Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Lasraik

casual
Fun ideas for Assemble the Legion

5 posts in this topic

This card was played during our new year games and I guess I never really paid much attention to it, but I think it could lead to some fun.

Annotation 2019-01-02 095607.jpg

The problem is getting to 5 to cast it, but after it's on the battlefield there's some fun possibilities.  First thing that came to my mind is something like Energy Chamber

Annotation 2019-01-02 100113.jpg

Thinking of going with a Boros soldier/soldier token strategy.  Any ideas for this deck that will be played mostly in casual multiplayer?

Energy Chamber doesn't combo with Assemble. It only works with artifacts and only with the listed counter types. Assemble can be good in a controlling shell, after you sweep your opponents' creatures, it comes down to gum up the board and threatens to take over the game if unanswered. It's also decent in replacement effect tokens with Divine Visitation style cards, churning out an army of Angels instead of 1/1s.

Lasraik likes this

Assemble the Legion is something that I keep wanting to try to build around, but it's SOOO bad. :P  I think the only way to make it work is to get value out of the tokens as they enter the battlefield, something like Impact Tremors, but ideally something that can kill your opponent's creature. Maybe just giving them deathtouch somehow would work. You just REALLY need a way to protect yourself for a few turns after you play it. Prison might be an option as well, anything to look down your opponent long enough for the card to build up counters.

Lasraik likes this

On ‎1‎/‎3‎/‎2019 at 4:38 AM, Molimo said:

Energy Chamber doesn't combo with Assemble. It only works with artifacts and only with the listed counter types. Assemble can be good in a controlling shell, after you sweep your opponents' creatures, it comes down to gum up the board and threatens to take over the game if unanswered. It's also decent in replacement effect tokens with Divine Visitation style cards, churning out an army of Angels instead of 1/1s.

Crap, you're right.  I misread Energy Chamber.  Got a little ahead of myself there.

18 hours ago, Affinity for MTG said:

Assemble the Legion is something that I keep wanting to try to build around, but it's SOOO bad. :P  I think the only way to make it work is to get value out of the tokens as they enter the battlefield, something like Impact Tremors, but ideally something that can kill your opponent's creature. Maybe just giving them deathtouch somehow would work. You just REALLY need a way to protect yourself for a few turns after you play it. Prison might be an option as well, anything to look down your opponent long enough for the card to build up counters.

But isn't it being so bad what's fun about it?  :D Impact Tremors is a great idea.  But as you mentioned, I need something to protect myself while it generates tokens.

You can play mardu and run Death Match so your Legion tokens help clear your opponents' board.