Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
MTGMTB

MTGMTB's Quest for Weight Loss!

23 posts in this topic

Well, guys, it's official. I need to lose about 40-70 pounds. 

Let me preface this by saying, I am NOT a very active person anymore. After finishing my MTB season last year, I kinda fell into the gutter. I got fat n such. All that delicious stuff. 

I tried to do it again this summer, but with work, and me injuring my back, I didn't have much time or motivation to go and work out. But I just got home from the doctor's and he said I need to drop about 40 pounds to be back in a healthy BMI. He suggests a low carb diet and a lot more exercise. Any tips or tricks? I would really appreciate it!

ChuckWagonMTG and Lasraik like this

Good luck with that. I went from 320 lbs to 195 back in 2000-2001. I am back at 225 now, but I exercise regularly enough. (I am 6'5", for reference)

It takes will power, but it can be done with a very basic changes

1. Cut out liquid calories. Sodas, juices...these are insidious and will easily add calories to your daily count. Learn to love water and/or tea/coffee.

2. Muscle burns calories. Even doing the basic lifts (deadlift, etc) will help the metabolism over time. Back injuries make it tough, but try to find exercises you can do...even push-ups from home during commercial breaks. 

3. It is hard to re-start a routine, but once you get into it, it becomes easier to stick with it. 

Lasraik, ChuckWagonMTG and MTGMTB like this

I dropped 70 lbs in the early 2000's doing Atkins; took me about 6 months and kept the weight of for several years.

Fast forward to March 2018; tipping the scales at 255 I decided it was time to drop.  Since I was familiar with Atkins, I decided to try Keto.  Been doing lazy Keto ever since and I've peeled about 70lbs again (around 185 right now).  Honestly, I think calories in/diet is far more important than exercise for weight loss; exercise for health is fine. Jes makes a great #1 suggestion either way; totally empty calories.

Whatever you do, find something you can stick with :)

ChuckWagonMTG and MTGMTB like this

No sugar, no carbs.  ketogenic works.

Other than that, every diet out there is the same damn thing, all that matters is compliance.  Get yourself a calorie deficit and stick with it.  Make it your new religion, not a temporary "diet" and time will get you where you want to be.

ChuckWagonMTG, MTGMTB and MTGandME like this

Here's what I did and it worked really well.  Dropped 16 pounds last year and managed to keep it off.

Like someone else said, cut out the pop and all sugary drinks.  Drink a shit ton of water.  All day, every day.  If you are like me and hate water, buy some lemon juice or lime juice and drop a dash in your cup.

My diet went as follows, Sunday through Thursday, eat whatever you want between 11am and 7pm.  If you are hungry outside that time, drink water.  Or in the morning, drink coffee ... black.  You eventually get used to it.  I didn't restrict what I ate, I watched a little bit and tried to make healthier choices.  Stuff like instead of ranch dressing, use Italian.  Little things here and there.  But I found I ate less and was fine.  It forced me to cut out snacks and forced me to drink more water if I was hungry.

If you can, go swimming.  I have back issues myself, but nothing feels better on it than being in the pool.  I first got in the pool about 1.5 years ago.  I could swim, but not very well, it was more of a controlled splashing.  My first time, I had to stop half way through the first lap.  Ended up doing 6 laps my first time.  I got some goggles and eventually learned how to swim by watching everyone else.  My last time out, I swam a mile in under an hour.

Other than that, mix it up otherwise you will get bored and quit.  I still try to hit the pool and elliptical every week.  Sometimes I hit the bike and I do weights.

Good luck!

48 minutes ago, Dunnar said:

Here's what I did and it worked really well.  Dropped 16 pounds last year and managed to keep it off.

Like someone else said, cut out the pop and all sugary drinks.  Drink a shit ton of water.  All day, every day.  If you are like me and hate water, buy some lemon juice or lime juice and drop a dash in your cup.

My diet went as follows, Sunday through Thursday, eat whatever you want between 11am and 7pm.  If you are hungry outside that time, drink water.  Or in the morning, drink coffee ... black.  You eventually get used to it.  I didn't restrict what I ate, I watched a little bit and tried to make healthier choices.  Stuff like instead of ranch dressing, use Italian.  Little things here and there.  But I found I ate less and was fine.  It forced me to cut out snacks and forced me to drink more water if I was hungry.

If you can, go swimming.  I have back issues myself, but nothing feels better on it than being in the pool.  I first got in the pool about 1.5 years ago.  I could swim, but not very well, it was more of a controlled splashing.  My first time, I had to stop half way through the first lap.  Ended up doing 6 laps my first time.  I got some goggles and eventually learned how to swim by watching everyone else.  My last time out, I swam a mile in under an hour.

Other than that, mix it up otherwise you will get bored and quit.  I still try to hit the pool and elliptical every week.  Sometimes I hit the bike and I do weights.

Good luck!

I have actually taken up swimming myself recently, been trying to go just before work though have failed the last few days. What stroke do you use? I mainly been doing the breaststroke as I just can't seem to manage the free style one for some reason. I second the use of goggles too, just makes it more fun if you get a set you can look underwater with.

15 minutes ago, Jazz said:

I have actually taken up swimming myself recently, been trying to go just before work though have failed the last few days. What stroke do you use? I mainly been doing the breaststroke as I just can't seem to manage the free style one for some reason. I second the use of goggles too, just makes it more fun if you get a set you can look underwater with.

Freestyle stroke.  It took me a while, lots of breathing in water, stopping midway through a lap.  Watch others, look at youtube,just keep trying.  You'll eventually get it.

Biggest tip ... dont breath out so much when you exhale under water.  You don't need a full breath every stroke.

Edited by Dunnar
Jazz likes this

28 minutes ago, Dunnar said:

Freestyle stroke.  It took me a while, lots of breathing in water, stopping midway through a lap.  Watch others, look at youtube,just keep trying.  You'll eventually get it.

Biggest tip ... dont breath out so much when you exhale under water.  You don't need a full breath every stroke.

Breathing out underwater... for some reason I forgot you could do that! :D Probably explains why I could never get a full breath in as I was too busy breathing out!

Top tips from another fatty trying to lose weight. Most of it is common sense.

Tip no. 1.

Whatever you do, it must be sustainable. If you go back to what you were eating, drinking and moving before, you will go back to the weight and shape you were before. If you want to attain and maintain a shape and size, your change has to be forever. Don't see it as a diet; see it as a permanent change in lifestyle.

Tip no. 2.

There is no magic bullet, or secret recipe. It's all simply calories in and energy out. If you are overweight, the balance of those two is out, and needs to be re-balanced.

Tip no. 3

Avoid impact exercise, like running. Especially if you are overweight, old, or both. If you're going to keep it up, think of your joints. I write from very recent experience.

So, if you want to move from 200lb to 150lb, you will need to either:

a) move from 16000 calories per week, to 14000 per week, or 

b.) Move from expending 10,000 kjoules of energy per week, to 20,000 kjoules of energy per week.

c) any mixture of a & b. 

All those figures were made up - just for illustrative purposes.

For me, simply not drinking alcohol in the week is saving me over 3000 calories a week. I was basically drinking the equivalent calories of 1.5 extra days food per week. So without any extra exercise i'm losing weight through less alcohol.

Drinking 4 bottles of cider a night was weighing in at 5600 extra calories every 5 days. It's evil stuff.

Of course, exercise is more than just weight loss. It's muscle mass, metabolism, heart health and mental health too. 

16 minutes ago, Pasanda said:

Tip no. 3

Avoid impact exercise, like running. Especially if you are overweight, old, or both. If you're going to keep it up, think of your joints. I write from very recent experience.

Any thoughts on kiteboarding?  I hear it is pretty good exercise.  Would you consider that low or high impact?

Dunnar, Pasanda and Elovia like this

Another suggestion ... don't buy anything tempting.

If there is a bag of chips in the house, I will eat them.  If we have candy, I will eat that candy.  Its much easier saying no at the grocery store, or telling the wife do not buy chips.

5 hours ago, Jag said:

Any thoughts on kiteboarding?  I hear it is pretty good exercise.  Would you consider that low or high impact?

Fuck you, Fuck-ass.

As a sport, it's low impact. As a casualty, it's very high impact.

Very funny though.

Edited by Pasanda
Lasraik, Jag, Elovia and 1 other like this

MAn, seeing all of your stories gives this fat guy some hope. I've been needing to drop some pounds for a bit. As in half of my body weight. I'm a big dude at 6' and 380lbs. In my younger days, I was always husky, but I was fit. Then, after my accident, it all went down hill. But seeing that so many of you have struggled with the same and came out on top is inspiring. Thank you all for sharing.

On 27/11/2018 at 11:19 PM, ChuckWagonMTG said:

MAn, seeing all of your stories gives this fat guy some hope. I've been needing to drop some pounds for a bit. As in half of my body weight. I'm a big dude at 6' and 380lbs. In my younger days, I was always husky, but I was fit. Then, after my accident, it all went down hill. But seeing that so many of you have struggled with the same and came out on top is inspiring. Thank you all for sharing.

You are on a website for gamers... :) 

ChuckWagonMTG likes this

16 hours ago, Pasanda said:

You are on a website for gamers... :) 

Hey! What are you implying about gamers??! I find that offensive, I'm not fat I'm big boned!

I work on a corridor with about 30 other IT Professionals. Overall, i'd say we're not too much over the national average, but we probably are over (unless the average has gone up, which wouldn't surprise me). We do have a few really large people - like 25 stone plus (350lb, 160kg). IT Infrastructure guys are definitely the fittest, with a small number of exceptions, and i have one guy starting there soon, who is going to ruin their average. Of the disciplines here, i'd say Developers were in the worse shape. That's the route i came through my career, and can confirm that there's nothing better than sitting on my jacksie for 16 hours a day, with occasional breaks for pee, port and pie.

I'm 5'9.5" (the .5 is important when one is a hobbit), that's 176cm, and i weigh 104kg (230lb). which is classed as obese.

Edited by Pasanda

7 hours ago, Pasanda said:

I work on a corridor with about 30 other IT Professionals. Overall, i'd say we're not too much over the national average, but we probably are over (unless the average has gone up, which wouldn't surprise me). We do have a few really large people - like 25 stone plus (350lb, 160kg). IT Infrastructure guys are definitely the fittest, with a small number of exceptions, and i have one guy starting there soon, who is going to ruin their average. Of the disciplines here, i'd say Developers were in the worse shape. That's the route i came through my career, and can confirm that there's nothing better than sitting on my jacksie for 16 hours a day, with occasional breaks for pee, port and pie.

I'm 5'9.5" (the .5 is important when one is a hobbit), that's 176cm, and i weigh 104kg (230lb). which is classed as obese.

I say I'm 5'10, but I have a horrible feeling I may be closer to 9...

I was 5'-10" once ... maybe twice ... dunno.  Doc tells me I'm now 5'-9", but I haven't asked to see if her measure stick is calibrated. [insert, "mine's 12-inches, but I don't use it as a rule" joke ... har har]

I don't really care as long as I'm tall enough for the rides at the theme park. In another 10 years, I won't care even that much. And I'm sure I'll be shorter then. [insert Seinfeld clip on shrinkage]

2 hours ago, Elovia said:

I was 5'-10" once ... maybe twice ... dunno.  Doc tells me I'm now 5'-9", but I haven't asked to see if her measure stick is calibrated. [insert, "mine's 12-inches, but I don't use it as a rule" joke ... har har]

I don't really care as long as I'm tall enough for the rides at the theme park. In another 10 years, I won't care even that much. And I'm sure I'll be shorter then. [insert Seinfeld clip on shrinkage]

You anywhere near that earthquake?  Hope all is well.

4 hours ago, Jazz said:

I say I'm 5'10, but I have a horrible feeling I may be closer to 9...

Clearly twins in a former life. 

'Cept, you're obviously the handsome one.

Jazz likes this

5 hours ago, Dunnar said:

You anywhere near that earthquake?  Hope all is well.

350+ miles away ... but we felt it, so does that count as being near it?  @Molimo is much closer, and we're hoping all is well with him.  Damage photos I've seen (mostly internal agency images of roadway issues) have been impressive.  Reminds not to underestimate the power of Mother Nature.

From the Anchorage Daily News ... (hint: that is not a collapsed bridge)

3TMBGJIY3FB4XD3GHCAK2J7CK4.jpg

Edited by Elovia
Dunnar likes this

12 hours ago, Pasanda said:

Clearly twins in a former life. 

'Cept, you're obviously the handsome one.

Well, obviously! :P

9 hours ago, Elovia said:

350+ miles away ... but we felt it, so does that count as being near it?  @Molimo is much closer, and we're hoping all is well with him.  Damage photos I've seen (mostly internal agency images of roadway issues) have been impressive.  Reminds not to underestimate the power of Mother Nature.

From the Anchorage Daily News ... (hint: that is not a collapsed bridge)

3TMBGJIY3FB4XD3GHCAK2J7CK4.jpg

Holy crap! I thought that was like a cgi scene from a film at first!

A quick update: I've started on Keto. So far, going well. Thank you guys for all your suggestions!