Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Lasraik

Tribal Tournament Help

40 posts in this topic

My playgroup is having a tribal deck tournament next month.  I've been going back and fourth with what tribe to use.  I want something that's either going to turn every game into a grind out control win or something hyper aggressive.

I've been thinking of Merfolk, Rats or Eldrazi.  Not every card has to be the tribe, but the theme of the deck has to be.   I have enough Eldrazi cards that I would probably make a black Eldrazi deck happen, and I have quite a few Vampires too so that's another option.

I thought about Elves but they don't really fit into my strategy.   The meta for my group isn't anything too crazy, since we're all mostly casual weekend warriors.

Any suggestions?

Movious likes this

Relentless Rats and have a few other Rat related/support creatures.  Thinking Rats because they are cheap and I'm sure they can go fast with the right setup.  I'm sure we'll be seeing Goblins for the tournament, which will end up being a fast army of 1/1's.

And black has a lot of removal, which will probably be important 

Merfolk, Elves or Goblins would have my vote for aggressive decks that can win on turn 4 or 5 consistently.  If it's a 1v1 ladder, I'd personally play Merfolk.

Lasraik likes this

Merfolk, Elves or Goblins would have my vote for aggressive decks that can win on turn 4 or 5 consistently.  If it's a 1v1 ladder, I'd personally play Merfolk.

Yeah it's 1v1.  Merfolk crossed my mind.  I have a few Merfolk cards that I might be able to make work.  I usually don't play mono blue so it would be fun to try.  Looking over some common Merfolk builds now

Oh that's not a bad idea. I have some good Merfolk laying around I think...Damn it time to break out the boxes of cards.

Oh that's not a bad idea. I have some good Merfolk laying around I think...Damn it time to break out the boxes of cards.

It's getting closer.  I thought I had my strategy figured out but what I wanted to do wouldn't jive with the tribal theme so I had to scrap it and start over.  <_<

The biggest tribal theme of Merfolk is lords.  Play a lot of the Merfolk that give +1/+1 and sometimes other effects to each other Merfolk.  They get really big, really quickly and often soon become unblockable due to islandwalk.

Will have to do some digging this weekend and order what I need before the next couple weeks

http://sales.starcitygames.com//deckdatabase/displaydeck.php?DeckID=89950#content_decks_modern-tab

This is more or less what I run for modern, but -2 dismember -1 master of waves, +2 vapor snag +1 cavern in the main and a slightly different sideboard which varies each tournament based on the expected meta.  I usually carry a few boxes of playables to build a board on the spot after some casual scouting.

Lasraik likes this

Very nice list.  I have several of those cards.  Except for Aether Vials, I've always regretted selling those off.

OK looking or advice.  I'm building a deck that doesn't include blue.  But since this is a tribal tournament I'm thinking of splashing blue just for counter spells, maybe draw spells and these two cards:  [cards]Peer Pressure[/cards] and [cards]Artificial Evolution[/cards]

Is it worth splashing blue, a color I otherwise wouldn't need for my creature strategy for these two?

Another concern I have is I'm guessing I'll see an [cards]Eye of Singularity[/cards] and that could seriously eff up my day.  Looking for spells in black that would prevent that, since I'm not adding blue I need something to counter or destroy it instant speed.  

Looking online and through my collection but can you think of anything?

Black on its own doesn't have effective enchantment removal.  To get around that, you would want to splash white or green.  You could also load up on discard spells, such as Duress and Thoughtseize to prevent them from being cast in the first place.

Another concern I have is I'm guessing I'll see an [cards]Eye of Singularity[/cards] and that could seriously eff up my day.  Looking for spells in black that would prevent that, since I'm not adding blue I need something to counter or destroy it instant speed.  

Looking online and through my collection but can you think of anything?

Have both of those, not sure if I'm doing 3 or 4 of those 

Just made a few more tweaks.  Took out some removal and added more creatures.  Thinking of having less land, in play testing I was flooded.

Lands:

[cards]Swamp[/cards] x20

Creatures: 

[cards]Relentless Rats[/cards] x6

[cards]Typhoid Rats[/cards] x4

[cards]Ravenous Rats[/cards] x4

[cards]Drainpipe Vermin[/cards] x3

[cards]Ogre Slumlord[/cards] x3

[cards]Pack Rat[/cards] x1

[cards]Scrib Nibblers[/cards] x1

Spells:

[cards]Bile Blight[/cards] x2

[cards]Pharika's Cure[/cards] x2

[cards]Victim of Night [/cards]x2

[cards]Murder[/cards] x2

[cards]Duress[/cards] x2

[cards]Distress[/cards] x2

[cards]Doom Blade[/cards] x2

[cards]Devour in Shadow[/cards] x1

[cards]Mind Rot[/cards] x1

[cards]Pulse of the Dross[/cards] x1

Thinking of adding Pestilence Rats, but get the feeling I need a finisher.  After removal and hand disruption I'll be depending on the 1/1 and 2/2's to finish off my opponent.  Added Bile Blight cause I'm expecting lots of 1/1 and 2/2 tokens being generated.

Feedback apprecaited

Most rat decks use Pack Rat, Relentless Rats or Coat of Arms to seal the game.  Rogue's Passage to make a big rat lord unblockable might help. (card link broken)  If you find it in time, Marrow-gnawer and the rest of the Pack Rat set would be amazing in that role as well.  It might feel like you're flooding now, but you're just experiencing some favorable variance.  It'll come back around and you'll get stuck on two lands soon.  (Stating a fact, not wishing poor draws on you.)  In my previous Pack Rat decks, I ran 24-26 lands so I would curve out easily almost every game and start to use the extra lands to make rat tokens, letting me keep more of my spells to fit between token activations.  YMMV.

Lasraik likes this

Thought about [cards]Coat of Arms[/cards] but that would benefit everyone else since we're all playing tribes.  [cards]Rouge's Passage[/cards] might work, too.  Looking for some Marrow-Gnawers as well.  Was thinking with Ogre Slumlord I could start pumping out rats when non-tokens die.

Ordered 3 more Rat Packs

A little concerned, I think I'm going to see Affinity and I don't have much (if at all) artifact removal.  

A little concerned, I think I'm going to see Affinity and I don't have much (if at all) artifact removal.  

Affinity = Construct tribal? Come on, that's not really in the spirit of a tribal tournament. There should be a rule that your tribal cards include a non-creature spell or something- not sure off the top of my head how many tribes have had non-creature cards printed though

Well a form of affinity at least.  An artifact creature card type and support. 

Need to add 3 [cards]Marrow-Gnawer[/cards] and 3 more [cards]Pack Rat[/cards] to this list.  Debating on what 6 to cut.  Thinking of cutting Relentless Rats totally out and adding these 6 cards in, even swap.  Also thinking of adding a [cards]Dark Ritual[/cards] or two for mana acceleration.  Thoughts?

Lands:

[cards]Swamp[/cards] x20

Creatures: 

[cards]Relentless Rats[/cards] x6

[cards]Typhoid Rats[/cards] x4

[cards]Ravenous Rats[/cards] x4

[cards]Drainpipe Vermin[/cards] x3

[cards]Ogre Slumlord[/cards] x3

[cards]Pack Rat[/cards] x1

[cards]Scrib Nibblers[/cards] x1

Spells:

[cards]Bile Blight[/cards] x2

[cards]Pharika's Cure[/cards] x2

[cards]Victim of Night [/cards]x2

[cards]Murder[/cards] x2

[cards]Duress[/cards] x2

[cards]Distress[/cards] x2

[cards]Doom Blade[/cards] x2

[cards]Devour in Shadow[/cards] x1

[cards]Mind Rot[/cards] x1

[cards]Pulse of the Dross[/cards] x1

You might want Flaying Tendrils or another cheap, small board wipe spell in the sideboard if the other decks are likely going to be a lot of small creatures.  Scrib Nibblers, Mind Rot and Victim of Night could be Dark Rituals and Go for the Throat.  Devour in Shadow could be Vendetta if you wanted something even cheaper.

Lasraik likes this