Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Affinity for MTG

White Aggro dominates Pro Tour Guilds of Ravnica

4 posts in this topic

You can see the top 8 decks here: https://magic.wizards.com/en/events/coverage/ptgrn/top-8-decklists-2018-11-10

Of the 8 decks, 6 of them were basically mono-white aggro with red splashes, using the same core of small white aggressive creatures to close out games as quickly as possible.

I think this is positive for the format. The deck is extremely fast, but there are a ton of viable answers in the format right now and I doubt it'll warp the format in any way. Unfortunately the best answers for R/W Aggro are in Red and White - such as Deafening Clarion, so that's a bit of a problem, but black has Ritual of Soot and green should be able to stabilize on the board with bigger creatures.  I think it's fine, even if it looks disproportional with 6-out-of-8 decks making top 8 at the pro tour.

It also just so happens to be pretty close to the deck I built in paper when the format first rotated, so I'm tooting my own horn over that. :P
(My deck: http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/boros-aggro-kinda-fnm/)

Lasraik likes this

2 hours ago, Affinity for MTG said:

You can see the top 8 decks here: https://magic.wizards.com/en/events/coverage/ptgrn/top-8-decklists-2018-11-10

Of the 8 decks, 6 of them were basically mono-white aggro with red splashes, using the same core of small white aggressive creatures to close out games as quickly as possible.

I think this is positive for the format. The deck is extremely fast, but there are a ton of viable answers in the format right now and I doubt it'll warp the format in any way. Unfortunately the best answers for R/W Aggro are in Red and White - such as Deafening Clarion, so that's a bit of a problem, but black has Ritual of Soot and green should be able to stabilize on the board with bigger creatures.  I think it's fine, even if it looks disproportional with 6-out-of-8 decks making top 8 at the pro tour.

It also just so happens to be pretty close to the deck I built in paper when the format first rotated, so I'm tooting my own horn over that. :P
(My deck: http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/boros-aggro-kinda-fnm/)

Pretty sweet decks, haven't been keeping up with the last few sets but these cards have me excited.  

IIRC it's pretty common for aggro decks to dominate until the format settles down a little, but these decks look super fast.

Affinity for MTG likes this

2 hours ago, Lasraik said:

IIRC it's pretty common for aggro decks to dominate until the format settles down a little, but these decks look super fast.

It's funny that you say that, because I rambled about that a lot during my Penny Dreadful series. :P

I agree though, Aggro always wins out when control decks don't know what to plan against. Technically the format is over a month old now though...but then, it's also the first time the pros have had a crack at the format on a large stage, so who knows? Either way, I definitely think pushing the pro tour back from the initial rotation was a good idea. We've had a month of muddled, unclear results and this just further complicates things. Maybe Ravnica is just a great Standard format, but I think delaying the Pro Tour has a positive influence on how the metagame develops. :)

The format is actually diverse and Standard actually seems worth watching now. The Top 8 is a bit skewed by Limited records, as well, but the white weenie deck was a good call. What I like is that, apart from the History of Benalia, the deck is not that expensive to put together.

A shame the final game of the finals was decided on a mull to 4 :(