Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Jeanpaul

Shout out to Pet Lovers out there!

19 posts in this topic

Hi guys, I'm just wondering if anyone here is a pet lover, well if you are like me maybe you can share about your pets on how their welfare is, what they do, their breed or what you do for them. :) I got my pet this richell which is a modern pet gate. Our dog at home, Artie, is 16 years old. He is a lazy old pooch with poor eyesight and a soft spot for his favorite chew toy. Because of his weak joints and achy bones, we don't allow Artie to go to the upstairs bedrooms anymore, especially when no one is around to watch him. A fall down the stairs or a misstep needs to be avoided for a dog that is his age, so we took the time to install a quality pet gate which is richell to keep him downstairs away from injury.

Pasanda likes this

I like animals, I respect animals, I enjoy other peoples pets.  However, I don't understand the allure.  I see no reason to invest 10k in something that is going to shit and shed all over the place.  I won't ever have a dog.  We have an outdoor cat, we had a second one, but stuff happens in the woods. 

I do, or did agree with Jag for most of my life. It's hard for me to put this intelligently, but in my own words...

- worrying/caring/considering about the health and welfare of another animal is good for me. I don't believe in a soul, but if i did, I would say it was good for my soul. We are/I am selfish creatures and animals can take away some of that selfishness, in the same way as children can. Loving another thing is no bad thing.

- Some animals can come across as very affectionate. Our last dog, a chocolate labrador was motivated to do things for us to please us. She was a real pleaser. I didn't realise how much until we got our current dog.

I have about 20 fish - Goldfish, Golden Orfe, Sarasa Comet, and a couple of frogs.

Current pooch is actually a Wookie in disguise.

2018-11-11 18.14.38.jpg

JesGolbez likes this

3 dogs: a female boxer named Eko, a shitzu named Nash and our newest addition, a Pug named Hurley.

4 hours ago, Lasraik said:

3 dogs: a female boxer named Eko, a shitzu named Nash and our newest addition, a Pug named Hurley.

My lad loves Pugs (it's a DanTDM thing). If you have a picture, could you post it some time Las?

On 11/20/2018 at 0:12 PM, Jag said:

I like animals, I respect animals, I enjoy other peoples pets.  However, I don't understand the allure.  I see no reason to invest 10k in something that is going to shit and shed all over the place.  I won't ever have a dog.  We have an outdoor cat, we had a second one, but stuff happens in the woods. 

I couldn't disagree with you more.  I have had a pet most of my life and they are part of the family.  Nothing will ever give you the unconditional love quite like a pet does.

I have a cat.  I am a dog guy, but Bubbles is a very cool cat.  He follows me around like a dog and likes to play with water, so much so that we have to leave our toilet seats down.

I was looking through a bunch of my favorite author's quotes today, something I like to do from time to time, and came across this gem.  I thought it fit the thread.

“Later, when Ged thought back upon that night, he knew that had none touched him when he lay thus spirit-lost, had none called him back in some way, he might have been lost for good. It was only the dumb instinctive wisdom of the beast who licks his hurt companion to comfort him, and yet in that wisdom Ged saw something akin to his own power, something that went as deep as wizardry. From that time forth he believed that the wise man is one who never sets himself apart from other living things, whether they have speech or not, and in later years he strove long to learn what can be learned, in silence, from the eyes of animals, the flight of birds, the great slow gestures of trees.”
Ursula K. Le Guin, A Wizard of Earthsea

2 hours ago, Jag said:

I was looking through a bunch of my favorite author's quotes today, something I like to do from time to time, and came across this gem.  I thought it fit the thread.

“Later, when Ged thought back upon that night, he knew that had none touched him when he lay thus spirit-lost, had none called him back in some way, he might have been lost for good. It was only the dumb instinctive wisdom of the beast who licks his hurt companion to comfort him, and yet in that wisdom Ged saw something akin to his own power, something that went as deep as wizardry. From that time forth he believed that the wise man is one who never sets himself apart from other living things, whether they have speech or not, and in later years he strove long to learn what can be learned, in silence, from the eyes of animals, the flight of birds, the great slow gestures of trees.”
Ursula K. Le Guin, A Wizard of Earthsea

That was really odd.

Although i understood it, it took some time and few re-reads to understand it. Similarly, i'd heard of UKLG throughout my teenage and adult life, and often thought i was missing out by never having read her work.

After reading that now, i never want to read anything by her. What a pretentious piece of crap. 

Soz.

Your comment confuses me.  Explain!

Ged was one of the most powerful wizards to ever live.  As a young boy, he was frustrated by the 1st wizard to teach him because Ogion the Silent spent so much time in silence observing and seeking to understand the world.    This is Ged understanding that one should never set themselves above or apart from all life.

I don't understand your take.  I thought it must be sarcasm, but there was no hint of humor.

On 28/11/2018 at 3:38 PM, Jag said:

Your comment confuses me.  Explain!

Ged was one of the most powerful wizards to ever live.  As a young boy, he was frustrated by the 1st wizard to teach him because Ogion the Silent spent so much time in silence observing and seeking to understand the world.    This is Ged understanding that one should never set themselves above or apart from all life.

I don't understand your take.  I thought it must be sarcasm, but there was no hint of humor.

The fact you had to translate it into digestible English should explain everything I have to say. I work with Academics every day and am sooo  unimpressed by their inability to speak plain English, and their belief that making English harder to understand is somehow a big or clever thing.

The art or a book should be in painting beautiful pictures, accessibly, in words, not constructing complex/arty sentences for the sake of it.

An English language thesis, sure. Poetry, sure. But i'm not reading either of those, am i.

EDIT - You could just read all that as jealousy that you're smarter.

Edited by Pasanda

I suppose that is a problem with many book excerpts.   If I had never read LoTR I suppose the part about "You bow to no one" would not make much sense to me either.   

9 hours ago, Pasanda said:

I work with Academics every day and am sooo  unimpressed by their inability to speak plain English, and their belief that making English harder to understand is somehow a big or clever thing.

Conversely, I work with a bunch of engineers who, as smart as they are, they are a cultural sub-entity that have barely passable written communication proficiency.  Technical reports tend to under utilize the flowery language arts.  So I find it the rare treat to come across colorful and imaginative writing that mentally stretches one's understanding of vocabulary and meaning.  That just goes to show there are at least two sides to every coin (i.e., the two known ones plus the flat or knurled surface along the circumference - just to be precise).

But I agree with you that the Ursula K. Le Guin  passage above is a little over the top style-wise.

Edited by Elovia
Pasanda and Jag like this

There are certainly two sides.

also, how dull would the world be if we all liked the same shit.

Edited by Pasanda
Jag and Elovia like this

Awww look at the two of you liking each other's posts and being all agreeable. :P

Jag likes this

4 hours ago, Jazz said:

Awww look at the two of you liking each other's posts and being all agreeable. :P

YOU know the truth of it.

Oops. Did i write that out loud?

Jazz likes this

12 hours ago, Pasanda said:

YOU know the truth of it.

Oops. Did i write that out loud?

Don't worry, everyone here knew anyway. ;)