Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Jag

Mid Life Crisis?

5 posts in this topic

Humans are curious creatures.

My entire life I have had goals and a real sense of progression.  School/athletics, promotions/commissions at work, school again.  I have always seemed to thrive when there was a clear goal that required sacrifice or effort.  I grew up in a pretty rough household and had to figure a lot of things out for myself.  Now here I am, having achieved more than I thought possible.  Happy and close family, financial comfort, great job, comfortable housing, and so on.  In short, life is pretty damn good.

However, now I am looking at 25 years of the same thing until retirement.  I enjoy my job a lot, but there isn't going to be any promotion or change.  I only work 9 to 530 Monday through Friday, and aside from chasing kids around, I have a lot of free time.  I game, I fish, I enjoy music.  I feel like I have everything I wanted, and I am bored to death.  I don't have that sense of progression I have always had, so something feels missing.

Maybe I need a new hobby, but it is hard to find the prime time blocks to pursue it without missing out on important family time.  The adventure and risk are gone.  I can't think of a single thing to complain about, so why shouldn't I just feel completely content with life?  I am starting to think, that without some form of misery in my life, I don't have anything to define how great it is.

Perhaps a return to athletics in some form?

Ideas thoughts?  Thanks for reading my ramblings.

Edited by Jag

Oddly, i share most of what you wrote (aside from the love of sport), until you got to the bit about being bored. I long for boredom. There are not enough hours in the day or days in the week to do all the things i want to do. I have a good decade of things to do lined up if i ever stop working. I've started lots of those things, but can only touch the tip of them with a family and life to live.

So, and with roughly the same levels of achievement in life, why i am struggling for the time to do all the things i want, and you are bored shitless?

I'd always suspected that my poor upbringing stopped me from ever taking these privileges for granted. But it sounds like you had a rough time too. Does rough = poor?

Jag likes this

rough = abusive

We were not wealthy, but that never mattered much.

I think I have a bit of post-graduate depression.  HAHAHAhahah......

Most of what I want to do involves significant time investments and steer towards developing talents rather than experiencing experiences.  For instance, I don't really want to travel because it isn't sustainable. 

Pretty sure I just need to get back to the gym or maybe start coaching again.

I know what you mean.  I was always searching for something better.  

Not sure what happened, but I have grown to realize that I have it pretty good.  My life has become fulfilling. I have wonderful kids, great wife, my career is awesome and I have a massive number of friends.  I am very blessed. 

I have found that I get enormous satisfaction by spending time with friends, being a dad, and travel.  I have this incredible desire to see and experience new places.  It started with a trip to Yellowstone and has grown from there.  Unfortunately, I have been to a few funerals in the past few years,  Usually during the eulogy you will hear common themes ... everyone talks about family, friends, and usually trips.

I know you don't want to travel, but it sounds like you need fulfillment.  Knowing you, its probably not going to be material.  Maybe volunteer?  Maybe you need to do something outside your comfort zone.

3 hours ago, Jag said:

rough = abusive

I can relate.  I consider that my greatest achievement ... ending the cycle of violence.

Jag likes this