Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Jag

4K 43" 60HTZ VS 27" 144 HTZ

5 posts in this topic

For 3 years or so now I have been using a 43" 4k tv for a monitor.  I love the real estate, but of course, is capped at 60htz for a refresh.  I have been considering dropping back to dual 27's for maybe something in the 30's that has a much higher refresh rate.  I used to run a 27" monitor on the side, but in my current office with a total of 4-5 stations, I did not have the room.

Has anyone else made this change?  Am I going to miss the real estate I have enjoyed for so long with the 43" or does performance make up for it?

Pasanda likes this

I don't have much direct experience with your inquiry.  But that hasn't stopped me from giving my opinion in the past ...

I don't play games where performance greater than 60 fps is critical ... you may.  I have looked into getting a 4k TV plus as substitute for my current 20-30-20 PLP setup, but like you I don't have sufficient room on my office desk, nor would I like dropping from multiple monitors to a single one.  I always prefer as large of a desktop I can afford and fit, and more room to spread out information.  Large screens are awesome for full screen games, but I usually want extra information handy that comes on an accompanying side monitor (or two).  I'm a bit spoiled that way.

Two criteria that strike me as the basis of your question: refresh rate (60 Hz vs. 144 Hz) vs. pixel size and density.  As TVs get larger (for a given technology), their individual pixels get larger too.  An increase in resolution from 1080p to 4k packs those pixels in tighter, but they can still be large and so you'll need to increase the separation distance between the screen and your eyes in order to benefit.

The larger screen, in general, is better for immersion if you sit close enough to encompass your peripheral vision ... but not close enough to discern the individual pixels.

The human eye has difficulty distinguishing above 30 fps, unless you're one of those special snowflake FPS gamers who claim they're otherwise gifted and can tell the difference.  Unless you're rocking some pretty awesome graphics power (e.g., NVIDIA RTX 2080 ti), you're going to see ~60 fps tops on a 4k TV screen (a 1080ti is barely able, often on reduced settings).  The HDMI 2.0 standard used by most TVs does not have sufficient bandwidth overhead for increasing information flow to support much higher refresh rates.  You may find a new TV with support for a more recent HDMI standard, but that doesn't guarantee a higher refresh rate.

While the smaller monitors will likely provide more crisp display up close (due to smaller and tighter packed pixels), you'll still need plenty of graphics power to run two of them at very high refresh rates - but probably not much greater than a 1080 ti (you might want more than one card if you want ultra settings on both monitors at the same time).  And you'll have to put up with a bezel, but you would get multiple use virtual desk space (i.e., game full screen on one, have other info up on the other).

My ideal setup would be three 30" flat screens all in landscape wrap around.  Or possibly one (I don't know the size) large 4k flat or slightly curved screen in the middle with a 30" monitor in portrait on each side ... this is, of course, provided the pixel densities are similar and of similar height which is unlikely since 4k TV is 3840x2160  whereas 30" monitor is 2560x1600 (2160 does not match 2560 - the same is true for 27" monitor at 2560x1440).

/ramble off

Edited by Elovia
Pasanda likes this

I use a 34" 3440 x 1440 lightly curved LG monitor, which tops out at 60hz. I chose this for immersion over image quality. My gtx 1080 drives it fine with high everything, aside from some of the AA settings on a few more modern AAA games, where the fps starts to dip some.

I'm sure I'd love watching some of these games at 144mhz. But I'm even more sure i wouldn't like the cost of a monitor and gpu capable of running that sort performance on a large size screen. 

I have seen that around that the human eye can not distinguish higher than 30 or 60 fps, but that is only true when static.  Anytime there is a lot of motion or turning anyone can see it.

I think I am just going to continue to be grateful for what I have and save the monitor upgrade's for that awesome new desktop I am theoretically going to build someday when the one I have is complete rubbish!