Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Elovia

Epic Games Store Freebies

2 posts in this topic

Thought I'd start this thread to keep track of Epic Games' new store and the freebies they're offering to get people to sign up.  Hey, free is free.  Sign up is quick and painless provided you don't have a common user name that has already been taken (most of mine have, dammit); if you do have a common name, an invisible fist from under your desk punches you in the crotch.  Nah ... just kidding.  Or am I?  o.O

They're in it to give Steam a run for their money.  Downside is you have to use their launcher to download, install and launch the games ... as opposed to GoG where you download the installers and can save them as archives to your library.  So internet connection is required as far as I can tell.

Now until December 27, they're offering Subnautica for free.  I've been messing around with it and it is kind of a fun survival-explorer-builder game (in that order).  Plenty of nice visual underwater scenery, including caves and *minor spoiler* islands.  You are not the dominant species on this world.  And there seems to be a half-decent story attached to the underwater sandbox.  Lots of spoilers on the internet if you hate discovering things for yourself.  The world is semi-static ... meaning it  has minor variation from one play through to the next, but most of the major plot devices are in regular locations.  This title will probably be a buy for me if it ever makes it to the GoG store.

Edited by Elovia
Jag likes this

I played Subnautica for several days when i got the Rift. It's one of few that are very well executed in VR. The experience is very immersive. It was a beta release and very buggy however. I got stuck in geometry underwater and in a perpetual deathloop. I gave up and didn't go back, although my lad watched a youtube gamer play it through and it did look very good.