Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Pasanda

What are your plans for Christmas?

13 posts in this topic

...regardless of whether your beliefs allow you to celebrate the festival.

Edited by Pasanda

My plans? To crush my enemies! To see them driven before me! And to hear the lamentation of their women!

Or to just spend it with my family, one or the other.

Wife's family at my house for Christmas eve.  Over to my moms on Christmas day.

I have off work from the 20th to the end of the year, so hopefully I can unwind and get away from work.  Next year is going to be one of the more eventful at my office in quite some time.  Lots of reorgs and stuff.  My job should be safe, but you never know.  I know personally, I am due for a big change in roles.

So it was supposed to be us 3, my Wife's Mum and her Uncle, but MIL has decided not to come over this year. So whilst they are a pleasure to have here, it will be nice to have 2 less to worry about. 

I also go on leave from the 20th. It's our office party from lunchtime on the 20th, I have taken a few extra days and don't return until the 7th. It's been a tough term and i'm really looking forward to the break.

For the first time in my adult life, we aren't doing a damned thing. The days leading up to Christmas will be filled with parties and family gatherings, but we decided that Christmas day will be spent watching the Christmas day service from our church's live stream, then watching movies and playing games all day. We even tracked down what restaurants that deliver will be open that day, so no cooking as well. It's going to be beautiful!

Jazz likes this

My boys are in the Church play on the night of the 24th.  Then over to my brother's house Christmas day for lunch.  Rest of that week at home playing with the boys.

We host Christmas Eve every year, so that. And then, I'm getting my tonsils out on the 26th. 

So the MIL and and her Uncle DID come over in the end,and it was a fine day.

Some neighbours had a party the night before xmas eve.

Other neighbours had a party on Christmas eve. They have something they call a crack-off where neighbours bring over a roast pork joint and compete for best crackling. I make 2 gallons of hot port, which gets me off the hook with the pork.

Other neighbours had a party on the 28th, to say goodbye to another neighbour, who is moving on. We ended up round another neighbours house doing flaming sambucas and gymnastics until 02:30am. I made them all breakfast the next morning. We also found ourselves pouring over 150 year old maps of the neighbourhood, which was fascinating.

We've been invited out tomorrow night for a curry with all the neighbours, but have just turned it down, as i'm fucking wasted.

We have an amazing bunch of neighbours.

2018-12-29 00.31.39-1.jpg

Dunnar and Jazz like this

On 12/30/2018 at 5:15 PM, Pasanda said:

So the MIL and and her Uncle DID come over in the end,and it was a fine day.

Some neighbours had a party the night before xmas eve.

Other neighbours had a party on Christmas eve. They have something they call a crack-off where neighbours bring over a roast pork joint and compete for best crackling. I make 2 gallons of hot port, which gets me off the hook with the pork.

Other neighbours had a party on the 28th, to say goodbye to another neighbour, who is moving on. We ended up round another neighbours house doing flaming sambucas and gymnastics until 02:30am. I made them all breakfast the next morning. We also found ourselves pouring over 150 year old maps of the neighbourhood, which was fascinating.

We've been invited out tomorrow night for a curry with all the neighbours, but have just turned it down, as i'm fucking wasted.

We have an amazing bunch of neighbours.

That is very cool.

We have a similar setup.  We have met a bunch of families within our city through friendships our kids have made and have become very close.  Plus I am very blessed to have a lot of friends/family that I do things with over the years.

I had almost 2 weeks off from work and had something going on dam near every night.

Hosted the wifes family for Christmas eve.  Neighbors and friends came over and it ended up being a late night.  Went to my mom's on Christmas day. 

My dad's side of the family had their first get together in a few years.  That is always interesting due to numerous reasons.

Met some friends out for the College playoff games.  Went to another friends New Years eve.  Had our annual guy's night out last Thursday.  Got together with some other friends last Wednesday to continue our Risk Legacy game.  We had our friends Christmas dinner outing as well.

I'll have to research flaming sambucas.

My liver needs a break and my fat ass needs to go to the gym.

8 hours ago, Dunnar said:

That is always interesting due to numerous reasons.

That line piqued my interest. Anything you feel like sharing?

5 minutes ago, Pasanda said:

That line piqued my interest. Anything you feel like sharing?

I am trying to make a long story short ... Its my dad's side of the family.  I haven't spoken to my biological father since 97.  My wife and children have never met him.

I didn't talk to his side of the family for about a 10 year period.  I reconnected with them about 8 years ago ... shortly after they quit speaking to my dad.  So if you are scoring at home, nobody talks to my dad.

There's lots of stories around that.  I still have a lot of unanswered questions myself.  I have chosen to make them a part of my life, but honestly, I give minimal effort.

Some of them lead ... interesting ... lives.  Not that there is anything wrong with any of that, nor does it make me better or anything like that ... its just very different.  I am trying to delicately word this. :)

For instance ... my cousin's house is probably one of the dirtiest places I have ever set foot in.  My wife won't go anymore.  And she doesn't really work.  Regardless of what she thinks, trying to sell tupperware to friends/relatives is not work.  I will not eat anything made in her kitchen.

One of my other cousins is a senior in high school.  She has changed her name to Evan and now its back to Ashley.  She has several tattoos, tried to play football and brought her girlfriend to our Christmas gathering.  Again, to each his/her own, but ...

Her mom is in her early 50's and has moved from place to place to place to place.  None of the places were the Taj Mahal.  None of them were cleaned while she lived there and some were the size of my garage.  Not judging, but playing drums in the park must not pay well.

Some of them smoke and you have to hold your breath when you go in for a hug.  I strongly believe my cousin has flea bites all over her.  Some of the personal hygiene resembles their house keeping skills.  Half of them have never been to a dentist.

My one cousin ... not the sharpest knife in the drawer ... will tell stories that nobody else ever remembers.

For the most part, they are nice people.  It is my family.  Its always interesting.  I have to force my kids to go and there's about a 20% chance my wife will come.

That is great. I read it out to my wife.

I am not too proud to admit i have probably share some of those life qualities for some of my history, coming from a poor background with different values and standards. And i smoked for 30 years.

If faced with them now, i'm sure my reactions would not be dissimilar to yours. But as you seem to illustrate indirectly, our value as human beings is not defined by our income level.