Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Lasraik

What made you get into content creation?

5 posts in this topic

Content creation takes lots of patience, skills and time.  What made all of you get start creating content?  What keeps you motivated to put in that time and effort?

I think I've talked about this before, but I started creating content simply because I download a package of editing software, which included a screen recorder. You can download screen recorders for free, of course, but I never really needed one. However, after having one sitting on my desktop for awhile, I randomly decided to turn it on while playing MTGO, just to see how it worked. I didn't record audio or anything, I was literally just recording my screen.

Anyway, afterwards I watched the video and thought, "Hey, I could probably commentate my games while playing them and then post it on Youtube, why not!?" And so it began...

I had no idea how much time I would spend editing. Currently I dedicate the vast majority of my free time to editing videos, typically 3-4 hours straight at night when I get home, which results in 2 videos per week that get 30-40 view each. :P I'm not even sure what keeps me motivated at this point. I've stopped doing the things I used to do in my free time (like play video games and read books) to edit, and yet there really isn't a point to it. It's never going to be profitable, Magic: the Gathering content doesn't have the audience to pull in a large-enough crowd for that to ever be a realistic possibility, and yet I still do it anyway!

I suppose reading books and playing video games didn't result in profit either. So, it really is just a hobby, like any other hobby. I'm only doing it because I enjoy doing it, plain and simple!

Lasraik, JesGolbez and AlbyMTG like this

A guy at the local game store told me he had a youtube channel so I checked it out and thought to myself, hey I can do that!

So I did.   I'll admit, my interest is waning in the creating content realm, but I do get excited about a new idea once in a while. :)

I had previously made Call of Duty YouTube videos when I played competitive COD.  After switching spending all of my time on COD to all of my time on Magic, I decided to create a new channel based on Magic. My initial goal was to get more subs on my MTG channel than on my old COD one.  The old COD one had just over 220 and my MTG channel now has just over 2260, so I've achieved my goal! I think my love for this game is what keeps me motivated the most. This game has pretty much become my life at this point, but I'm having a ton of fun with it, so all is good!

I did a bit of writing for a long defunct website (casual Magic focused), but anytime I think about doing a podcast or stream, I realize that my old potato PC can't do much and how much work is involved. Recording is one thing, but editing, uploading, etc? Oh, man.... 

Lasraik likes this

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0