Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Lasraik

The future of paper Magic?

5 posts in this topic

What are your thoughts on the future of paper Magic?  Is Wizards trying to push everyone towards Arena, or is digital just another way to enjoy the game?  

I think WOTC definitely wants as many people playing Arena (or Magic Online) as possible, as the profit margins are so much higher. With that said, MTGO didn't kill paper Magic, and I doubt Magic Arena will either. Certainly it's a million times better, but the grindiness of it will probably ensure there will always be paper players.

I've already gotten a little bored with Arena. I don't have any interest in dumping money into the platform and this has led me to be unable to build the decks I want. The system just isn't flexible for budget players, and I've felt pigeon-holed into the one deck I've built because spending my precious wildcards on other decks just isn't feasible. On MTGO, I can build and brew to my hearts content.

Anyway, what I'm getting at is Arena isn't perfect for every type of player, and because of that, it won't completely destroy paper Magic. It would need to include all formats (or at least modern) and have some sort of secondary market or trading system - and until that exists, I think paper Magic will be fine.

JesGolbez and Lasraik like this

Arena seems to have actually pushed people into paper Magic, if some stories are correct

That said, WOTC is certainly killing paper coverage and putting all of their eggs online. It's so weird that they hold large events, but barely cover them. Why not both?

Lasraik likes this

https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/mythic-invitational

This was the big news item. This is big news, and great for the game, but it's coming at the expense of WOTC

1. Cutting text AND video coverage of GPs

2. Laying off contacters: Photographer, coverage staff, judges, etc...

3. Not communicating very well (hence, more worrying)

Arena has obviously been a big hit, but it feels like Hasbro is turning the screws onto WOTC and this is all being rushed. Why not promote both the online and paper events? 

Lasraik likes this

18 hours ago, JesGolbez said:

https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/mythic-invitational

This was the big news item. This is big news, and great for the game, but it's coming at the expense of WOTC

1. Cutting text AND video coverage of GPs

2. Laying off contacters: Photographer, coverage staff, judges, etc...

3. Not communicating very well (hence, more worrying)

Arena has obviously been a big hit, but it feels like Hasbro is turning the screws onto WOTC and this is all being rushed. Why not promote both the online and paper events? 

They must be losing money on events.  How many new players do GPs bring to the game?  Other than players who are already familiar with the game and mechanics, who do these events appeal to?  You have to be familiar with the format and cards to really follow along.  From Hasboro's perspective, do they even need these events to sell product?  The amount they spend on the event, contractors and flying their favorite content creators in from all over adds up.

I can see Arena not having enough options for some people that they turn to paper Magic.  The problem with paper Magic that I've experienced before I was able to get my friends hooked is your options can be limited.

When I lived in Reno I learned how to play and ended up with a few thousand cards in my collection.  When I moved back to Albuquerque I didn't know anyone else who played.  I went to a few local game stores but everyone was rude and I didn't have the desire to deal with those people to play.  So for years my cards sat and collected dust.  It wasn't until 5 or 6 years later that I convinced my friends to try and ended up with a regular play group.  In the meantime I found a good group to play with at a local game store, but I work weird hours and sometimes making those events proved to be a challenge.  Other nights I was available they were playing Standard, Legacy or Modern and I didn't have a deck good enough to even bother going.  With Arena I can be in my underwear at home and play Magic anytime.