Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Elovia

Holiday Treats

5 posts in this topic

Certainly not in an attempt to derail MTGMTB's quest for weight loss (you go big guy - said Mr. Pot to Mr. Kettle) ... but ...

Are there any special holiday treats that you look forward to having around the holidays?  Something that you don't have or get any other time of year.  It could be cookies, candy, sweets or savory ... doesn't have to be food ... anything?

My wife makes a special type of cookie for me this time of year only.  The recipe has been handed down for generations from my Mother's side of the family, and she used to make them every year around Christmas - and my Grandmother before her, and her mother before her, etc.  My mom has since passed on (bless her), and now my wife carries on the tradition.  That is double extra special meaningful to me.  Since I only get these cookies once a year, and the recipe makes a sizeable batch, I usually take a tray of them into work with me to share with my co-workers.  The tray is usually demolished soon enough, and we have to wait another whole year for the next batch.

How about you?

Edited by Elovia

Not specifically, but my wife makes Christmas cake, no special recipe; just what looks good. She made it in November, then we feed it with alcohol every week until Christmas. 

We only have Christmas pudding after Christmas day lunch. Not sure if you guys have it over the pond. https://www.bbc.com/food/recipes/traditional_christmas_38771

Aside from that, my absolute favourite food is Christmas Dinner Bubble and Squeak. you basically chop up all the leftovers, ensuring there is bacon, potatoes and some green leaf (usually Brussel sprouts) in the mix. Then fry it until it's really brown. you essentially get a mouthtfull of the whole Christmas dinner in every bite. you can also add stuff like Worcestershire sauce, and you yanks would probably put cheese on it.

I would not be offended if rejected, but could you share that cookie recipe please?

16 hours ago, Pasanda said:

I would not be offended if rejected, but could you share that cookie recipe please?

Will do.  I'll need to dig it out and transcribe it.  I'll post it in the recipes thread when I do.  Which reminds me that I was going to give a go toward making that potato and leek soup recipe you posted. I bought a leek and everything ... didn't just take a leek, I paid for it.  *ba-dum-tish*  Thank you, thank you.  I'll be here all week ... don't forget to tip your waitresses ...

Edited by Elovia

On 15/12/2018 at 2:18 AM, Elovia said:

Will do.  I'll need to dig it out and transcribe it.  I'll post it in the recipes thread when I do.  Which reminds me that I was going to give a go toward making that potato and leek soup recipe you posted. I bought a leek and everything ... didn't just take a leek, I paid for it.  *ba-dum-tish*  Thank you, thank you.  I'll be here all week ... don't forget to tip your waitresses ...

Thanks for doing that.