Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Elovia

Diablo I is now available at GoG

6 posts in this topic

Got it, not impressed with the so-called improved resolution, definitely don't expect a remastered or HD version, but good for nostalgia.

The game hasn't changed, but somewhere along the way we did.

As Jazz mentioned, the graphics haven't aged very well.  They're still 640x480.  The GoG version is compatible with Win10 right out of the box, and has support for widescreens.  What that means is you get black bars to each side of the 4:3 viewing area on your widescreen. But the GoG package does not include the Hellfire expansion.

I have not tried the classic-classic version. I've been playing the "enhanced" version most of this weekend, and if you can get past the graphics, the game play is as fun as it originally was. Arguably, more modern ARPG's have more QOL enhancements, but the game still has a great sense of progression and still challenges from each dungeon level to the next.

I've got a (MP/SP) rogue up above level 20 and she is not quite comfortable on the first level of hell ... she has to creep slowly to keep from pulling more than she can handle which is two or three mobs at once (depending on type).  I decided to skip the caves and jump straight to hell after the catacombs.  There's better gear lower anyway. Which I need to find cause her outfit is not quite ready for more than she's doing at the moment.  Need more resists and a better (faster and more damaging) weapon.

I played the hell out of this game more than 20 years ago (so to speak), with multiple level 50 characters of all types (including the new ones in Hellfire).  Playing through it again brings back a lot of fond memories.  Not all games from this age still have positive nostalgia, but this one does.

YMMV

Jazz and MTGandME like this

Diablo + Hellfire now available at GoG's summer sale, less than $10.  Just fyi.