Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Lasraik

No More MSRP

5 posts in this topic

Indeed, here are my thoughts:

I'm assuming the main goal of this is to reduce complaining about the Estimated Value of products. Time and time again, WOTC releases product information, along with MSRP, and people point out that the product is bad based on MSRP. This is basically a way to release potentially bad, low-EV products without people complaining about how they aren't "worth it," This is particularly good since the price of products will be determined by the secondary market anyway. Case and point Ultimate Masters, which dropped way below the over-inflated MSRP and sold for way lower after launch.

On the less-good front, some stores sold the Challenger Decks for above MSRP, and that was with a "moral obligation" to play by the rules, so without MSRP it's unlikely you'll see those sell at a remotely reasonable price.

Also, with no MSRP guidelines, big box stores (or Amazon) are much more likely to sell at a price lower than any LGS could ever compete with, which is very, VERY bad for local gaming stores. Though this is kind of already happening anyway, so.... *Shrug*

Altogether, I don't necessarily think it's a "good thing" or a "bad thing," it just seems like they are sacrificing market stability for the sake of better PR during product announcements. A trade-off, if you will.

Lasraik likes this

Well, many countries don't allow MSRP as it amounts to 'price fixing'. We also know that the market usually dictates prices, and MSRP can mean nothing.

That said, it'll be weird to hear of a new product and not really get an idea of what the price might be off of the bat. 

Lasraik likes this

On 2/20/2019 at 3:58 PM, Affinity for MTG said:

Indeed, here are my thoughts:

I'm assuming the main goal of this is to reduce complaining about the Estimated Value of products. Time and time again, WOTC releases product information, along with MSRP, and people point out that the product is bad based on MSRP. This is basically a way to release potentially bad, low-EV products without people complaining about how they aren't "worth it," This is particularly good since the price of products will be determined by the secondary market anyway. Case and point Ultimate Masters, which dropped way below the over-inflated MSRP and sold for way lower after launch.

On the less-good front, some stores sold the Challenger Decks for above MSRP, and that was with a "moral obligation" to play by the rules, so without MSRP it's unlikely you'll see those sell at a remotely reasonable price.

Also, with no MSRP guidelines, big box stores (or Amazon) are much more likely to sell at a price lower than any LGS could ever compete with, which is very, VERY bad for local gaming stores. Though this is kind of already happening anyway, so.... *Shrug*

Altogether, I don't necessarily think it's a "good thing" or a "bad thing," it just seems like they are sacrificing market stability for the sake of better PR during product announcements. A trade-off, if you will.

That's a good point about big box stores or Amazon, especially with Wizards and Amazon working together now.  

I like the change, having stores compete with prices will hopefully be better for players most of the time.  Except for Challenger Decks and stuff like that, which was sold over MSRP anyway.