Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Lasraik

The Division

14 posts in this topic

Picked up The Division on Steam during the Lunar Sale for $5.  Based on the reviews it seems as though it's more fun if you play with friends.

Anyone playing it or anyone that has played it?

I have not tried that one, although I did try my hand at Multiplication (i.e., with similar results as Leisure Suit Larry).

:D

Edited by Elovia
Lasraik likes this

On 2/11/2019 at 0:52 PM, Elovia said:

I have not tried that one, although I did try my hand at Multiplication (i.e., with similar results as Leisure Suit Larry).

:D

Ahh, Leisure Suit Larry.  Good fun for the whole family

ChuckWagonMTG and Elovia like this

10 hours ago, Lasraik said:

Ahh, Leisure Suit Larry.  Good fun for the whole family

... and still going after 32 years. Last game was released late last year: "Wet Dreams Don't Dry".

Is there an gaming IP lasting longer than that?

Edited by Pasanda
Elovia likes this

2 minutes ago, Pasanda said:

... and still going after 32 years. Last game was released late last year: "Wet Dreams Don't Dry".

Is there an gaming IP lasting longer than that?

Yay for quoting oneself. I got curious. Both Mario and Wolfenstein could be argued as still releasing games. But you might argue that Mario games are not the same style of games; they just have that character appearing. Comparing Donkey Kong to Mario Kart is a bit of a stretch. Wolfenstein, however, is still the same style of game, featuring the same main char, doing the same things, to the same people, and still FPS. Both are 1981.

Elovia likes this

The Bard's Tale came out in the early '80s, and just released a new version last year.  Arguably, they had a huge time gap between releases, but there was at least one between BT3 and the latest BT4.

Would Final Fantasy count?  What version/episode are they up to these days ... 20-something?

I also vaguely recall mention that they might be working on a new Ultima.  Might have just been a rumor.

The games industry is turning into pretty much like any other entertainment media ... lack of imagination and creativity of new concepts and IPs. They would rather keep churning out the same slop, or re-boot older slop hoping for a wave of nostalgia buys.

Pasanda likes this

2 hours ago, Elovia said:

The Bard's Tale came out in the early '80s, and just released a new version last year.  Arguably, they had a huge time gap between releases, but there was at least one between BT3 and the latest BT4.

Would Final Fantasy count?  What version/episode are they up to these days ... 20-something?

I also vaguely recall mention that they might be working on a new Ultima.  Might have just been a rumor.

The games industry is turning into pretty much like any other entertainment media ... lack of imagination and creativity of new concepts and IPs. They would rather keep churning out the same slop, or re-boot older slop hoping for a wave of nostalgia buys.

I get you, but i'm not sure i agree. I see so many hundreds, if not thousands of indie-games released each year. It's possible to get access to most of them if you look. 

I am one who had Dark Age of Camelot ruin every other mmorpg that came out. It had tons of shit, too long to list, that put it above every other one out there I tried. (And I lost a ton of money looking for a replacement, and WoW was one) I got one great real life friend out of DAOC and a ton of others who I really enjoyed being with in game. A great guild is huge. But also for myself, it was the ability to really mold "Avatar Me". I died alot playing my character out of norm for it's traits, but WE also won battles due to my setup that allowed me to play with a team who understood what I was doing, and allowed for them to support me in my weaknesses. A leather wearing hunter, high in toughness, pet, and strength and wielding a 2 handed sword, while low in "bow" and extremely low in stealth almost to a point I had none. Lol A bow wielding stealther toon with few points placed in either. What!

I loved it. Opponents - "Oh look, I popped a hunter, let's get his ass". I'd smile as I'd smack them for damage from a hunter, like they never experienced before, with my claymore, while confusing them with why they couldn't put this stealther down. (Too many HPs and points in toughness) I could hear them through the computer as their cries of "WTF", turned to "That Bastard!", as my stealther shadowblade friend(s), came out of what seemed like nowhere to slaughter them with backstabs and poison as their focus was on this hunter with the "upside down character creation". Props also to my pet and the ability to use him in ways other games don't allow.

Its 2019 and I'm playing NBA2K19, which still put limitations on individual character development. You would think by now developers would have come a lot farther. But no.

In summary, DAOC allowed me to create a toon more freely than any other, leaving behind the cookie cutter designs and allowing me to truly be the toon I wanted to be. (Hey Pasanda, let's go fuck some people up like the old days!) 

Elovia and Jag like this

4 hours ago, mykhal griffonhawk said:

I am one who had Dark Age of Camelot ruin every other mmorpg that came out.

+ more stuff ...

^ This ... +1

Jag likes this

On 2/16/2019 at 0:42 PM, mykhal griffonhawk said:

. (Hey Pasanda, let's go fuck some people up like the old days!) 

Good times my friend. Great times. With your hound woofing in the background and me eating Fish-mash n beans.

Hunters rock.

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Relic Raids at 2am in the depths of Hibernia. I have watched countless zergs collide like 2 handfuls of glitter tossed together in the dark over Hadrian's wall.  All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die. ~ Dakil

Edited by Jag
Elovia and Pasanda like this

1 hour ago, Jag said:

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Relic Raids at 2am in the depths of Hibernia. I have watched countless zergs collide like 2 handfuls of glitter tossed together in the dark over Hadrian's wall.  All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die. ~ Dakil

That was great. Reminiscing on both an amazing film and an amazing game simultaneously. I won't tell you what i just did in my pants.

Jag likes this

28 minutes ago, Pasanda said:

That was great. Reminiscing on both an amazing film and an amazing game simultaneously. I won't tell you what i just did in my pants.

No worries friend!  Incontinence is a common problem in the elderly.  We don't have to talk about it if you aren't comfortable.

ChuckWagonMTG, Elovia and Pasanda like this

On 2/11/2019 at 10:58 AM, Lasraik said:

Picked up The Division on Steam during the Lunar Sale for $5.  Based on the reviews it seems as though it's more fun if you play with friends.

Anyone playing it or anyone that has played it?

Damn its 50 bucks now.  That is a great pick up.  We love the co-op stuff at our place.  Let me know how you like it.