Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Pasanda

Gaming pute gremlins

14 posts in this topic

My gaming rig is starting to play up. It's an Asus Z97-K mobo with 16Gb or DDR3 running at 1600mhz, with an I7 4770k. It's just coming up on 4 years old, so pretty decent to still play todays games at ultra on a 3440x1440. But that could be the GTX 1080 upgrade about 6 months ago :).

For the past month, every time i boot it up, it sits on the Post screen, with the press Del and F2 for BIOS message showing, and it's frozen. If i hit the reset button, it starts again, gets to POST, passes it and works fine. But this behaviour is 100% consistent. I upgraded the 3 year old BIOS today, which has made no difference. 

Any thoughts? I'm tempted to either:

1. Live with it, but believing that it could be the start of something more sinister.

2. Use it as an excuse to build a new rig (based around the 1080).

3. Strip it and rebuild it, hoping that something's wiggled loose.

Can you think of anything else?

Try memtest to see if your memory modules might be aging out.

I tend to troubleshoot from the least expensive to the most expensive options.  If you haven't cleaned it out recently, now would be a good time to do so and check if everything is still snug and tight.  Consider cleaning and reapplying thermal paste for those items that need it, since that too can age.

With luck, you might get an unintended ESD which makes justifying the cost of a new setup easier. :)

9 hours ago, Elovia said:

Try memtest to see if your memory modules might be aging out.

I tend to troubleshoot from the least expensive to the most expensive options.  If you haven't cleaned it out recently, now would be a good time to do so and check if everything is still snug and tight.  Consider cleaning and reapplying thermal paste for those items that need it, since that too can age.

With luck, you might get an unintended ESD which makes justifying the cost of a new setup easier. :)

Thanks.

I'm kinda heading towards benching it too. What i failed to mention is that i'm also getting a windows error related to something connected via USB. I've also still got connected the Rift USB cable that's been chewed to bits by the pup. So something might be shorting out. My gaming nest is so tiny, that I can't face digging the rig out, but i think I need to do as you say and just re-seat stuff. But i will also try memtest.

I think a tiny part of me wants to throw in the towel and build a new one. But it performs so darned well.

3 hours ago, Pasanda said:

Thanks.

I'm kinda heading towards benching it too. What i failed to mention is that i'm also getting a windows error related to something connected via USB. I've also still got connected the Rift USB cable that's been chewed to bits by the pup. So something might be shorting out. My gaming nest is so tiny, that I can't face digging the rig out, but i think I need to do as you say and just re-seat stuff. But i will also try memtest.

I think a tiny part of me wants to throw in the towel and build a new one. But it performs so darned well.

One weird thing I found with my older computer was that if I had anything plugged into the front USB ports then the computer would seem to suddenly cut out, I'd be left with a blank screen, no sound, no activity, but the computer still running and I'd have to restart the computer. If I knocked the USB cables this would happen too. As long as nothing was plugged into the front ports then it was all fine.

Pasanda likes this

Consider disconnecting all USB and non-essential peripherals to see if the boot problem goes away.

Just a thought ...

Pasanda likes this

21 hours ago, Jazz said:

One weird thing I found with my older computer was that if I had anything plugged into the front USB ports then the computer would seem to suddenly cut out, I'd be left with a blank screen, no sound, no activity, but the computer still running and I'd have to restart the computer. If I knocked the USB cables this would happen too. As long as nothing was plugged into the front ports then it was all fine.

In your case, the PC simply didn't like you.

55 minutes ago, Pasanda said:

I'm pretty sure anything with electronics in doesn't like me. And people, but the feeling is mutual there.

Pasanda likes this

On 1/15/2019 at 0:30 AM, Pasanda said:

On 1/15/2019 at 1:29 AM, Jazz said:

I'm pretty sure anything with electronics in doesn't like me. And people, but the feeling is mutual there.

Don't anthropomorphise computers and electronic devices.  They really hate that.

:D

Edited by Elovia

1 hour ago, Elovia said:

anthropomorphise

Trying to win the award for the biggest word used on this site?

Well, if it wasn't for the psilicovulcanocaniosis, we would all be so full of floccihaunicillipilification it wouldn't really matter.

Then again, if i had gone to taumatawhakatangihangakoauauotamateaturipukakapikimaungahoronukupokaiwhenuakitanatahu, i would have known better.

3 hours ago, Dunnar said:

Trying to win the award for the biggest word used on this site?

Nothin' wrong wit a good, five-silly-bull werd in da mornin'.  It's guud fer da Ed-u-ma-ca-shun. :D

Edited by Elovia

3 hours ago, Elovia said:

Nothin' wrong wit a good, five-silly-bull werd in da mornin'.  It's guud fer da Ed-u-ma-ca-shun. :D

True story... Last week, we had some unusual weather in my town. Warm January day and a cold front moved in. It generated a tornado about a mile from my house. Some of my fellow townspeople recorded it:

So i'm moving the study from the old box room into our spare room, which is 3 times the size. I had to unplug everything and put it back together, and the BIOS freeze problem has disappeared. I blame the chewed up Rift cable. 

Cheers for the advice all. It worked.