Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Pasanda

New study

7 posts in this topic

I think i mentioned some time back that my old box room was running out of space as a study. I've been planning to relocate it to our spare bedroom, as it's hardly ever used and twice the size. We started the move on Friday, and making good progress. I have a couple of pics to share and comment on. It's a wide-angle lens, so the proportions look a bit odd.

The room will contain my gaming PC, the main file server and Fins PC. In the first photo you can see Fins desk on the right and mine straight ahead.

There's still a triple wardrobe in the room, which is going to disappear. 

If you note the window on the right and look at the wall space just to the left of it, it has a small painting on it. That's the spot where the Lego Falcon is going. There's a power socket just below it, to plug the engine lights in.

I gave Fin my old, but still decent, Cambridge Soundworks 5.1 speakers and bought myself the Logitech Z906 late last year. I've just installed them and they're wonderful. Can't see them in the photo, but the sub is huuuge. This room is in our newish extension. when it was being built i opted for sound-proofing to go into the floor of the room. That is now paying dividends, as sound is very effectively dampened down to the kitchen below.

The second photo is a work-in-progress of the shelving in the room. There's an extra 10 points and stacks of street cred for anyone who can tell me the name of the model on the top shelf on the far left, or even where it's from.

There's a few more models to go up there, including the Jawa's Sandcrawler, which i haven't built yet. I'm thinking of buying the Lepin Super Star Destroyer, but am a tad sceptical abut the lego-alike.

I also have two picture to go up on the walls. One i bought last year, but haven't put it up yet: https://bottleneckgallery.com/products/mark-englert-she-s-got-it-where-it-counts 

The other is a star destroyer triptych, probably from Etsy, which i haven't bought yet. Something like this: https://goo.gl/images/6gnxtU I think the idea came from Dunnar.

I've also discovered that, over the past few months, the puppy has chewed both the cable to the rift and the surround sound headphones. I can buy a replacement for the Rift, which is £50, but I suspect i might need to replace the headphones. That's £120 worth of damage by the little fucker.

2019-02-02 16.18.29.jpg

5c59bf7bdb76d_2019-02-0216_18_05.thumb.jpg.9bf6cf859126e5f0219a19b8e81d2087.jpg

Edited by Pasanda
Dunnar and Jazz like this

Finally... After a year on the kitchen island, the Falcon has been mounted. Repeat... The falcon has been mounted. 

Considering that it was just a Lego model, it was a mammoth project, requiring a special mounting bracket, as a i wanted to mount it twisted, and it's heavy - very few brackets fitted the bill.

Secondly, my walls are block covered with dot and dab plasterboard, which means there's plasterboard, then air and then a block. So i need to buy special longer coach-bolts. 15kg when extended on the bracket arms, creates a high weight load on those bolts. But it's well fixed. And it's fully adjustable, both in and out, swinging right and left, and it can tilt 15 degrees and rotate 360 degrees.

A few bits exploded onto the floor, struggling with my wife to get the model up on the rig, but 30 mins rebuilding in place should do it. 

Finally, i attached the electrics to a Echo compatible electrical socket, and renamed the socket "Falcons Engines". So now i can turn on the engine lights by asking Alexa to "turn on the Falcons engines".  Woo-hooo.

I will be tidying up the electrical stuff at some point. 

5c69dc7a7817c_2019-02-1717_12_34.thumb.jpg.f5eaa1db9b65673f023124dededb71af.jpg

5c69dc82a1d19_2019-02-1717_12_53.thumb.jpg.4b15a8716f501ae8a5ce309729d1b539.jpg

Edited by Pasanda
Dunnar, Lasraik and Boag like this

Think I got it.  You drill the bolt directly into the block to hold the weight. 

I'm not a construction expert, but I find it interesting how its constructed.  How are your power lines fed?  Do you have conduit running in the space between the block+plasterboard?  Our home only has blocks below ground for the foundation/basement.

What kind of beer was that?

9 hours ago, Dunnar said:

Think I got it.  You drill the bolt directly into the block to hold the weight. 

I'm not a construction expert, but I find it interesting how its constructed.  How are your power lines fed?  Do you have conduit running in the space between the block+plasterboard?  Our home only has blocks below ground for the foundation/basement.

What kind of beer was that?

Yes. The bolt is screwed into a wall plug (wikipedia says you call them anchors or rawlplug). I used 8mm coach bolts , which felt really sturdy.

In the UK, power for sockets on floors above the ground floor is supposed to be fed directly from below the socket, in a vertical run up to the socket. On the ground floor, it's supposed to be fed vertically down to the socket, directly from above. So in a two storey house, all the electrical runs are centred on the cavity between the ground floor and the one above (we call it 1st floor, you call it 2nd). 

With a dot and dab wall, or a cavity wall, yes, it would be run, more or less, in the cavity. When the wall construction is solid, plaster directly onto block or brick, you use a technique called "Chasing", when you cut a channel into the wall using a chasing cutter. 

Walls of older houses were built to last better than the newer houses. Anything older than, say, the 1960's would be more commonly built of brick, for both external, and internal walls. More modern houses would be built of brick or cinder block external, and for internal walls, often just "stud" walls, made of wooden frames with plaster board covering.

The beer is my current favourite (and it's been my favourite since last Summer). It's called "Life & Death". It's an American style IPA, made from citrus hops. Quite strong in alcohol. Quite stunning on a hot day, when you've built up a thirst. 

Edited by Pasanda
Dunnar likes this

8 hours ago, Jazz said:

That would be perfect for a VR set up room.

That was one of the original reasons for relocating in the first place. And remained so, until i found the Rift cable chewed through. I'll get around to it when my hearts back into it. And i've killed my dog.