Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Affinity for MTG

People want to play Arena...at FNM

6 posts in this topic

There was an interesting conversation at my LGS tonight at FNM and I thought I'd share it here.

We were playing Standard, but as is often the case there was a lot of chatter about Arena. One of the players brought up the idea of hosting an "Arena" FNM, where people could bring in their laptops and play Arena, with entry fees and prizes. The idea would be to use the same matchmaking system as regular events, but when people got matched up they'd Direct Challenge each other on Arena, play their match, and then report the results...just like any paper event.

Clearly there is an issue with sideboarding between games, that's something that will need to be figured out. Possibly writing down and registering sideboards before the event.

The owner didn't want to commit to it because I think he was unsure about WPN rules, certainly it would be a no-no for an official FNM. He said he'd contact WOTC though, and if he gets the all-clear, people could very well be playing unofficial (unsanctioned) Arena events at my LGS, complete with entry fees and prize packs.

The prevailing logic among the people that were talking about it was "I have tier 1 decks on Arena, but I can't afford to spend $400+ on paper decks." As is so often the case, people are driven away from the game due to the price of cards, but Arena fixes that for so many people.

So what do you guys think? Would you go to an FNM to play Arena events? Is this the future of Magic? I mean, MTGO has been around for more than a decade, but enthusiasm for Arena is off the charts.

JesGolbez and Lasraik like this

Interesting.

I wouldn't go to an FNM to play Arena, I play Magic to get away from staring at a screen.  But I can see why some people would want to, considering the price of Standard.  I hope this isn't the future of Magic.

I would much prefer to play paper magic at an LGS as well, however, I'm one of the ones that is priced out of the game. I lose games to my mana bases all the time, something that is less of an issue online since I have all the Shock and Checklands I need for my standard deck. Modern is even worse, I can't afford to dump $1,000 into a modern deck and, if Modern ever comes to Arena, I could probably use wildcards to get an okay deck together fairly quickly, and then have a REAL deck instead of the budget deck I use to get my ass kicked with every time I play modern in paper.

@Affinity for MTG You may be able to play paper Arena in the near future. It seems WOTC Is testing out the best-of-1 format drafts in a few stores, and may roll it out to more stores. The idea is that you draft as normal, but play more rounds, all best-of-1. While WOTC claims that best-of-1 won't replace best-of-3 at competitive levels, I could see stores opting to try this faster-paced format. 

Honestly, I think your store could get away with it if they do it on the down low and report results properly.

2 hours ago, JesGolbez said:

@Affinity for MTG You may be able to play paper Arena in the near future. It seems WOTC Is testing out the best-of-1 format drafts in a few stores, and may roll it out to more stores. The idea is that you draft as normal, but play more rounds, all best-of-1. While WOTC claims that best-of-1 won't replace best-of-3 at competitive levels, I could see stores opting to try this faster-paced format. 

Honestly, I think your store could get away with it if they do it on the down low and report results properly.

The problem with that is it still COSTS the same as a regular draft. People want to play their Arena decks, but with the best-of-3 format of FNM, because Arena is cheaper and Bo3 is superior. :P

I'm sure they could. They could also totally just do an off-the-record event and it wouldn't matter at all. But the store owner is super chill and not likely to do anything shady.

On 1/12/2019 at 6:43 AM, Affinity for MTG said:

I would much prefer to play paper magic at an LGS as well, however, I'm one of the ones that is priced out of the game. I lose games to my mana bases all the time, something that is less of an issue online since I have all the Shock and Checklands I need for my standard deck. Modern is even worse, I can't afford to dump $1,000 into a modern deck and, if Modern ever comes to Arena, I could probably use wildcards to get an okay deck together fairly quickly, and then have a REAL deck instead of the budget deck I use to get my ass kicked with every time I play modern in paper.

I can relate, but if Arena is played at FNM for Standard (and eventually Modern and/or Legacy) would it change the way we're able to get those expensive cards?  Wizards could setup an online store to sell digital copies of cards and cut out the LGS

JesGolbez likes this