Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Kromide

New hopeful player question

4 posts in this topic

I'm new and I've gotten some starter decks from my LGS but I got an email about the new core 2020 coming out and I feel like I should just wait till it does instead of spending money on cards that wont be legal in a few months? Or is that not how it works. 

ChuckWagonMTG likes this

Kromide,

Do you just play casually with your friends? Or do you want to play in tournaments like Friday Night Magic? If you are just playing casual matches, then any cards are fine. 

ChuckWagonMTG and Lasraik like this

What @JesGolbez said! You only need to worry about what is standard-legal if you are playing in Standard tournaments, such as Friday Night Magic or Standard Showdown. If you are just playing casually with friends, then it probably doesn't matter - though you can ask them if they play any specific format, just in case.

If you DO need to stick to Standard, then you just need to avoid certain sets. Standard rotates once per year and the oldest sets all rotate out in 1 big batch. That won't happen until the fall or winter of this year (last year it was Oct. 5th) and the sets that will rotate out this time include Ixalan, Rivals of Ixalan, Core Set 2019, and Dominaria.

Guilds of Ravnica and Ravnica Allegiance won't rotate out until Fall/Winter of 2020, so those sets are perfectly fine to buy into...assuming it matters at all in the first place. :) 

Edit: Oh! And here is a convenient site that keeps track of what's in standard and when it rotates out: https://whatsinstandard.com/

ChuckWagonMTG and Lasraik like this