Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Pasanda

Plans for the year

18 posts in this topic

Basically, we're relatively broke after shelling out north of £10k on the US trip last year. So we've decided to take shorter, less expensive, but more frequent breaks this year. So far, we have 2 planned.

We're going to a holiday resort on the North Devon coast in March for 4 nights. Here. It's not particularly glamorous, but it's dead cheap and they allow dogs.

Then during the week of the late may bank holiday, we're taking Fin to the Warner Brothers Harry Potter studio tour just north of London, and staying in a hotel for a night either side. Very expensive for what it is, but he is quite enjoying the whole HP thing right now. I'm reading the books to him before bed, and we're both loving that TBH.

I'm also going camping with Fin, a mate and his two boys, which we do every year, in early May. But i don't count that as a holiday, as Caren can't come - no chicks!

What have you guys got lined up?

Dunnar and Lasraik like this

Big year for vacations as this will be the first time that I have ever left North America.

Spending 8 days in Iceland:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1SjQuaECbjIruRluTr6IjZRVzlygLAz75&usp=sharing

Spending 2 weeks in France (need to update some more, but you get the gist):

https://drive.google.com/open?id=19EqJbw1TetZMvNe9zsW-vlzwrzm5EwhP&usp=sharing

Few things have come together for us as a family to enable these trips.  We've expanding our vacation budget as my son is a junior, so we only have a few more family vacations left.  We have made a conscious decision to start seeing exploring the planet.  And I've gotten better at stretching our vacation dollars.

Lasraik, JesGolbez and Pasanda like this

4 hours ago, JesGolbez said:

Americans who get more than 2 weeks of vacation in a year? :)

We have a big river cruise in Mid-April: Prague->Germany->Austria->Slovakia->Hungary

I want to hear all about that cruise. I've looked at those cruises and that's a route through Europe that I'm interested in. 

I am fortunate enough to get a lot of vacation time. One of the reasons I have stayed with my employer for such a long time  

Edited by Dunnar
Pasanda and JesGolbez like this

This year I plan to really push to get into shape and exercise more regularly.  I finished 2018 pretty strong, bicycle commuting to work and I started mountain biking.  

I moved back to night shifts for a year or so to catch up on expenses and get ahead.  It's a 15% night differential, so I gave myself a pretty good raise choosing to work nights again.

Trips planned to Ithaca, New York in June depending on how my son's Science Olympiad team does, the national competition is there.  If they don't make it to nationals we're going somewhere else, we just aren't sure where yet.

Pasanda likes this

On 1/31/2019 at 6:29 PM, Dunnar said:

Big year for vacations as this will be the first time that I have ever left North America.

Spending 8 days in Iceland:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1SjQuaECbjIruRluTr6IjZRVzlygLAz75&usp=sharing

Spending 2 weeks in France (need to update some more, but you get the gist):

https://drive.google.com/open?id=19EqJbw1TetZMvNe9zsW-vlzwrzm5EwhP&usp=sharing

Few things have come together for us as a family to enable these trips.  We've expanding our vacation budget as my son is a junior, so we only have a few more family vacations left.  We have made a conscious decision to start seeing exploring the planet.  And I've gotten better at stretching our vacation dollars.

Sounds amazing. I'd like to visit Iceland at some point. I hear it's pretty pricey though. So i do hope you're as good with your bucks as you think you are.

That French trip looks amazing too. Is that you're planned route? If so, I have a couple of observations.

1. The Dordogne is just to the east of Boardeaux, on your route. It's a river valley region, with a number of medieval towns, such as Sarlat and riverside camps, that are just lovely - especially in good weather. And awesome canoe trips.

2. At your southernmost point you will be only be a couple of hours drive over the Pyrennees to Barcelona - one of the finest cities in the world, and the home of, in my humblest, the most beautiful building in the world - the Sagreda Familia. It would be practically criminal to be that close and not go.

Dunnar likes this

4 hours ago, Pasanda said:

That French trip looks amazing too. Is that you're planned route? If so, I have a couple of observations.

1. The Dordogne is just to the east of Boardeaux, on your route. It's a river valley region, with a number of medieval towns, such as Sarlat and riverside camps, that are just lovely - especially in good weather. And awesome canoe trips.

2. At your southernmost point you will be only be a couple of hours drive over the Pyrennees to Barcelona - one of the finest cities in the world, and the home of, in my humblest, the most beautiful building in the world - the Sagreda Familia. It would be practically criminal to be that close and not go.

1. I will check that out, thank you.

2. So funny you mentioned Barcelona.  When planning the trip, that was the most difficult decision I came across.  I really really really wanted to stop in Barcelona.  However, in addition to a few sites around Paris, there were 3 bucket list items I wanted to hit in France.  This goes way back to my youth sitting history class, Palace of Versailles, stay inside the walled city of Carcassonne and visit the Palais des Papes in Avingon.

It will just motivate me to visit Spain in the future :)

Paris is a shithole that's outlived its reputation 30 years ago. It's rife with pickpockets and thieves and overpriced crap food. The only things worth seeing are the Sacre coeur and the Seine markets. The Eiffel tower is ok if you don't mind queueing for 2 hours to get up.

Welllll Perhaps it's not THAT bad, but it's not a scratch on Barca.

We're going on a Caribbean cruise in a couple weeks; 5 days out of Miami so just a quick jaunt around, but it's Marvel themed so that will be fun.

Probably moving this summer, from Canada down to Washington, DC for work, so I count that as a trip; guessing sometime around July.

Then not this year, per se, but right away in the new year 2020 we're doing a 12 day southern Caribbean cruise! (Wife loves cruising)

On 1/31/2019 at 6:55 PM, Dunnar said:

I want to hear all about that cruise. I've looked at those cruises and that's a route through Europe that I'm interested in. 

I am fortunate enough to get a lot of vacation time. One of the reasons I have stayed with my employer for such a long time  

https://www.tourradar.com/t/113484

That is the particular route we're taking. 

Dunnar likes this

20 hours ago, MTGandME said:

We're going on a Caribbean cruise in a couple weeks; 5 days out of Miami so just a quick jaunt around, but it's Marvel themed so that will be fun.

Probably moving this summer, from Canada down to Washington, DC for work, so I count that as a trip; guessing sometime around July.

Then not this year, per se, but right away in the new year 2020 we're doing a 12 day southern Caribbean cruise! (Wife loves cruising)

Reminds me of an old (!) joke ...

First guy: "The other day my wife took off for a cruise through the Carribean."

Second guy: "Jamaica?"

First guy: "No. She wanted to go."

*Bah-dum-tissshhhhh*

Edited by Elovia
MTGandME likes this

I was standing next to a Jamaican at the urinals the other day. The Jamaican loked down and commented on my cock-tattoo; asking whether "Shan" was my wifes name. I told him it was "Sharon", but it didn't show until i was excited. 

I then looked at his and asked if his wife was call "Wendy". He replied that it wasn't his wife, but "Welcome to Jamaica, have a lovely day".

Badum-tish.

On 2/3/2019 at 8:07 PM, MTGandME said:

Hope it pays well as DC can be quite expensive.  Another bonus, the traffic is awesome!

5 hours ago, Jag said:

Maybe Thailand.  Maybe Chile.

What's the draw for Thailand?

36 minutes ago, Pasanda said:

What's the draw for Thailand?

Young boys that dress like young girls and prostitute themselves out to older foreign men?

Just a guess ... :P

More seriously ... I think his father retired and lives there.

Jag likes this

11 hours ago, Dunnar said:

Hope it pays well as DC can be quite expensive.  Another bonus, the traffic is awesome!

Yep, tracking.  Government work and I've been there before.  I especially love navigating the beltway using a GPS that's a couple of years out of date; my wife and I must have exited into downtown DC three or four times before we gave up and headed 'east' for like an hour on some side road to re-orient. 

On 2/5/2019 at 3:23 PM, Elovia said:

Young boys that dress like young girls and prostitute themselves out to older foreign men?

Just a guess ... :P

More seriously ... I think his father retired and lives there.

A good chance that is his reason for being there, I don't ask because I don't want to know. HAHAHAhaha ha ha :(