uncommons should be PLAYED pricey cards: Finks, Path, Bolt, Eternal Witness, Inquisition, Manamorphose, Serum Visions, Ironworks, etc.

If this is their goodbye to masters sets, then it better fucking look like one.

JesGolbez likes this