Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Elovia

Did ya get any new cool toys?

11 posts in this topic

Did ya, did ya?  Inquiring minds want to know.

I got the same thing as last year ... naked pics of Jazz's mum.  :huh::D

Edited by Elovia
Jazz likes this

On 12/25/2018 at 9:43 PM, Elovia said:

Did ya, did ya?  Inquiring minds want to know.

I got the same thing as last year ... naked pics of Jazz's mum.  :huh::D

Low hanging fruit dude! But don't worry, your wife makes it up to me.

Elovia likes this

Lots of whiskey this year.  I spent way too much money and bought myself a new mountain bike.

Elovia likes this

Santa brought the Logitech G903 mouse with accompanying Logitech PowerPlay wireless charging mouse pad I'd asked for.   It works as advertised.  Will have to see if it's durability is a poor as critical reviews state.  Logitech's quality control has severely gone downhill in the past few years, but they put out a metric shit-tonne of stuff.  My G700 lasted a good number of years before the left-click button started to go out.  I can only hope they'll keep the PowerPlay tech alive in their product line and create future mice that will be compatible.

Other than that, I got a few month's worth of snacks:  soda, candy, and nuts.

Edited by Elovia

I got 2 vouchers for weekends to myself from my wife, and a pack 20 bottles of differing chili sauce from my Mum, which i gave away as i already have more than could use in one lifetime.

My lad got an Anki Vector as his main gift, and my wife got a Oneplus 6.

On 12/28/2018 at 11:35 AM, Elovia said:

Santa brought the Logitech G903 mouse with accompanying Logitech PowerPlay wireless charging mouse pad I'd asked for.   It works as advertised.  Will have to see if it's durability is a poor as critical reviews state.  Logitech's quality control has severely gone downhill in the past few years, but they put out a metric shit-tonne of stuff.  My G700 lasted a good number of years before the left-click button started to go out.  I can only hope they'll keep the PowerPlay tech alive in their product line and create future mice that will be compatible.

Other than that, I got a few month's worth of snacks:  soda, candy, and nuts.

Sorry for quoting myself, but I wanted to comment back here on how the PowerPlay is working out.

In short, it does what is advertised.  But that isn't the whole story.  I've been using this setup for a month or so, and in recent days, the outer edge of my right hand (I use my right to control the mouse) and my little finger have begun to ache.  It isn't a sharp pain, but more like a dull, deep pain - especially when I bear a load on that hand (e.g., leaning).  I've tried to wriggle the bones to see if it is a joint issue (arthritis is not out of the question at my age) and poked/massaged deep tissue to see if it is either a muscle or connecting tissue problem.  Nothing definitive.

Being somewhat scientifically inclined, I figured I'd eliminate some variables.  What most recently changed in my environment?  The mouse and pad. So, I set the PowerPlay wireless charging mouse pad off to the side and continued to use the new G903 mouse with an old cloth mouse pad.  Obviously the mouse won't get charged running this way, but I figured I'd see if the EMF from the pad was causing my pain.  I'm not a doctor so this is for my own amusement.

I'm happy and/or sad to report that the pain in my hand has diminished considerably since I stopped using the PowerPlay pad as a mouse pad.  I still put the mouse on the PowerPlay pad when I'm not actively using the computer but it is turned on for other reasons; that way the mouse batteries get recharged wirelessly.

I haven't been able to determine from literature how many Gauss the surface emits.  I'm sure it isn't something Logitech is willing to divulge.  I did, however, find recommendations for maximum exposure to EMF and wireless charging specifically.  The value is very, very low (i.e., "none is perfect" according to the literature).

So I don't think I would recommend this product to anyone.  My issues may or may not be tied to the PowerPlay pad and the close proximity of the hand to the EMF emitters, but I'm skeptical enough to suspect they might be.  I'll give myself another week without using the wireless charger as a mouse pad and see if the pains in my hand go away altogether.  If not, I may head down to the doc to see if they can point to another cause.

YMMV

Edited by Elovia
Pasanda likes this

Fascinating.

As a scientist, you should now repeat the experiment on yourself, as it appears no lasting harm was caused and you are aware of the symptoms to look for. Heck, do it half a dozen times and write a paper on it. Publish it. Get paid millions by Logitech to refute/take down your own findings, Then offer me 50% for having the idea in the first place.

You are old and I still wouldn't rule out arthritis.  Other values are in play, like temperature and humidity.

On 12/28/2018 at 11:30 AM, Dunnar said:

Did well in fantasy football this year ... I think I am going to treat myself to a new PC :D

Since we are quoting ourselves ...

I thought long and hard about getting a new PC.  I ultimately determined I really didn't need a new one.

So I went in another direction and treated myself to something I have long had my eye on ... a sauna

So far so good ... its basically part of my shower routine.  Nice and relaxing.  I have only had it for 2 weeks so I will wait to see how I feel and if I notice any long term changes.

Pasanda likes this

Could you not just get a way with a new GPU. I did mine last year and it's given me another couple of years. My 4th gen i7 is probably the weak link in my current rig, but it's still playing nicely on WQHD and max all, with stuff like Shadow of the Tomb Raider (not half as bad as i was led to believe BTW).