Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Affinity for MTG

Modern Horizons leaked

17 posts in this topic

So there has been a MAJOR announcement regarding the Modern format that WOTC has been hyping up for the last month or so. I made a video about titled "Will WOTC Ruin Modern?" a couple weeks ago discussing it. The announcement is supposed to come later today (2pm PT) but the name of the set was "leaked" early; it's a set called "Modern Horizons."

I say leaked in quotation marks because it's very convenient timing to hype up the announcement coming later today, but apparently Channel Fireball released the upcoming MagicFest schedule and had "Modern Horizons" sealed events listed by mistake.

So, thoughts? It still sounds like a modern set with new cards that aren't going to be standard-legal. Looks like WOTC might be printing cards directly to Modern, and I do NOT think it's a good idea. :unsure:

D0futaMXcAEH_VF?format=jpg&name=4096x409

D0fioGUXgAAENK9?format=jpg&name=medium

ChuckWagonMTG likes this

Confirmed! New modern product will feature 254 cards, 249 of which will be "new-to-modern." Those new-to-modern cards will be composed of entirely new cards AND reprints of cards not currently legal in modern. Presumably cards that were printed before 8th edition, or possibly cards from sets like Commander/Battlebond/Conspiracy/etc.

There is no MSRP of course, but the packs will sell for $6.99 on MTGO.

Here's the link to the announcement article: https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/news/announcing-modern-horizons-2019-02-28

And a couple of previews!

wWvkVvZ04S.png   kyMKKpW9UH.png

ChuckWagonMTG and Lasraik like this

Really hope that this actually brings some prices down. ie., they don't focus on drafting and do what these sets are supposed to do.

Unfortunately it might do the opposite. There are only going to be 5 reprints in the set (254 cards, 249 of them new), however, if the set makes new decks viable it's likely to cause prices of currently-unplayed cards to skyrocket.

Edit: Although I suppose it COULD lower the price of legacy/vintage if they reprint cards from those sets. :)

I'm assuming they only way prices will drop is if the new cards/decks hate out current decks so hard that they stop being viable. That will certainly drop the prices, but only because the decks won't be any good in the new meta.

I like that they are doing something to improve Modern and not worrying about Standard.  Not sure about the name, though.  

Unfortunately I think the only way to bring down prices of existing staples is to do more reprints

I am a bit puzzled as to why there are no Modern reprints. Yeah, I get we had Ultimate Masters, but there are many cards that desperately need to be reprinted the hell out of (Manamorphose, Snapcaster, etc). I would love a blend of old, reprints, and new cards. 

That said, I am excited for new cards for us casual players to have :) Maybe it'll shake up Modern with a new archetype or two. 

Lasraik likes this

On 3/4/2019 at 11:56 AM, JesGolbez said:

I am a bit puzzled as to why there are no Modern reprints. Yeah, I get we had Ultimate Masters, but there are many cards that desperately need to be reprinted the hell out of (Manamorphose, Snapcaster, etc). I would love a blend of old, reprints, and new cards. 

That said, I am excited for new cards for us casual players to have :) Maybe it'll shake up Modern with a new archetype or two. 

Casual players?  :P

I have to admit, that old feeling of wanting to buy a box is starting to creep in again.  Damn you, Wizards.

On 3/6/2019 at 7:54 AM, Lasraik said:

Casual players?  :P

Yawgmoth has a card, and it is amazeballse562c6n7lr031.png.98653356af3804d0799aa3a5b8458a6e.png

Some of the cards have crazy designs! Don't know how competitive they are, but they are really weird and I kind of like them.

0049e68d-0caf-474f-9523-dad343f1250a.jpg36223e7e-bfa7-4393-b2a4-047f1dd30b93.jpg

6c02cc57-f589-4c5d-b306-cceb0ab3ce8b.jpg

Lasraik likes this

Missed opportunity- they will sell less for more money, but I wonder if it is to their benefit, of if they will miss out on sales due to pricing.

seems like it’s also targeting casuals and EDH players.

i am excited about some cards but a box is out of the question :(

Lasraik and JesGolbez like this

On 5/29/2019 at 5:07 PM, Affinity for MTG said:

Some of the cards have crazy designs! Don't know how competitive they are, but they are really weird and I kind of like them.

0049e68d-0caf-474f-9523-dad343f1250a.jpg36223e7e-bfa7-4393-b2a4-047f1dd30b93.jpg

6c02cc57-f589-4c5d-b306-cceb0ab3ce8b.jpg

Tectonic Edge maybe will see play? 

14 hours ago, Aurian said:

Missed opportunity- they will sell less for more money, but I wonder if it is to their benefit, of if they will miss out on sales due to pricing.

seems like it’s also targeting casuals and EDH players.

i am excited about some cards but a box is out of the question :(

Maybe going in with a few people and doing a draft is what I'm thinking.  Seems odd to have these kind of cards in a set that is targeting Modern, as you said it looks like it's for casual and EDH players. 

JesGolbez likes this